Why become a member? ×

Another should I leave my band thread?

waynepunkdude

Right my band are quite established, never going to go anywhere but get some good support slots so I'm happy with that.

The guitarist has just graduated as a 'graphic designer' and takes everything far too seriously and basically thinks he knows everything, he doesn't take input any more, if anyone comes up with an idea he will say "I like it but lets go my way" now he is in another band with the drummer from this band (I was in it too but I left because I hated being in another band with him) they had a gig the other day and someone in the crowd videoed it and put it on Youtube everyone in that band was happy that someone took the time, he saw it and sent the guy an email basically telling him where he went wrong in making the video and that the camera should always be pointed at the band. That is crossing a huge line for me so I'm left with a choice I can either leave or ask the guys to carry on without him, the drummer is my best friend and he is pissed off with him too.

/rant

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1011920' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:21 PM']Right my band are quite established, never going to go anywhere but get some good support slots so I'm happy with that.

The guitarist has just graduated as a 'graphic designer' and takes everything far too seriously and basically thinks he knows everything, he doesn't take input any more, if anyone comes up with an idea he will say "I like it but lets go my way" now he is in another band with the drummer from this band (I was in it too but I left because I hated being in another band with him) they had a gig the other day and someone in the crowd videoed it and put it on Youtube everyone in that band was happy that someone took the time, he saw it and sent the guy an email basically telling him where he went wrong in making the video and that the camera should always be pointed at the band. That is crossing a huge line for me so I'm left with a choice I can either leave or ask the guys to carry on without him, the drummer is my best friend and he is pissed off with him too.

/rant[/quote]

i always see it that there are sooooo many musicians, sack the bugger and find someone with less of an ego

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1011920' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:21 PM']The guitarist has just graduated as a 'graphic designer' and takes everything far too seriously and basically thinks he knows everything,[/quote]

A designer who thinks they know everything - never heard of that before :)

sounds like you and the drummer should split and try to find another guitarist who isnt an idiot ( might take a bit of time though :) )

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1011932' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:26 PM']sounds like you and the drummer should split and try to find another guitarist who isnt an idiot ( might take a bit of time though :) )[/quote]
+1

Once resentment sets in, its difficult to shake off and the fun of being in the band will never be the same

Bin him. Guitarists? £1 a bowl mate.

Your banjo player is due for a rude wake-up call by the sounds of it. Having a degree in GD is no guarantee of getting anything decent unless he's also a s**t-hot web coder & actionscript developer as far as I can judge at the moment. Some pretty shonky pay rates on offer too.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1011920' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:21 PM']Right my band are quite established, never going to go anywhere but get some good support slots so I'm happy with that.

/rant[/quote]
Isn't he your singer too? If he is that's a mighty big hole to fill. I did that about 4 years ago and we ended up going from a 4 piece to a 5 piece = less cash.

But the normal advice on here has to be life's to short, start a new project with a more democratic decision making process.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1011920' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:21 PM']Right my band are quite established, never going to go anywhere but get some good support slots so I'm happy with that.

The guitarist has just graduated as a 'graphic designer' and takes everything far too seriously and basically thinks he knows everything, he doesn't take input any more, if anyone comes up with an idea he will say "I like it but lets go my way" ......

/rant[/quote]
I've struggled on with too many line-ups which started as a democracy only for one member to, basically, claim the band as 'theirs'.
Leave now rather than later, IMHO!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1012032' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:37 PM']The thing about guitarists that I don't get is the self-importance. There are lots of guitarists - far more than bassists, vocalists & drummers put together.

So why don't they grasp quite how [b]replaceable[/b] they are?

Jon.[/quote] :)
:)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1012032' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:37 PM']The thing about guitarists that I don't get is the self-importance. There are lots of guitarists - far more than bassists, vocalists & drummers put together.

So why don't they grasp quite how [b]replaceable[/b] they are?

Jon.[/quote]

I honestly believe that the [b]majority[/b] of guitarists are so focused on their own little part ( the dreaded guitar solo ) that they genuinely dont get the fact that there is a song going on around them !

[quote name='Rich' post='1011945' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:34 PM']Life's too short to spend time with people you don't get on with. Talk to the rest of the band and see if they're of a like mind to you & sticksman. If they are, show banjo the door. If they aren't, walk.[/quote]

I'm with Rich 100% here and this is basically the mantra that I live my life by (ok, just the first half and the general sentiment).

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1011995' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:09 PM']Cheers guys as always the answer is obvious, just been talking with the drummer (I work with him) think we are gonna go for something new in the new year.[/quote]
Smart decision. Best of luck

The old guitarist in our band was a mouthy, arrogant, obnoxious jerk, who used to announce his arrival at rehearsals by shouting "OK, THE TALENT HAS ARRIVED!"

After a few months, we split the band up and re-formed a few weeks later with a new guitarist.... He wasn't best pleased when he found out, and has spent the last few weeks trying to poach our other guitarist for his new "band"

Needless to say, everyone is much happier and we have a lot more enthusiasm nowdays.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1011920' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:21 PM']The guitarist has just graduated as a 'graphic designer' and takes everything far too seriously and basically thinks he knows everything, he doesn't take input any more, if anyone comes up with an idea he will say "I like it but lets go my way"[/quote]

Prepare him for the reality of life as a graphic designer: tell him at 9pm that you need 4 songs written by 8am the next morning, let him do exactly what he wants to do, and then piece by piece change every element of everything he creates until it is nothing like his original creation but just how you want it to be... :)

In your situation, either sack him, or get someone to say what you all require of each other as a band, and that anyone not fulfilling that is essentially handing their resignation in.

I had exactly the same situation in an old band where everything our guitarist said was "I`m not" "I won`t" "I don`t think that" "In my opinion" etc. Never "should we" "what do we all think". There was never any consideration for any of the rest of the band, it was all about him.

We`d already started working on the premise that the next time he refused to play a gig, the rest of the band would do it as a 4-piece, and accept the obvious resignation. Luckily, it never came to that, as he left, but I`d never work with someone like that again.

• 1 month later...