Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My Fender P Bass isn't working out for me

Herbie The Rad Dorklift

I bought a Fender P bass not too long back. I play a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 and I love the sound. It's got EMGs in it (They're EMG HZ, in the guitar world the HZ series aren't active?), sounds nice and... bassy! But I'm not the biggest fan of how it looks.

I wanted something more traditional, so I bought a lovely P bass. Just a MIM one, but it has a black scratchplate and a bridge cover which looks sweet :)

Only problem is, it sounds lifeless. Clunky, just not as good as the Schecter. It isn't as "focused" (compressed?)... I dunno. Just dull. I play pop/rock music, so maybe I need something jazzier? The P bass seems to be more suited to rock sounds rather than nice bassy sounds.

It has flatwound strings on it, not old ones, and has some foam in the bridge cover. Should I try changing the strings first? Should I get active pickups? Or just sell it and try a Jazz?

could be that pick ups (MIM you said?) are not exactly good ones. my guess, tho, is on the flatwounds and foam under bridge. BUT: is it "dull" when you practice at home or in the band mix? i can assure you, most P basses sounds "boring" to some people when plays in the room,alone, but they are shine and gets alive in gig situation and ESPECIALLY in the studio. in 99% situation,all you need there is a good P bass - it sits well everywhere.
maybe after all you aren't a flatwounds fan, but there's roundwounds strings as you know.
this all comes from a guy who adores Fender P basses and flats,btw.....(but also has lots of hours in studio and on the road...)
cheers.D

[quote name='Herbie The Rad Dorklift' post='965393' date='Sep 23 2010, 10:59 AM']It has flatwound strings on it, not old ones, and has some foam in the bridge cover. Should I try changing the strings first? Should I get active pickups? Or just sell it and try a Jazz?[/quote]

I know a lot of people love flats on a precision but I can't get on with them. Try some rounds and lose the foam.

Yep get a G&L tribute basically a Jazz and P bass in one but has an active boost to give it some life, best value for money. Same electronics as the american series. Alternatively you have your stingray or going with the round soapbar sound the bartolini's in Cort and Ibanez are fantastic. All my suggestions are active.

You've just experienced what I did owning a P bass, great fun to look at/play but a very woody/woolly tone met with some strings clanking against the fretboard - the most unprecise bass i've played, although maybe it refers to timing. Its a MASSIVE irony, however I was using a Tokai Hardpuncher but I also had the same experience with a Charvel P. If you have a good Precision like the post 2008 Fender American you just need better amplification and crank it many people 50/50 love the tone and get by using them solely. If you like the Steve Harris Iron Maiden tone you could always stick a hotter pickup in the body like a seymour duncan quarter pounder, the newer P basses are largely helped by the nitro finish for more resonance like its been worn in like an old one. Rosewood boards help for thumpy motown flatwound sound, maple + roundwounds growly rock.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='965415' date='Sep 23 2010, 11:21 AM']I know a lot of people love flats on a precision but I can't get on with them. Try some rounds and lose the foam.[/quote]

I would have thought the flatwounds and foam would have helped the tone become more percussive and thumpy, especially with rosewood. That made fretless would be a bass I could get on with :)

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='Herbie The Rad Dorklift' post='965418' date='Sep 23 2010, 11:22 AM']I used it in a band scenario, not very loud though, and I just don't think it sounded as good.

How different are Jazzes and P Basses? I'd love to try all these out but I don't have much chance to :)

The sound I'm after if your typical pop/rnb bassy bass sound... can't explain really :rolleyes:[/quote]

Jazz cuts through better but it could be your amp?? I bought/traded about 20 basses before I upgraded my amp 80% of the setup is that to me.

[quote name='chris_b' post='965449' date='Sep 23 2010, 11:51 AM']Precision basses have their own sound, which you either like or you don't, but no wonder the tone is lifeless and dull! Get rid of the foam and put on a good set of round wounds. It still might not be "your" sound but it will sound a lot better.[/quote]

I will do just that!

Elixirs? I believe that's what's on my Schecter (I "inherited" this bass, that's why I don't know :) )

Also, yes, the amp isn't amazing by any means... it's one of them Line 6 1x15 combos. I'm looking at getting a better 1x12/15 though. £5/600.

Agree with the previous post. I`ve tried flats, and really didn`t like them. Too many strings out there to try them all, but many famous P-Bass users endorse Rotosound Roundwounds, they`re my fave too. Combined with removing the foam, this should make a "zing" more than a "thump". Alternatively, if you want a traditional looking bass, but with more options, a P-Bass with a bridge J-pickup could work, or the Fender P-Bass deluxe, which also has actives.

