Why become a member? ×

how did you end up as a bass player?

lojo

Whatever your level and whatever other instruments you play also, how did you end up as a "bass player", not the obvious choice for most you'd have to say

For me, since a young age I was attracted to the electric bass sound on the radio and on records, by mid teens I knew I wanted to play bass

I regret not learning reading, and hope to rectify that starting soon, but I continue to love playing, listening to and watching bass players

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='1011601' date='Nov 4 2010, 07:17 AM']For me, since a young age I was attracted to the electric bass sound on the radio and on records, by mid teens I knew I wanted to play bass[/quote]

That and this:

[quote name='johnny_frog' post='1011606' date='Nov 4 2010, 07:31 AM']2 words... steve harris
iron maiden was about the first band I really took to when I was a kid[/quote]

Plus my dad played bass in the 60s and always talked about it.

Same as:

For me, since a young age I was attracted to the electric bass sound on the radio and on records, by mid teens I knew I wanted to play bass

Plus, hearing Bruce Foxton in The Jam, and JJ Burnell in The Stranglers bringing the bass up front in the music inspired me even more.

I played classical guitar for 2 years or so as a kid, then I learned the bass line for I want you back by the Jackson 5 and tadaaaaa, instant bass player. I didn't get a bass until I realised that the 2 bands in my year group at school both needed bass players though. Never since or again will I ever be in 2 bands at the same time.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1011659' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:38 AM']I was the ugly, boring one so the others told me to stand at the back and forget about pulling birds.[/quote]

Lol.

I always got told the bass player was the cool mysterious one!

Anyway, I digress!

One band for me: Nirvana. Nope, the basslines arent stunning or that fun to play (some of them are mind) but the sound, and the fact it was different, totally attracted me. Then with every band I found out about, I started listening and pulling out the basslines.

My parents bought me an Precision copy Encore Bass (Black/White/Rosewood), and I had professional lessons. I still think these DEFINITELY helped me gain the edge I have over the other people I grew up with who took the same path. Technique, speed, and patience were all part and parcel of the lessons and I managed to play some lines I never thought I could.

I wish I listened to my tutor a little more back then though. He was pushing me to try both pick and fingerstyle, but I stuck it out with the pick as my main technique until Summer 2009, when I decided I was way too experienced to not have a good fingerstyle technique.

Ffwd to now, and its going well...although I should practice more!

I'm sure you were just using a fairly common expression - but I haven't 'ended up' playing bass at all.

It was a deliberate and considered choice based on two things. I heard an amazing sound listening to Slade records , it turned out to be Jim Lea's 'lead' bass playing and I wanted some of it. Secondly I had several friends learning guitar who were more advanced than I , I figured I could make my own niche by learning a different instrument. That turned out to be a good move as I was making music in bands long before any of them.

I set out to make music. Playing bass was , and is , just a part of that and , for me , will always remain a tactic in an overall strategy.

I'm 15 - my mates all start playing guitar because its suddenly cool to do so.

There's a guitar and a bass in my house.

I pick up guitar - I can't play along to songs because I can't play chords.

I pick up bass - I can play along to songs with simple basslines.

9 years later... I can play along to songs with slightly more advanced bass lines, and I still can't play guitar (or rather don't want to)

I was mesmerised watching Simon Gallup of The Cure, and I loved the sound, his tone I thought at the time was excellent, and I wanted to do it to!

Went to Monkey business down in Romford, picked up the cheapest bass and got on with it- that was 20 odd years ago! stopped after a few years, then Start of last year fell into a Band by chance, and have been on the steepest learning curve ever!

But I love it!

I learned basic guitar during my schooldays and was always messing around with music and recording (anyone remember Akai 4000DS 1/4-inch reel-to-reels with sound-on-sound for multitracking? I remember being drawn to the basslines in songs from a very early age and would generally pick out the bassline rather than the melody on my guitar.

My first bass & amp (USA P-bass and Laney rig) was borrowed from my brother-in-law (for 5 years!) and was a complete revelation. I immediately felt at home with a real bass instead of messing around with the bottom four strings of a strat.

I later decided to learn drums and spent a couple of years playing at home before discovering that a bunch of workmates had similar musical leanings, so we decided to get together and see what happened. It turned out that the keys player was a better drummer than I was, and I was a better bass player than he was, so we swapped and the rest is history. :)

Same as various other folk, I always picked up on and followed the bassline of tunes I heard on the radio or wherever. After a fruitless dabble with acoustic guitar at night-school, I eventually decided to take the plunge and bought my first bass (a Tanglewood P-copy) about 16 years ago. Used to jam with a mate from work who played guitar, but then other stuff got in the way and although I've never actually been without a bass, they just sat around in their gigbags gathering dust for a few years.

Then a couple of years ago, a combination of redundancy / early retirement and a change in family circumstances flicked the switch again, I acquired a couple of Squiers (which TBH I didn't [i]really [/i]need, already having a couple of Jap Fenders, but hey... :) ) and a couple of decent amps, and am now playing more than ever before. It's never going to be more than a hobby for me, but I do enjoy losing myself for a couple of hours in my (admittedly quite small, but slowly increasing) repertoire of basslines.