Why become a member? ×

Decent & Cheap Cables

Kohpnyn

Where can I get them? I don't want overly long ones, and I don't want overly expensive ones.
I don't really care much about them being super-high-quality-non-oxide-copper-ionised-unobtanium-cored or whatever. I want ones that work to a decent standard.
Is my best bet making my own?

i swear by tweed covered leads, mainly because they simply don't get tangled up and as a result i'm yet to have one fail on me (after using them for about 3 years) whereas i've had countless standard leads break after a few months of use.
makes life alot easier when setting up for a gig too, no 5 mins wasted untangling cables.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1004630' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:56 AM']'Insert obligatory Spectraflex plug here'

Seriously though..... Spectraflex make great cables.[/quote]

Another bump for Dave (OBBM) - I'm about to put another order in myself as it happens.... :)

cheapest option by far is to make your own. If you're doing a few then I used to find studiospares prices were pretty competitive for components, good range too. It's worth using decent cable as the jackets are much more resistant to stretching and horrible coiling/kinking that you can never get rid of.

If you want one, it needs to be top notch and you want it NOW, then I'd get one ordered (to your requirements) from Dave (OBBM).

However, if you've got time to gather the cables, connectors soldering kit etc and do your own, then that can be satisfying; though the initial outlay is expensive. Alternatively watch on here or eBay for folks selling 'as new' (don't buy really old cast-offs from other people, it's a false economy) quality cables such as the likes of Spectraflex.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1004951' date='Oct 29 2010, 11:42 AM']If you want one, it needs to be top notch and you want it NOW, then I'd get one ordered (to your requirements) from Dave (OBBM).

However, if you've got time to gather the cables, connectors soldering kit etc and do your own, then that can be satisfying; though the initial outlay is expensive. Alternatively watch on here or eBay for folks selling 'as new' (don't buy really old cast-offs from other people, it's a false economy) quality cables such as the likes of Spectraflex.[/quote]

+1

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Colledge' post='1004430' date='Oct 28 2010, 08:53 PM']i swear by tweed covered leads, mainly because they simply don't get tangled up and as a result i'm yet to have one fail on me (after using them for about 3 years) whereas i've had countless standard leads break after a few months of use.
makes life alot easier when setting up for a gig too, no 5 mins wasted untangling cables.[/quote]

Agree.....Fender Premium gets a thumbs up from me

[quote name='Kohpnyn' post='1006517' date='Oct 30 2010, 05:15 PM']Thanks for the recommendations. I'm far too clumsy for making my own cables, so I guess I'll go for some of OBBM's.
Anyone know the difference between the Vandamme and the Klotz cable?[/quote]

Klotz is the typical good quality OFC cable.
Van Damme is also OFC but is silver plated and therefore has less resistance.

Every cable I own has a Velcro cable tie (or one-between two depending on the use of the cable). They're relatively dear (you pay about £1 per cable), but they save so much hassle, time and money.

My advice would be whatever cable you buy, nip to B&Q and get a pack or two. Seriously.

Dan

[quote name='icastle' post='1024222' date='Nov 15 2010, 03:00 AM']Klotz is the typical good quality OFC cable.
Van Damme is also OFC but is silver plated and therefore has less resistance.[/quote]

According to their published specifications, both cables have the same sized inner conductors and the same resistance per Km.

The main difference is the capacitance between core and shield where Vandamme quote < 98 pf/m and Klotz quote 70 pF/m.

BTW Vandamme core has 3 silver plated conductors and 4 bare copper. The screens for both are bare copper.

[quote name='Kohpnyn' post='1006517' date='Oct 30 2010, 05:15 PM']Thanks for the recommendations. I'm far too clumsy for making my own cables, so I guess I'll go for some of OBBM's.
Anyone know the difference between the Vandamme and the Klotz cable?[/quote]
I've always made my own using Neutrik jacks & Klotz cable. It's not that difficult & a good way to learn soldering; not that expensive if you knacker a jack in the process, you'd still be ahead if you bought a spare jack to practise on.

Quite a few shops will make it up for you & it would still be cheaper.

I'd never heard of OBBM before this thread, but would suggest it's well worth spending 30 seconds comparing his specs and prices with Award-Session's custom Neutrik/Van Damme cables... which I HAVE bought, and they are totally pro.

[url="http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html"]http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html[/url]

Edited by KK Jale