Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to SansAmp Bass Driver DI?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1359019951' post='1948447']
Hello chaps, interesting thread!

I'm doing a theatre tour next month with the Kate Bush tribute and it's gonna be no amps on stage, with in ear monitoring only. so I'm gonna be looking at getting something like this. Not sure which one though... :blink:

Gonna be running two passive basses, both fretted and fretless (with some chorus on the fretless stuff, via my old Boss chorus pedal) - I know some of these have a facility for two inputs.

Any recommendations anyone?
[/quote]

The EBS Microbass II may be right up your street.

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1359019951' post='1948447']
Hello chaps, interesting thread!

I'm doing a theatre tour next month with the Kate Bush tribute and it's gonna be no amps on stage, with in ear monitoring only. so I'm gonna be looking at getting something like this. Not sure which one though... :blink:

Gonna be running two passive basses, both fretted and fretless (with some chorus on the fretless stuff, via my old Boss chorus pedal) - I know some of these have a facility for two inputs.

Any recommendations anyone?
[/quote]

I [i]hated[/i] the SansAmp with my fretless. As soon as you increase the blend... *bam*.. your mids are gone, which as you know is fatal for fretless.

I used three of them over about 18 months (SansAmp, programmable and Para Driver) and I had the same problem with each. I used to use a P, a fretless P and a J, and when I kicked in the SansAmp I swear I couldn't tell the difference between them on-stage. It sucked all the character out of them.

i switched the the EBS Microbass II, and... instant win. All the good stuff you get with the SansAmp, but without the baked-in SansAmp tone. And lots of other good features.

Expensive, though.

Yeah, expensive, but might be worth a punt. I'll be using my BB1200, a P bass of sorts (albeit a reverse P pickup of course) and the fretless BB405, which is essentially a jazz, pickup wise.

There's the Radial Bassbone too isn't there, I wonder how that would work out. I see Jimbobothy had one for sale, but withdrew it due to lack of interest...

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1359052527' post='1949145']
What do people think of the Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe? I see there's one for sale on here...
[/quote]

Excellent pedal, and a pretty good fit for the job you've described.

You can keep both basses plugged in for quick switches, each one gets three dedicated programmable stomp-buttons, plus a selectable FX loop option on each stomp-button, and the true bypass with all FX stomps de-selected is pretty clean.

It can run off phantom power, the batteries last a long time anyway, and the lack of a knob labelled 'Mid' isn't much of a problem. Built like a tank and the right size & weight to carry in your gigbag.

I've never got around to playing fretless through mine so I can't comment on that.

The Zoom B3 is well worth a mention here. It has a DI, It's got a Sansamp sim on it (with a mid knob!) among a bunch of effects, amp and cab sims, tuner, stereo outputs. The only thing it's missing that you might want is two inputs. But you can save heaps of patches on it for different instruments :)

Edited by chrismuzz

The two inputs thing isn't really crucial at all, more of a luxury really.

I'm a little bit wary of going through a multi effects unit; I feel like i'd be complicating my life no end lol. Something to think about but would prefer the relative simplicity of a DI box/preamp, my CE-2B and my tuner.

Which DI box/preamp? Still no nearer a decision lol :blink: - lots to consider, but narrowing it down slowly.

Oh yeah, god knows where I'm getting the cash for one either :lol: (been one of those skint months unfortunately :()

My BB1100s is cowering in its gig bag as we speak - could be the next bass to be culled from the collection, watch this space :(

Daft theoretical question before I go on holiday.

Could you daisy chain say, 3, of the Behringer BDI-21, each with a different setting? Which might kind of equate to the 3 stomp buttons on the Sansamp but still be half the price? And, if so, which would/could you Di from - if any?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1359379044' post='1953749']
Daft theoretical question before I go on holiday.

Could you daisy chain say, 3, of the Behringer BDI-21, each with a different setting? Which might kind of equate to the 3 stomp buttons on the Sansamp but still be half the price? And, if so, which would/could you Di from - if any?
[/quote]

you could do and DI from the last.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1359381548' post='1953802']
Probably the first thing I will buy when I get back from holiday :)
[/quote]

If you want to try my BDI21 let me know. Another member has it at the moment but he isnt using it. I could arrange for him to post it to you.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1359382152' post='1953819']
Dave that is a very kind offer. Do you not use it? Could be a plan - try before I buy! :)

I said I was a tightwad!
[/quote]

No, i replaced it with a BDDI a couple of years ago and leant it to someone on here. He didnt have a need for it but i told him to keep hold of it until we meet up, but that hasnt happened yet.. Hopefully he still has it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359382255' post='1953824']
It's all this cash you spend on your holidays!
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1359382495' post='1953830']
No, i replaced it with a BDDI a couple of years ago and leant it to someone on here. He didnt have a need for it but i told him to keep hold of it until we meet up, but that hasnt happened yet.. Hopefully he still has it.
[/quote]

Definitely sounds like a plan, then. And £26 towards my next trip! PM incoming...

Just to muddy the water a bit but it seems Tech 21 NYC have brought out a DI version of the VTBass. This could be quite an interesting box. I personally felt the VTBass MKI wasnt my thing but the newer versions have a bit more going for them, plus full DI output now.

There is already a thread on here about it although i dont think its out over here yet.