Why become a member? ×

Opinions please.....

Jambo10

Right then chaps, over the last umpteen months gigging, we seem to be getting the same comments cropping up over and over again from the punters at different venues. Same can be said who watch the vids of the band on youtube and comment back on facebook or whatever.
Soooo, my question to you lot out there is, give your honest opinion.........and then I will see if everybody in the entire world says the same thing....

erm, by the way you're watching and commenting on the whole band , not just the crap bass player!

A female front singer for that kind of band just does not do it for me. Your singer in particular is just not suited to the material, no grunt to the voice. You need someone that can move around the stage and communicate with the audience, she is unable to do this if she keeps reading lyrics from a music stand. Even if she knows some of the lyrics to some of the songs, she cant truly rock out just in case she forgets the lyrics without them directly in front of her.

Sorry :)

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1206673' date='Apr 21 2011, 05:47 AM']A female front singer for that kind of band just does not do it for me. Your singer in particular is just not suited to the material, no grunt to the voice. You need someone that can move around the stage and communicate with the audience, she is unable to do this if she keeps reading lyrics from a music stand. Even if she knows some of the lyrics to some of the songs, she cant truly rock out just in case she forgets the lyrics without them directly in front of her.

Sorry :)[/quote]
Same problem with our singer (male), even after a year of playing virtually the same set almost every week!

If I mention it, I'm told I'm being too picky!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1206673' date='Apr 21 2011, 05:47 AM']A female front singer for that kind of band just does not do it for me. Your singer in particular is just not suited to the material, no grunt to the voice. You need someone that can move around the stage and communicate with the audience, she is unable to do this if she keeps reading lyrics from a music stand. Even if she knows some of the lyrics to some of the songs, she cant truly rock out just in case she forgets the lyrics without them directly in front of her.

Don't apologise at all, you are only repeating what all the punters say, you have proved my point in this exercise entirely.
The satnd has been given a date to go though, so fingers crossed she pulls it off, then the whole interacting and moving around stage wil happen more.
Cheers.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1206686' date='Apr 21 2011, 06:58 AM']Same problem with our singer (male), even after a year of playing virtually the same set almost every week!

If I mention it, I'm told I'm being too picky![/quote]

We have been gigging together now for 16 months and there are wee bits of songs which get missed out, *anytime, anyplace* section of Call me. When I bring them up at practice, I get told exactly the same...That I/we are picking on her!!
Cheers.

I'm with the others.

Your singer is very hit and miss, there's some songs where she sounds great (One Way or Another for example) then some that she sounds dreadful for (Whatever You Want, immediately following).

I think if she spent some time properly learning and practicing the songs, she'd improve. Lots of people think that singing isn't like an instrument, that you just learn the words and learn the melodies then that's it. It doesn't work like that.

The other thing if she practices stuff and still can't get together some of the songs, looking at the setlist from that one gig, I do think there's some she'll never sound great at, just because of her style.

No disrespect to your band or your singer because I applaud (quite literally) anyone prepared to get up and do it live as opposed to the bedroom warriors or those who simply practice/jam with their mates and never commit to actually performing BUT aside from the lyric reading (most bands I've been in for the last 20 yrs have had singers with lyric sheets as it's a crutch) I get the feeling from the short vid that your singer isn't an out-and-out 'Rock Chick'. She can patently sing and does some of that stuff well but (IMHO) I don't think she's comfortable with the whole ROCK/Performing side of things! I can imagine her being very good at Lounge music or even less rocky material but her dress/mannerisms/persona don't give me the impression she's 100% in with what you do... I stress this is simply a snap-shot decision based upon a 2 min vid, so don't go getting the hump with her as it may not be the case and I could quite easily be wrong. :)

Even if she is out of her comfort zone it's not her fault and I'd suggest that you could do far worse for a singer, so maybe look at the whole band package!

Where's my seat on these bliddy talent shows? :)

+1
I couldn't have put is half as well myself. The audience needs a charismatic focal point

edit: typos - not used to new phone

Edited by Roland Rock

I wouldn't worry about having a vocal cheat sheet out when there are other issues for me.

The vocal dynamic is too limited as is her range.
You get this with female vocals a lot but you need to help her shift around the songs more so it is not just the one continuous monotone type vocal coming at you every song.

Give her a chance to sing something really well rather than pound the same old set all the time.

You really have to go with what a vocalist can sing rather than impose on them a set that you want to do.

The band has energy but the thing that came across to me through that clip that it was all bish-bosh-bash and the songs all were delivered in the same way.

