Why become a member? ×

favourite signature bass model?

minkey1980

For me, these are the best:

Status Kingbass

Alembic Mark King

And both of the Urge bass models

I've never been one for people going to luthiers, having a high end bass made and then calling it their signature model. It has a touch of the "who are you" about it.

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1058083' date='Dec 14 2010, 12:18 AM']For me, these are the best:

Status Kingbass

Alembic Mark King

And both of the Urge bass models

I've never been one for people going to luthiers, having a high end bass made and then calling it their signature model. It has a touch of the "who are you" about it.[/quote]

There's a thought, matching shirt and scratchplate :)
Karl.

Some people might argue that in many ways my Status series II is little more than a "signature" bass - or at least it was at the time I bought it! Back in 1986, Mark King was at the height of his publicity and powers, and few bassists used Status basses. One or two spring to mind - Rhino Edwards in Status Quo, Dick Nolan in It Bites, Curt Smith in Tears for Fears, Pete Trewavas in Marillion....

The Kingbass is horrible though. Yuk. Not only that, it is a true sig bass as it was designed with one player in mind... I don't much care for that concept I'm afraid.

On the other hand, taking a specific model that a player has made "famous" and cloning it for the mass market (Like the Geddy Jazz) is slightly different IMO.

So my favourite sigs are probably the Steve Harris P and the Geddy J. Not very original I realise!

The thing that appeals about the Kingbass to me is it's single mindedness, and it's sounds. It does sound (IMO) considerably better then the rest of the wooden Status range at the minute. I know Rob thinks the Artist has more high frequency sound and attack, but I think both the Standard and Artist Kingbasses sounds fairly similar. They are both the most aggressive sounding basses in the Status range at the moment, and I think that is something that has sadly been lost from the Status sound.

You will of course know exactly what I'm talking about, and Status fans regularly look back at the 1980's S2's with the huge carbon fibre "paddle" neck which formed the centre of the body with wooden wings attached. These Status basses had that fierce, almost uncontrollably aggressive sound. Sadly, given that the S2 now features considerably less graphite than it did, even in the neck through construction, they don't sound anywhere near as aggressive or as good. I suppose this is due in part to new electronics too.

I still love the sound of Status basses, but the Kingbass stands out as being the real star at the moment.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1058148' date='Dec 14 2010, 07:28 AM']I`d love one of the Duff McKagan Fender Precisions, however being a tight-wad, they are too much at present, will wait til they start cropping up in the used section.[/quote]

Keep an eye on eBay for a 'Jazz Bass Special' which are the original Japanese basses that Duff used to use. I think I may have mentioned this before - I have an active version (Power Jazz Bass Special) and I think I paid about 200 quid for it. I read that the newer versions are different and possibly not as good, but I can't substantiate that till I try one for myself.

wow! Edit! Seems the price of these babies is creeping up!! [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2&_nkw=jazz%20bass%20special&_dmpt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283"]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH...d=p3286.c0.m283[/url]

The only signature bass I've ever owned is my knackered looking Marcus Miller Jazz, but the more I look at it the more I hate the way the larger control plate looks.

With the stock Fender preamp sounding so average I've taken the battery out and I run it through a Sadowsky outboard preamp instead so I'm tempted to find a suitable offcut of ash and fill in the giant hole in the body and put a standard bell shaped Jazz control panel on instead. So it'll be a de-Marcussed MM Signature bass. :)

In my collection I have quite a few 'signature models' as I have found many of them to be interesting/different instruments and I don't suffer from the insecurity some people seem to have when playing them... :)

My faves are:

Jackson 'Kip Winger' - lovely combination of bodywood, fingerboard, shape and EMG's...
Peavey RJ-IV 'Randy Jackson' & Peavey 'Rudy Sarzo' - both highly underrated basses combining lovely necks with superb construction, potent active electronics and a very easy feel...
Fernandes 'Nikki Sixx Spectorbird' - classic looks with Spector-style crown inlays and a full on rock n roll attitude!
ESP 'Masayoshi Yamashita' PPJ160 - signature model of the bassist of Loudness - unique 3P & 1J p/u looks with a vast tonal array as a result!
Gene Simmons 'Punisher' and 'Axe' basses - unique looks, great build quality and growling EMGs...
Fender Jazz 'Geddy Lee' - lovely 70's jazz looks with a sublime neck and tight tones!
Wal Mk1 'Geddy Lee' - black with gold hardware and ebony board. Not strictly a sig model, but built to his spec...

One day I'll get around to picking up a 'Steve Harris' P as well as the one I played recently was very nice!

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1058367' date='Dec 14 2010, 11:38 AM']The only signature bass I've ever owned is my knackered looking Marcus Miller Jazz, but the more I look at it the more I hate the way the larger control plate looks.

With the stock Fender preamp sounding so average I've taken the battery out and I run it through a Sadowsky outboard preamp instead so I'm tempted to find a suitable offcut of ash and fill in the giant hole in the body and put a standard bell shaped Jazz control panel on instead. So it'll be a de-Marcussed MM Signature bass. :)[/quote]

+1 I had a MM Jazz too and never ever found the preamp useable. I really liked the passive sound and used it for gigs and recording but ultimately the pure ugliness of the control plate forced me to sell it cos I just couldn't love it. Does that make me a bad person?

[quote name='Doddy' post='1057847' date='Dec 13 2010, 09:17 PM']These are the quantities quoted on the Reverend website....

Brad Houser 5 - 79
Rumblefish 5L - 289
Rumblefish PJ - 106
Rumblefish - 418
Rumblefish XL - 141[/quote]
Thanks! I'd not seen those figures before.

Mine appears to be a modified 5L. When I got it the VT + single/series/parallel switch had been replaced (rather badly) by VVT.

I've since replaced one of volume controls with a 4-way rotary switch (since the hole in the pick guard was now too big for the original 3-way toggle switch) to give each pickup individually plus both in either series or parallel. Surprising there is quite a difference in tone between the sound of the two individual pickups considering how close together they are!

No surprise that I'm voting for the Fodera Victor Wooten basses :)

I've owned a string of Sig basses but the only one I've ever bought because of the player association was my Bootsy Star bass - just had to have one but it really was too impractical and it's residing back in the USA now.

I guess all you Yamaha Attitude guys will be Gassing for the new Sheehan model that's coming out next year - I've seen the prototype, looks cool :)