Why become a member? ×

£2000 for a new Ibanez bass ???

far0n

These got discussed at length a couple of months back, with much head-shaking & eye-rolling at the price:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118571"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=118571[/url]

I like the look of it, but pay 2 grand for it? Would I 'eck as like.

J.

[quote name='Tait' post='1209951' date='Apr 24 2011, 12:07 PM']You get Custom Shop Fenders costing around that much, I'd rather pay £2000 for an Ibanez than a Fender.[/quote]

Yes! This +Alan's number!!

I honestly don't mind Ibanez's. Or is that Ibani'? We're spoilt for choice and for me (just my opinion) Fender's aren't that imaginative. Theres better on the market which have followed from what Fender started.

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' post='1210126' date='Apr 24 2011, 04:44 PM']Theres better on the market which have followed from what Fender started.[/quote]

Totally agree with this, but the Ibanez in question is not one of them.

The only way this bass could be worth anything near the £2k asking price, is if it came with a vial of Victor Wooten's man jam. Even then, it would still be targeted at a VERY niche market :)

Why should an Ibanez not be £2,000 when people don't question Ritters and other brands for over 3 times that? Ibanez have always made very good value-for-money instruments, I doubt they'd suddenly bring out one that was massively overpriced.

Personally though if I had £2k to burn on a new bass, I'd get a custom Sandberg or ACG probably.

To be fair, the Gerald Veasley model is £5000+

But, if the bass fits, who cares what name is on the headstock?

The Ibanez basses under a grand i've played have all been ok to good, so i can only assume they improve as it escalates?

The Prestige guitars i've played are amazingly well put together and worth every penny versus a Gibson etc.

Wish they'd revisit some of their classic basses though now.

I'd pay through the nose for an Ibanez if it was 'my bass', as i'd pay through the nose for the right Fender, Gibson, PRS etc.

Edited by AndyTravis

I have 2 Ibanez's/Ibanii: a SR4005E Prestige (5er), bought last year, and a SR5000E Prestige (4 string), bought just the other week. Average price around £1300/1400 I guess. They are essentially the same bass, the difference being the no of strings and the woods used in the body.

In the interim I also briefly owned a Spector Euro5LX-EX. These basses are supposedly around the £2000 mark. However, the finish, feel and quality of the Spector is not a patch on the Ibanezz (yet another plural of Ibanez?). I always noticed that when going from one to the other. The Ibanez was also much nicer to play (for me), so I sold the Spector and replaced it with the other Ibanez. Now I no longer look in the 'Basses for sale' section - I have found my dream basses for now.

If anyone has any doubt about the value for money of these basses then go and check them out if you can - they will probably impress, and might even convince you to part with a four figure sum. £2k does seem like a lot though, even for an Ibanez, but remember that it can probably easily hold its own against and maybe even surpass other supposedly high end instruments like the Spector Euro.

I think its exactly the same as the higher end Peavey basses - Both brands tend to be associated with solid, budget friendly instruments.

Its not that there's anything wrong with them, its just that we're not used to brands such as this selling things with a price tag at this level

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1210360' date='Apr 24 2011, 09:01 PM']I think its exactly the same as the higher end Peavey basses - Both brands tend to be associated with solid, budget friendly instruments.

Its not that there's anything wrong with them, its just that we're not used to brands such as this selling things with a price tag at this level[/quote]

Don't forget Yamaha. There was a thread recently about Yamaha's appeal that basically was saying that because they make budget instruments, people don't take their high end stuff seriously, though anyone that plays a high end Yammy is usually impressed. It wouldn't surprise me to see the same thing here.

I wouldn't but that is because all the Ibanez basses I have seen recently have been ones to put straight back in the rack.

It is very hard for any brand that makes the cheaper product to suddenly be taken seriously charging a lot more.
They would have to work very hard to convince that the product is worth the difference without people thing where they cut costs in their cheaper lines..

It works both ways as well... if you are a bespoke maker and all of a sudden you put out a cheaper line, people might think..what is wrong with it..??

As a one off..then maybe you can sell it..

But this idea does not work for me...

Ibanez have always had a line of higher end basses. The SR series didn't start out as a budget line (AFAIK) & there's the Gary Willis signature bass which is well over £2k (& very nice it looks too).

Would I spend £2k on an Ibby? I don't know. My SR1000 cost me £800 & have been very happy with it for 20+ years so it depends on how good it plays & sounds.

Edited by xgsjx

I would spend £2k on this:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=80&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=2&series_id=469"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page11...p;series_id=469[/url]

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-sr5006e-bass-guitar-natural-oil-finish--60914"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-sr5006...l-finish--60914[/url]