Agreed a little on the bish bash bosh, it`s a trap every covers band falls into, (speaking from personal experience) that they think the audience will fall asleep if they aren`t rocking out all the time.
Bit of light and shade makes the rocking tracks stand out and the lighter songs give the punters a rest from you demanding their full attention.
Your singer has a fine voice but as has been mentioned, she`s in her comfort zone.Try moving the keys around a bit to avoid that monotone set.
One thing though, I`ve never seen a band with the female singer wearing a jumper/sweatshirt and slacks...Not suggesting split up the side skirt and bodice but she`s not really made the effort there eh?
Good luck and may the gigs keep coming.
MM

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1206700' date='Apr 21 2011, 07:47 AM']I have just left a covers band after four years where the frontman always had his words out, It's mainly other musicians that don't like it IME.[/quote]

I don't doubt that some vocalists could do a gig with lyrics sheets and still do a fine job, but I think that the vast majority would fail. The audience will find the gig disappointing, and not be able to pinpoint why, but as musicians we are able to make the connection that the lyrics sheets are part of the problem.

Back on topic, as far as the original video is concerned, I have nothing to add to what others have said before me.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

Pretty much agree with most of the above really. Singer okay but bit more personality / stage presence / presentation would n't go amiss.
Also the guitarist and yourself could maybe look a bit more like you're enjoying it / wanna be there too? (Lots of staring at the floor!)
Know thats not always easy (been there myself!) but does make a lot of difference to the punterati.
Nothing that can't be sorted though, and would help the band get more / better bookings.
Cheers.

I agree with what's been said already, so I'll try not to repeat previous comments made. I don't play in a band myself (I'm a studio geek!), but thought I'd thrown in my tuppence-worth as I used to work as music journalist many moons ago...

The main thing I'd recommend in addition to what's already been said is to maybe re-think your set list... there's obviously nothing wrong with being 'eclectic', but I feel you're trying to mix it up too much. Sure, most cover bands have to be "all things to all punters" to some extent, but your currently track list doesn't work for me personally - at least from what I've heard of it.

It might be better to narrow down the genres of music you're playing - just a little bit - which will help to give you a more 'coherent' overall sound; but more importantly it'll help your vocalist to concentrate on a smaller range of vocal styles. At the moment, she seems to be struggling with the variety of styles you're playing, the end result being a bit of a "karaoke effort" - no offence! - but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Best of luck with it - and more importantly, have fun :-)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='JTUK' post='1206739' date='Apr 21 2011, 09:04 AM']The vocal dynamic is too limited as is her range.
You get this with female vocals a lot but you need to help her shift around the songs more so it is not just the one continuous monotone type vocal coming at you every song.

Give her a chance to sing something really well rather than pound the same old set all the time.

You really have to go with what a vocalist can sing rather than impose on them a set that you want to do.

The band has energy but the thing that came across to me through that clip that it was all bish-bosh-bash and the songs all were delivered in the same way.[/quote]

If you'd like my thoughts, then they'd be much in line with the above. I think I could have you play live in any pub I was in and enjoy it; no objections on my part, and I'd not be hyper-critical for no end. I didn't see/hear anything horrible there, and I'd echo Warwickhunt in giving kudos to those getting out and playing.

So...

Pick out some real belters which suit all band members, and allow you to breakout the vocals some.
Work on stage presence and engaging the punters - which I imagine would follow from the above.

I'm sorry too, I can only agree.

Band seems reasonably competent if lacking in finesse. But going from clip to clip, everything sounded the same, the only difference in each being the song was a different one.

Couldn't handle the singer I'm afraid, reminded me of off-season Blackpool entertainment. I'd have to neck my pint and leave.

I really am sorry to be so honest, I hope you're not offended by it. You did ask for honest opinions.

Sounds okay really, certainly nothing wrong with the bands playing or ability, but it's not really unique enough either (hope that doesn't sound rude?).

I play in a covers band, and we're lucky in that we have 2/3/4 singers in the band, so it all gets mixed up nicely. The guitarist does the main singing and we having backing vocals from the singers wife and daughter and sometimes a session singer. So songs sung by the guitarist have rich backing harmonies etc. We then mix it up with the wife having a few solo songs, and the session singer also, again with backing etc. This really helps in creating a very versatile and dynamic set that's interesting for the band as well as the audience. Lot's of light and shade as others have said.

There's nothing wrong with having a singer who has a limited range, but you have to be careful of it all not sounding very samey. Is there any way that you or the guitarist could do backing vocals, or swap the lead roles around? Also, really interesting and personal interpretations of popular songs can go down very well with audiences. We do this a lot in our band,. So people recognise the tune, but not in the way that they expect. If you do like for like covers of well know songs, you're always going to be compared to the original, so why not make it your own?

Agree'd with the other comments, but turning the sound off and looking at the band the other points would be the nervous rocking side to side the singer does and the shoe gazing from yourself and the guitarist. In my experience people loose interest in a band if you ignore them and stare at your feet/ fret board. I agree that singers should be trying to keep the audience by having stage precence but then so should everyone else.
Again just being honest and I don't mean to offend :)

I'd say two issues:

1) Your singer has a limited vocal range and onstage presence. She can be challenging to listen to and boring to watch. Not a good combination.

