Why become a member? ×

Do you tune your bass so the start, middle, or end of the note is in tune?

topo morto

Ok, so...

When you pluck a string, the pitch decreases as the note decays.

Having just got a korg pitchblack+, I can actually see it happening... the note starts sharp, comes into tune and then goes flat....

So I should choose - should I have the start, middle, or end of the note in tune?

I guess just after the start (because most notes last, say, 1/4 of a second).

Whadd'ya reckon? :)

Edited by topo morto

[quote name='topo morto' post='1125479' date='Feb 12 2011, 09:48 PM']Ok, so...

When you pluck a string, the pitch decreases as the note decays.

Having just got a korg pitchblack+, I can actually see it happening... the note starts sharp, comes into tune and then goes flat....

So I should choose - should I have the start, middle, or end of the note in tune?

I guess just after the start (because most notes last, say, 1/4 of a second).

Whadd'ya reckon?[/quote]

Er :) I,ve got a tuner app on my iphone :)

[quote]Whadd'ya reckon?[/quote]Don't worry about it.

[quote]Having just got a korg pitchblack+, I can actually see it happening... the note starts sharp, comes into tune and then goes flat....[/quote]Forget what the display shows, it'll just make you neurotic. The difference you see is totally insignificant.

Also see how much you have to move the tuner to get the note between the three extremes. It's not very much at all on either of my basses, literally the smallest nudge possible..
[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1126248' date='Feb 13 2011, 06:47 PM']I reckon it's close enough that no one will know.[/quote]

[quote name='SteveK' post='1126088' date='Feb 13 2011, 04:34 PM']Don't worry about it.

Forget what the display shows, it'll just make you neurotic. The difference you see is totally insignificant.[/quote]

does not compute.... flashing lights very many... must obey...

You're right, of course, but you wouldn't believe it from the number of 'most accurate tuner' threads kicking around!

[quote name='lowdown' post='1126783' date='Feb 14 2011, 10:35 AM']....Play in a Staccato style - like Rocco Prestia, then its to short to notice....[/quote]
+1

Also after the first number the heat, humidity and mechanical action will have caused changes to your tuning which will be far greater than the differences you're talking about. Guitar strings suffer from bending and the heat far more than bass so who's going to notice that you've tuned your strings to the start, middle or end of the note when your guitarist and the drummer gets going!

In the studio it used to be that timing mistakes, tuning problems and bum notes weren't always enough to force a retake. Bad feel always got a retake. The philosophy was, if it feels good we keep it.

I have to say that my strings stays rock solid on the green for quite a while so that is what I use after the initial attack which is pretty much there anyway, it settles on the green of the tuner frequency.
It may be how hard you attack the string that causes confusion but unless way out, I doubt you'll hear it.
Also, if your left hand is grabby you might get problems with octave slides..but this is all part of learning set-up and how you play.
Quite a few things can affect tuning...how you put on strings, the bass itself, your RH attack, your LH fretting, intonation etc etc etc ..but the goal is to be rock solid on the peg, IMO.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1125484' date='Feb 12 2011, 09:57 PM']Get a fretless and it all goes away :)[/quote]
+1 :lol:

[quote name='SteveK' post='1126088' date='Feb 13 2011, 04:34 PM']Don't worry about it.

Forget what the display shows, it'll just make you neurotic. The difference you see is totally insignificant.[/quote]
+1 :)

I generally tune up without thrashing the strings, so I suppose more like the 'end of the note', but since I play fretless all the time I keep my ears open.. any out-of-tuneness is down to me rather than the tuner!
The other thing which may help is to use a heavier gauge of strings which will reduce the amount by which they pull themselves out of tune.
Relax!

An electronic tuner is a sensitive device - if you are striking the string that hard that is goes out of tune so much that you are unsure of at what point to tune the bass with, then I'd suggest playing the string with a much lighter touch. Old mankey strings full of grease and skin can help to confuse electronic tuners too if they are dull - so it may be time to get a new set on! Finally, if your bass is set up with a really high action and you are tuning at the 5th fret (for example) you may be pulling the bass out of tune simply by fretting the note - which will in turn mean that when you release the string, the 'open string' note will be out of tune in comparison.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1126823' date='Feb 14 2011, 11:17 AM']To the OP: how many parts of the note do you get when you play the strings gently when tuning?[/quote]

If you mean how many lights light up - well, that's probably quite stable if I play really gently. The pitch decrease is more noticable on the 'strobe' mode. Still, that part of the note's decay is probably not what is sounding in a song.

I may have given the impression in my original post that I was actually worrying about this! I'm not, of course, and I know that there are all sorts of other things that have a greater effect. I just thought that it's funny that "a man with a pocket tuner knows if he's in tune; a man with a decent stage tuner is never sure"...

[quote name='topo morto' post='1130882' date='Feb 17 2011, 12:34 PM']I just thought that it's funny that "a man/woman with good ears knows if he's/she's in tune; a man/woman with a decent stage tuner is never sure"...[/quote]

Fixed.

Now you wont have the PC brigade and the ear police on your back.

Garry

[quote name='dood' post='1127131' date='Feb 14 2011, 03:02 PM']Finally, if your bass is set up with a really high action and you are tuning at the 5th fret (for example) you may be pulling the bass out of tune simply by fretting the note - which will in turn mean that when you release the string, the 'open string' note will be out of tune in comparison.[/quote]
isn't adjusting the intonation by moving the bridge meant to compensate for this extra tensioning when fretting?

Edited by Zach

[quote name='janmaat' post='1131941' date='Feb 18 2011, 10:37 AM']If the string does not hold pitch, you might have to consider some of the following

- change strings? old strings, and crap strings, tend to "lose pitch" in this way.

- change bridge? depending on your instrument, pitch can be more or less stable.

- is it just the tuner? you must let your ears decide, after all. "Don't loose your cool or you won't be better than the machine" (Zoolander)[/quote]