Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire - Would he have been better as a reader?

xilddx

Chris Squire, one of the most revered bassists in rock music history. He has very little knowledge of music theory and as far as I know doesn't read music notation.

My question is, would his bass lines have been any more interesting, thrilling, suitable for the songs, or more accomplished, if he had been able to read music and had a good grasp of music theory?

This is prompted by the age old rebuttal "Yes, but look how good you COULD have been, if you had learned to ... ".

But just imagine if Squire's career falters and he has to take dep gigs. Say, with a Barbadian steel band or a Ragtime combo. Without the dots, that would be him finished.

So, on balance, if he really wants to get on in this business and be taken seriously, he should learn to read before it's too late.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1012396' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:31 PM']But just imagine if Squire's career falters and he has to take dep gigs. Say, with a Barbadian steel band or a Ragtime combo. Without the dots, that would be him finished.

So, on balance, if he really wants to get on in this business and be taken seriously, he should learn to read before it's too late.[/quote]

Quite. Just imagine how foolish he'd look. Heaven forbid if he turned up and a band had a trumpet player. :)

I'm pretty sure he can read music & has some knowledge of theory - as a child he was a chorister at St. Andrews church in Wembley (which at the time Squire was a member was regarded as the best choir in Britain) & would have been required to sight read for this.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' post='1012405' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:43 PM']I'm pretty sure he can read music & has some knowledge of theory - as a child he was a chorister at St. Andrews church in Wembley (which at the time Squire was a member was regarded as the best choir in Britain) & would have been required to sight read for this.[/quote]
I've no idea how much Squire can read but the point made above seems to me likely - even if he hasn't been practicing his reading skills regularly since then.

For what it's worth, Bass Player magazine called Squire 'a serious student of harmony' and when they asked who were his biggest harmonic influences he said: 'I got a big education from my years in church choir, which had a really good choirmaster. He taught us a lot about the relationship between vocal lines and bass lines in a choir setting, and I think I adapted a lot of that knowledge into playing bass and singing. I’ve always been very aware of the relationship between the bass and the top melody line.' ([url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/basso-cantantecontinuo-chris/jan-09/91289"]Source[/url])

I can't say I'm particularly a fan of Yes or Squire, although I wouldn't doubt his abilities.

[quote name='silddx' post='1012385' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:18 PM']Chris Squire, one of the most revered bassists in rock music history. He has very little knowledge of music theory and as far as I know doesn't read music notation.

My question is, would his bass lines have been any more interesting, thrilling, suitable for the songs, or more accomplished, if he had been able to read music and had a good grasp of music theory?

This is prompted by the age old rebuttal "Yes, but look how good you COULD have been, if you had learned to ... ".[/quote]
Why would being able to read notation make a difference when you are creating the basslines. It matters not to me that Chris may or may not read or have knowledge of musical theory. Where do you get your information from? I have had great pleasure for many years listening to YES music, recorded and live. In particular Chris's playing. Even before I took up playing. He may have been my inspiration.
Theory and musical knowledge are all very well but feeling has a lot to do with it as well. I'll stop now and get off my soapbox. Long live YES.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1012755' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:41 PM'] [/quote]

I've never thought much of Squire, but I suppose a lot of that is to do with me thinking that YES are a load of crap. Who knows, maybe if he had read music YES would have been susbstantially different and I would have liked them? We will never know.

What I do know though, is that the guy interviewing Chris in the video looks and sounds like a total idiot.

Reading and theory knowledge mean you don't have to do too much on-the-spot problem solving (ie: you know that E is the third of C major and don't have to trial-and-error Eb, listen and decide).

But theory or no theory, you've still got to listen. That's what Dylan, Lennon, Squire and the rest of the non-studied universe do: listen and make critical decisions. Also, studiers and non-studiers alike sometimes do not listen and that is generally just rubbish musicianship whether or not you've studied.

Dan

[quote name='silddx' post='1012385' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:18 PM']Chris Squire, one of the most revered bassists in rock music history. He has very little knowledge of music theory and as far as I know doesn't read music notation.

My question is, would his bass lines have been any more interesting, thrilling, suitable for the songs, or more accomplished, if he had been able to read music and had a good grasp of music theory?[/quote]

Let's look at it another way:

Ludwig van Beethoven, one of the most revered composers in music history. He had lost all his hearing ability by the time he wrote some of his greatest works (such as the late quartets).

My question is, would these works have been any more interesting, thrilling, or more accomplished, if he had been able to hear a goddam thing?

Well. we'll never know, but does that in any way throw doubt on the assumption that in general it's better for a musician to have good hearing than to be stone deaf? Does it mean that wearing ear-plugs to protect our hearing is a waste of time?

If you can't be arsed to learn to read music, that's really up to you. But please spare us the b/s "reasons" as to why it doesn't matter. I doubt you're convincing anyone, even yourself :)

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='silddx' post='1012385' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:18 PM']Chris Squire, one of the most revered bassists in rock music history. He has very little knowledge of music theory and as far as I know doesn't read music notation.[/quote]

For the record, I do not believe one has to be able to read music or have a formal knowledge of music theory to create good basslines.

On the other hand, if one looks deeply at good pop & rock songs, it is frequently the case that there is at least one member of the band who has a formal knowledge of music and/or who is really clued up. Not so pretty/more mature keyboard player syndrome anyone? :-)

Failing this, there is often a collaborator such as the producer, musical director or arranger who really knows what they are doing.

Because of the peculiary British reverse snobbery attitude to "book learning", and consequent protestations of ignorance by many musicians, you sometimes have to dig pretty deep to find this, but it is often there.

Jennifer

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1012396' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:31 PM']But just imagine if Squire's career falters and he has to take dep gigs. Say, with a Barbadian steel band or a Ragtime combo.[b] Without the dots, that would be him finished.[/b][/quote]

Nah...he could join a Yes tribute band.But then again he might be to old and image challanged.

Garry

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1013005' date='Nov 5 2010, 09:36 AM']Let's look at it another way:

Ludwig van Beethoven, one of the most revered composers in music history. He had lost all his hearing ability by the time he wrote some of his greatest works (such as the late quartets).

My question is, [color="#FF0000"]would these works have been any more interesting, thrilling, or more accomplished, if he had been able to hear a goddam thing?[/color]Well. we'll never know, but does that in any way throw doubt on the assumption that in general it's better for a musician to have good hearing than to be stone deaf? Does it mean that wearing ear-plugs to protect our hearing is a waste of time?

If you can't be arsed to learn to read music, that's really up to you. But please spare us the b/s "reasons" as to why it doesn't matter. I doubt you're convincing anyone, even yourself :)[/quote]

Mahler though so which is why he reorchestrated some of Beethoven's works. I like to paraphrase Pratchett 'going deaf for Beethoven didn't stop him hearing the music, it just stopped him hearing the distractions'.