Why become a member? ×

Name some songs with...

Tait

Basically, I've got a mate who plays piano to an amazing standard. We've had a couple of mess abouts, him on piano, me on bass before, but we've decided over Easter a group of us are going to meet up. Now we're just trying to think up songs that we can play. Ideally we want to keep into popular music that we all know and enjoy, rather than going into obscure stuff for the sake of finding a piano part. We're all to a pretty high standard of playing, although I have to admit I'm a bit worried about what the singer will be able to handle, and theres a couple on the suggestions we've made I'm not sure he'll be able to sing, but he can give it a go!

Just to get an idea, these are our suggestions so far-
Your Song, Elton John
Infatuation, Maroon 5
It Ends Tonight, All American Rejects (I don't actually know this one, so I'll have to give it a listen)
This Aint A Love Song, Scouting for Girls
Lovecats, The Cure (admittedly, this was my selfish choice. I wanted to give my double bass abilities a bit of a test, I've not been playing long)

So you get an idea of the sort of stuff. Coldplay, Oasis, anything like that really. I figured this is the place to ask, anyway!

Thanks!

Piano-led rock was quite popular in my youth. Which is why my suggestions are all old gits or dead:

Springsteen - Jungleland and lots of others
Meatloaf / Bonnie Tyler / Jim Steinman - keys all over their stuff
Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London / Lawyers Guns & Money
Beatles - Later period, e.g. Let it be
70's West Coast singer / songwriters - Jackson Browne, Carly Simon, Carole King etc
Genesis / Floyd / Yes - lots of keys but rather synth-y

Don't really know anything about anything after 1980. Oh - Keane?

Edit for: Ooh! Ooh! Don't forget The Doors! "RRRRiders on the Storrrm! etc"

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1208291' date='Apr 22 2011, 01:51 PM']Here's one for Herr Skank.[/quote]
Alan Price? Terrible halitosis. Never get into a lift with him.

For a bit of questionable breadth, how about Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and other 50's R&R piano-led sh*t?

[quote name='Tait' post='1208250' date='Apr 22 2011, 01:19 PM']Basically, I've got a mate who plays piano to an amazing standard. We've had a couple of mess abouts, him on piano, me on bass before, but we've decided over Easter a group of us are going to meet up. Now we're just trying to think up songs that we can play. Ideally we want to keep into popular music that we all know and enjoy, rather than going into obscure stuff for the sake of finding a piano part. We're all to a pretty high standard of playing, although I have to admit I'm a bit worried about what the singer will be able to handle, and theres a couple on the suggestions we've made I'm not sure he'll be able to sing, but he can give it a go!

Just to get an idea, these are our suggestions so far-
Your Song, Elton John
Infatuation, Maroon 5
It Ends Tonight, All American Rejects (I don't actually know this one, so I'll have to give it a listen)
This Aint A Love Song, Scouting for Girls
Lovecats, The Cure (admittedly, this was my selfish choice. I wanted to give my double bass abilities a bit of a test, I've not been playing long)

So you get an idea of the sort of stuff. Coldplay, Oasis, anything like that really. I figured this is the place to ask, anyway!

Thanks![/quote]

I think you are looking at this too intently and specifically...he should be able to make up his parts to most decent songs..

Chain Gang. Chrissie Hynde... our keys plays a great piano part on that, IMO

If he can handle Honky Tonk and you want an easy song..

Sweat Home Alabama.

Oliver's Army, but to get it off close, it is NO easy busk, IMO.

Sympathy for the Devil

But I go with the approach that most songs can handle a piano part..so blast away.
As long as the band makes room for him, it isn't a problem, IMO

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1208322' date='Apr 22 2011, 02:18 PM']Alan Price? Terrible halitosis. Never get into a lift with him.

For a bit of questionable breadth, how about Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and other 50's R&R piano-led sh*t?[/quote]Come to think of it, I do recall seeing a box of Gold Spot aerosoles in his dressing room.

[quote name='silentbob' post='1208366' date='Apr 22 2011, 03:03 PM']What about some Toploader stuff. I've always thought Achilles Heel was an epic song.[/quote]

That's a good call; also Train (most people will probably remember 'Drops of Jupiter') would work well.

Oh, on an 'American radio rock' tip, might also be worth looking at some Counting Crows and later-era Matchbox 20 too - most of the 'More Than You Think You Are' album had some pretty cool piano parts.

Edited by Ian Savage

Blue Oyster Cult! Check out their live album "Some Enchanted Evening"

Also - Bon Jovi (you might have to mess with the key if your singer has a limited or low range though - we've moved Livin' On A Prayer from the original E down to A to accommodate our singer's mellow baritone - still a huge crowd pleaser though)