Why become a member? ×

What makes a bad bass player?

benh

I would say a bad bassist is one who's timing it poor and/or who doesn't listen. So that'd probably be me :)

To ellaborate slightly, in some genre's of music playing a root, chugging along is 100% what's required, some types of music playing a lot of notes is what required, imo neither type of bass player are bad, but if their timing's off or they don't listen to the music around them to help them make the right note choices within then they I'd say they're bad.

EDIT: Grammar checker please :lol:

Edited by purpleblob

What makes a bad bass player?

Well.. my mum and dad I suppose.

That and there isn't a hope in hell that I'm going to stand quietly at the back and not get noticed.. why should I?

In reality, I'm a competant rock n roll bass player, In no way a virtuoso, I never will be and actually don't want to be. I can lock into a groove, provide a solid base with our drummer (a lot can be obvious plodding bass work as that's what a song calls for) allowing the guitarist and vocalist to do their thang but if I want to, then I'll flower up a part with some sexy twiddling and most of the time it will work, if not, then I'll not do it again. But for me, a good gig is all about the performance which constitutes capable musicianship AND entertainment. That's what our audience expects and that's what they get.

• Like 1

It's a bit hard to pin down, but along with what other people here have already said about timing, I think that bad bass lines are often those that fail to outline the changes in the tune. You can't rely on gutarists / vocalists or even drummers to always hold the tune together, but as bass players I'd say our number one task is to give the listeners a sense of the structure of the tune. Preferably while injecting some groove :)

[quote name='HMX' post='977551' date='Oct 4 2010, 07:48 PM']In a band situation, a poor bass player is selfish and unsupportive - not providing the foundations the music needs to build from. There's a difference in being tasteful and tasteLESS.[/quote]

You would make a good social worker with words like that... :)

Garry

• 10 years later...

I'd like to respond to this old thread because I've returned to bass playing after a 10-year break and I'm trying to develop my technique.  I'll go the list route as other members have:

1) Inability to keep time

2) Inability or unwillingness to play just what the song requires

3) Underestimation of how difficult it is to be a technically competent and musically responsive player

4) Unwillingness to put in the time to listen widely and practice

I'm not guilty of 1), less guilty of 2) than I was when I first took up the bass in the mid-80s, slightly guilty of 3) and very guilty of 4).  I'm a mediocre player but I can see a way forward - finally.

• Like 1

Thinking they know it all and believes themselves to be a great bass player who can do no wrong,so refuse to accept constructive critiscism or suggestions on what to play.

The rest of it all is dependant on context!

Edited by Sarah5string
grammar

I remember years ago a guy who was a bass player and the younger brother of a workmate of mine came in to see us play. The workmate later told me that he had said they are ok but the bass player is playing easy stuff so that he can play and sing. I was quite miffed as we were playing stuff that went down well and had no other reason for playing these songs . I hadn't even considered whether it was easy or not. We did play some stuff that was harder to play and sing and he obviously didn't see that. Later his band started to get gigs and they started under cutting everyone price wise. This caused some bad feeling with other bands. I have seen me spend ages and ages trying to get bass parts down where I could sing over it. I was quite disappointed in this attitude.

21 minutes ago, ubit said:

I remember years ago a guy who was a bass player and the younger brother of a workmate of mine came in to see us play. The workmate later told me that he had said they are ok but the bass player is playing easy stuff so that he can play and sing. I was quite miffed 

To which the answer would be, "c'mon then fckface, let's hear you sing and play". I don't blame you for being miffed.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rich said:

To which the answer would be, "c'mon then fckface, let's hear you sing and play". I don't blame you for being miffed.

To be fair he was also the bass player and singer in his band and they were pretty good I have to admit. I just hated getting criticised from a young upstart beginner  when I had been on the scene playing for years.

55 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

once saw an obviously competent bass player, he was part of the band on a cruise ship, he played slap all over the verse of Alright Now, I'm still traumatised, so yes, taste is very important and can't be taught or learnt 

I’ll bet that just can’t be unheard, Paul

I hate it when I see a bass player trying to be cleverer than their ability, fancy fills only to come back in out of time & or key. Showboating came up this week as a phrase that I hadn't heard much before. 

I don't mind flash but fine tune it at home, not on stage. Equally I am perfectly happy to watch a player who plays it safe but does it well. If you simplify parts to concentrate on a vocal, I am cool with that. I guess my point in a nutshell is be properly rehearsed for the performance you are able to deliver. Any deviation from this and I am not a fan. The occasionally mistake we're all guilty of but it shouldn't be every show!

• Like 1