2) Your material seems one dimensional. I appreciate that you're a covers band, but there's nothing to stop you mucking about with the songs a little. Maybe if you tried a different approach to the songs (bluesier, slower, punkier, country, folk), you'd hit on a style that suited your singer's voice better.

singer:
Well I think the track that suited your singer best was the clip from One Way or Another. Perhaps throw another Blondie track in there. Otherwise I'd echo the thoughts about your singer.

You:
One thing I spotted with you was you seemed to spend a lot of time standing in the shadows, behind the PA (from the camera angle at least). To try and improve the bands stage presence, have you tried watching videos of the bands your covering, and look at the ways they hold themselves on stage?

Guitarist:
Not sure if it would be worth having your guitarist invest in a pedal or two. I think it'd add some element of variation of the guitar tone can change between songs. +1 to him looking bored.

On a plus, the instruments were playing well together, so kudos to that.

Edited by Zach

Hmmm, I can't put my finger on it. There's something that makes me think you guys could be so much better!
I actually thought your singer was quite good, but the songs don't really flatter her style and timbre. Maybe try slowing the songs down? Everything seems a little rushed and breathless (the music that is, not the singer).
Also, I think the songs you have decided to cover are quite characterless too. Again, as others have mentioned, I know you need to try to cater for everyone by playing songs that everybody knows, but you really don't need to sell out as much as you think to keep customers happy. Try and pick a few songs that are dynamically and musically interesting. I'm sorry to say it, but you all looked a little bored. Covers are supposed to be fun!
It just sounds like an un-mastered CD. The music's there, it's tight and it's ok... just needs finesse!

Truckstop

Watched it without sound - looks very uninteresting.

The whole band aren't interacting with each other nevermind the audience.

Remove barriers.

1. Music stands - low as possible and to the side, not between you and the ausdience.
2. You can't do anything about that rail, other than move closer to it.
3. Move that speaker to the left as far as you can. It's blocking the view of the band for anyone on the left of the stage.
4. Lighting is there to light the band, not dazzle the audience. If you move the lights to the front and side and point them at you then you won't be in shadow and the audience won't be blinded when they try to look at you. You'll get more eye contact with the audience then. If you have to shine lights at the audience shine them on the ceiling or floor not into their faces.
5. It's down to all of you to interract with each other and with the audience, don't leave it up to the singer. You have to support her not just musically.

Not all singers are front people. If you have a guitarist or bass player who is willing to go up front and be the looney that's fine but none of you are delivering the goods.

Musically I've heard some really cr@p bands who sell themselves and get the audience going. It's taken me years to realize its not what you play or how well you play it but it's all down to the performance.

[quote name='Jambo10' post='1206596' date='Apr 20 2011, 11:35 PM']Right then chaps, over the last umpteen months gigging, we seem to be getting the same comments cropping up over and over again from the punters at different venues. Same can be said who watch the vids of the band on youtube and comment back on facebook or whatever.
Soooo, my question to you lot out there is, give your honest opinion.........and then I will see if everybody in the entire world says the same thing....

erm, by the way you're watching and commenting on the whole band , not just the crap bass player!

[/quote]

I haven't read yet other people's comments... just so that I'm not biased...

I'd say the performance is a bit static... it almost (almost) looks at times like the band is bored.
I probably wouldn't have noticed somuch if the front-woman did a good "front". She just seems to stand there, and I really don't think her voice is suitable for 90% f what is on the video. And the remainder 10%... she's not that hot on that either.

There, I said it, trying to be brutally honest.

I think replacing singer would be in the cards. Other bits of the performance can be improved relatively easily, but a good front is very important... I just don't think she is it. :)

[quote name='Jambo10' post='1206690' date='Apr 21 2011, 07:05 AM']Don't apologise at all, you are only repeating what all the punters say, you have proved my point in this exercise entirely.
The satnd has been given a date to go though, so fingers crossed she pulls it off, then the whole interacting and moving around stage wil happen more.
Cheers.

We have been gigging together now for 16 months and there are wee bits of songs which get missed out, *anytime, anyplace* section of Call me. When I bring them up at practice, I get told exactly the same...That I/we are picking on her!!
Cheers.[/quote]

The stand is not great, but I think it's is a symptom, not the problem itself.

There's a local covers band called Blind Lemon, and there are stands occasionally (if I remember correctly) - not always - but they are fantastic. They're all great players (your band seems good in that respect) but most of all, the front man is larger than Edinburgh's castle in personality and interaction with the audience, without being annoying. It's always fun to watch them play.
I don't thin the stand, itself, is the problem.

Picking on her?
How are you supposed to improve anything if one cannot voice what they think needs improving? :)