Why become a member? ×

What do you think about this?

MikanHannille

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMQ3wSqSA0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMQ3wSqSA0[/url]

What do you think of his playing?

I saw this vid and heard a lot of reactions (negative and positive) about his playing.

Personally I'd say he's playing good, but sometimes a bit too much. Less is more.

How about you guys? Edited by MikanHannille

[quote name='MikanHannille' post='1081891' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:54 AM']

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMQ3wSqSA0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMQ3wSqSA0[/url]

What do you think of his playing?

I saw this vid and heard a lot of reactions (negative and positive) about his playing.

Personally I'd say he's playing good, but sometimes a bit too much. Less is more.

How about you guys?[/quote]

I dislike his playing but even more so i hate that hat!

Rubbish. Sloppy, poor timing, messy technique and not a single contextually-relevant idea there.

But that's the joy of YouPube - every w@nky-hatted, self-obsessed little showoff tosser can be a legend in their own bedroom! :)

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='MikanHannille' post='1081891' date='Jan 8 2011, 10:54 AM']Personally I'd say he's playing good, but sometimes a bit too much. Less is more.

How about you guys?[/quote]
Did this come to mind when anyone else saw him?

If this guy spent as much time practicing to clean up his sloppy playing (attack, tone, timing, note selection etc etc etc) as he does straightening his hair and making sure his hat is at the correct 'jaunty' angle, he might actually become an alright bass player.

However, it looks unlikely that he would ever choose to practice instead of blowing himself pretentious kisses in the mirror and increasing his already sizeable ego.

P.s. Just listened to his Cee Lo Green and his bass is out of tune.

"All the gear, nee idea"

Edited by skej21

The sad thing is that he CAN play bass (OK note choice, number of notes and timing is a little out in places but when the red light goes on I'm sure we might all find ourselves guilty of the odd blunder) but he's coming across all showmanship/flash and lacking in any substance to his playing!

I'd not be surprised to learn that he is also a guitar player... and yes I consider the bass and the guitar separate instruments BUT accept that you can be proficient in both. However, I feel that where guitarists don't make good bassists is in the way that this guy is approaching it, does he not understand that there are likely to be other instruments in the band playing along with him?

I've a feeling if this guy turned up for an audition with my band he'd be shown the door pretty sharpish!

[quote name='skej21' post='1081951' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:40 AM']Did this come to mind when anyone else saw him?

If this guy spent as much time practicing to clean up his sloppy playing (attack, tone, timing, note selection etc etc etc) as he does straightening his hair and making sure his hat is at the correct 'jaunty' angle, he might actually become an alright bass player.

However, it looks unlikely that he would ever choose to practice instead of blowing himself pretentious kisses in the mirror and increasing his already sizeable ego.

P.s. Just listened to his Cee Lo Green and his bass is out of tune.

"All the gear, nee idea"[/quote]
LOL :) I was trying to be polite on my first post though. But I have to say the choice of notes is not that bad. Just the timing and how he plays it. And I must say this, the tone is horrible.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1081963' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:59 AM']I'd not be surprised to learn that he is also a guitar player... and yes I consider the bass and the guitar separate instruments BUT accept that you can be proficient in both. However, I feel that where guitarists don't make good bassists is in the way that this guy is approaching it[/quote]

I agre with this (the bit I deleted I feel is irrelevant since he's not playing with a band, he might do something different.

To me, the bass needs to be laying down a groove. A lot of hip hop tracks (like the one he's playing along to) have space for a good groove, but his playing in that vid sounds too mechanical to me. That's before going into the timing issues and how bad his slap sounds.

[quote name='gjones' post='1081961' date='Jan 8 2011, 11:56 AM']Awwww, I think we should stop crucifying the poor kid. He put it up on youtube to look cool and impress his friends at school.

And we then proceed to rip him to shreds!

We're better than that..............aren't we?[/quote]
No. If he's going to put himself & his playing forward for public scrutiny & criticism then that's precisely what he can expect. I don't think anyone's been at all unfair, and he genuinely does look a complete knob in that hat. :)

J.