Jump to content

What makes a bad bass player?


benh

Recommended Posts

I was talking to the owner of my local music shop recently and this subject came up. He told me the worst bassist he ever played with was in a jazz band and he was actually technically very competent but he couldn't just play the bass part roughly as intended,  he had to put in far too many fills and tried turning the guitar solo in to a duet and was just difficult to play with. He said he'd much rather a beginner just playing root notes with solid timing than an over playing virtuoso.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Aren't you supposed to play the wrong notes in jazz? How do you tell its not in time when each member of the band is in a different time signature?

 

nice.jpg

Its easy to dismiss jazz like that but the truth is, the comping IS in time AND is playing the right harmony, in an ideal world. A soloist may very well be taking liberties with the note choice or timing but that's an entirely different thing. If the bass player is doing that (and not soloing), then its bad, trust me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, paul_c2 said:

Its easy to dismiss jazz like that but the truth is, the comping IS in time AND is playing the right harmony, in an ideal world. A soloist may very well be taking liberties with the note choice or timing but that's an entirely different thing. If the bass player is doing that (and not soloing), then its bad, trust me.

I was only joking. Beyond knowing I dislike it and don't have the talent to play it, I know very little about jazz other than it seems to have even more sub genres and sub genres of sub genres than metal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

... when each member of the band is in a different time signature?

That's ^^ not a problem, anyway, as long as they all have the same tempo. That's the glue that would hold it together. Having differing tempi, though... :swoon:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I doomed ?

My bass has 6 strings and no frets, I like to play loads of notes, double stops and chords, I like to solo, I play very often on the dusty end and I am 182 cm tall.

So I'm a bad bass player with the good height. 😎 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

Am I doomed ?

My bass has 6 strings and no frets, I like to play loads of notes, double stops and chords, I like to solo, I play very often on the dusty end and I am 182 cm tall.

So I'm a bad bass player with the good height. 😎 

Bad player and a shortarse!

:D

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

It could have been worst, I could have been a Mancunian liking gravy pea.

:on_the_quiet:

Mancunian liking gravy pea, 6 foot, bad player & proud!

:thank_you:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/06/2021 at 15:39, neilp said:

I'm not a huge fan, but U2 were and are the tightest band I've ever seen. Clayton undoubtedly has the ability to play lots and lots more notes than he does, but makes the CHOICE not to. No way a band can be that tight and powerful with a bad bass player.

Yeah, I often think of AC coming home after a gig…

”Hard day at the office dear?”

’not in the least bit taxing love - really chilled, nice and easy’

”Are we still filthy rich?”

’oh aye, increasingly so my little petal - INCREASINGLY…yurs.’

”Brandy?”

’Why not…hehehehe’.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

He said he'd much rather a beginner just playing root notes with solid timing than an over playing virtuoso.

I’m an over-playing beginner. Worst of both worlds really

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

I’m an over-playing beginner. Worst of both worlds really

I’ve been overplaying for 25 years.

Nobody’s ever stopped me. 
 

Quite enjoyable really. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That's ^^ not a problem, anyway, as long as they all have the same tempo. That's the glue that would hold it together. Having differing tempi, though... :swoon:

See Black Dog.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...