Why become a member? ×

DR Strings - NEONS

xilddx

Just got the orange ones today and put them on my Corvette Fretless.

They look incredible, even in normal daylight. God knows what they are like under a black light.

I got them from Guitarsuperhero on ebay for about £20 including shipping. Bargain. Only took four days to arrive aswell.

Acoustically they sound rich in the mids and bright, and they reek of quality!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='silddx' post='1014257' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:40 PM']Just got the orange ones today and put them on my Corvette Fretless.

They look incredible, even in normal daylight. God knows what they are like under a black light.

I got them from Guitarsuperhero on ebay for about £20 including shipping. Bargain. Only took four days to arrive aswell.

Acoustically they sound rich in the mids and bright, and they reek of quality!

[/quote]
:) :) :lol:

Damn it man! Just stop it!

:D

[quote name='51m0n' post='1028538' date='Nov 18 2010, 09:52 PM']Imagein a 7 string each string a different colour![/quote]

What, like this only neon? :)

[url="http://img227.imageshack.us/i/dsc02520mediumfu2.jpg/"][/url]
[url="http://img505.imageshack.us/i/dsc02519mediumea2.jpg/"][/url]

:)

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='charic' post='1028761' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:05 AM']How do these hold up to heavy pick usage?[/quote]
From memory, DR did tests on the Neons by having a rotating wheel with picks mounted on it, striking the string in exactly the same place in rapid succession (can't remember how fast but presumambly something like a few times per second.) The coating lasted 180 minutes, 9 times longer than there standard Extra Life coatings.

From DR's website ..

[i]The K3™ coating is the first coating that players report, “sounds as good or better than uncoated strings.” DR’s new, remarkable, proprietary and patent pending K3™ Technology Coating is the first coating that makes no apologies and no excuses for not delivering sound equal to uncoated strings. Players tell us that these strings have more volume, less unwanted overtones, greater clarity and articulation then standard, uncoated strings. Yet, they provide the same protection due to corrosion and perspiration as well as increased tone life that coated strings are known for.[/i]

I got a couple of sets the Peacock Blue DR Strings a few years ago & whilst they looked great to start with, soon turned tatty looking.
They was a bit too bright & zingy for my liking & the G string wasn't up for much slap & snapped in no time (I'm glad I only paid about £25 for the 2 sets as they're extortionate over here).

[quote name='silddx' post='1028896' date='Nov 19 2010, 09:23 AM']From memory, DR did tests on the Neons by having a rotating wheel with picks mounted on it, striking the string in exactly the same place in rapid succession (can't remember how fast but presumambly something like a few times per second.) The coating lasted 180 minutes, 9 times longer than there standard Extra Life coatings.[/quote]
That's still less than a month at the sort of usage I put my strings through. Plus I haven't yet found a set of DRs that I liked either the feel or sound of.

Pity... because those Neons look fantastic.