Flats on a Pbass..i would say thats what you poss dont like..i love that tone, but i prefer a zingier tone....Put some DR high beams on the P bass...if that doesnt work for you get a Jazz

ive played a Pbass with DR's or most roundwounds and it had that zing and it had the punch...

Edited by bubinga5

I'd suggest - FIRST - remove the foam and maybe adjust the pups so they're a little closer to the strings. If it still sounds dull then try changing the strings for rounds.

I use flats on my P and it sounds great, but there's flats and there's flats, and we all have a different 'ideal' sound in our head.

I have an MIM P and although a lot of peeps around reckon the pups are weak, I really like the sound of mine, trad P Bass thump and growl and noise free. I'd try some rounds (RS66), dump the foam mute and play around with your amp eq. Theres not a lot to the controls on a P... I normally have the 'tone' set halfway so I can adjust on the fly.

Jazzes are nice also.

Go for the DR High Beams as Bubinga says. And get rid of the foam!! Once you stick on these, expensive but worth it strings, your sound will be transformed. :)

I can only echo what has been said, P basses genrally sound kack on their own but wind it up in a live scenario and they will cut through the mix, as they say. I have tried almost every knid of bass, active and passive but keep going back to the P. I have Status Half Rounds on mine and like the sound I get.

But, mabye the sound aint for you. If you are happy with the Schecter sound, why not stick with it and keep the P as a back up or move it on?

Jez

1- lose the foam
2- DR high beams, or some other round wound string
3- it's passive unlike the schecter- the main difference will be that you will need to whack the gain up on your amp.
4- don't be afraid to hit the strings hard.
5- you want a more attacking tone, lose the bridge cover and play back there.
6- If you go back to the schecter remeber to turn the gain back!

[quote name='Herbie The Rad Dorklift' post='965393' date='Sep 23 2010, 10:59 AM']I bought a Fender P bass not too long back. I play a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 and I love the sound. It's got EMGs in it (They're EMG HZ, in the guitar world the HZ series aren't active?), sounds nice and... bassy! But I'm not the biggest fan of how it looks.

I wanted something more traditional, so I bought a lovely P bass. Just a MIM one, but it has a black scratchplate and a bridge cover which looks sweet :)

Only problem is, it sounds lifeless. Clunky, just not as good as the Schecter. It isn't as "focused" (compressed?)... I dunno. Just dull. I play pop/rock music, so maybe I need something jazzier? The P bass seems to be more suited to rock sounds rather than nice bassy sounds.

It has flatwound strings on it, not old ones, and has some foam in the bridge cover. Should I try changing the strings first? Should I get active pickups? Or just sell it and try a Jazz?[/quote]

The HZ aren't active in the bass world either. Yes you really should replace the strings and get rid of all the foam in the bridge. It will make a massive difference to the tone. Without strings a bass is just a bit of wood and metal. The strings are what make it a musical instrument. As such they are a big part of the sound!

First try the removing foam bit, definitely try rounds but active emgs bang out a LOT more bass than passives, I have emgs on my punisher and it's just awesome! Could also try Seymour Duncan quarter pounders too if you don't want it eating batteries every couple of months!

Have fun and report back!

[quote name='Herbie The Rad Dorklift' post='965393' date='Sep 23 2010, 10:59 AM']It has flatwound strings on it, not old ones, and has some foam in the bridge cover. Should I try changing the strings first? Should I get active pickups? Or just sell it and try a Jazz?[/quote]

Rip the flats off and go back to rounds. They are truly useless for what you want. You either love flats or hate 'em.

Its how you play them!

I had a wonderful 59 reisue that looked stunning, but for love nor money I couldn't make it sound good. I make my living from playing music (a very small one at that!) but the precision defeated me

I put it up for sale and a young and tallented man came round to buy it, and made it sound great through a 15watt practice amp!!! much better than I could(maximum respect, and lots of envy)

I have never been able to get on with a precision, I appreciate that its the founding bass etc but give me a jazz and all hell breaks loose!!(well kind of)

mabye you can be in my gang of "people who cannot get a decent sound out of precision basses.com"

Regards

Mark

I think that it has all been said, but change the strings for some brighter roundwounds and take the foam out. Maybe take a bit of time out with your amp and work out how to dial in a tone you like. It takes longer for to dial in 'my sound' on a passive than an active. If that doesn't work maybe try a preamp, like the VT bass, or the Aguilar Tone Hammer. If you still don't like the tone then you can pretty much say that you don't like Fender Precisions. Nothing wrong with that though, just keep looking for a bass that excites you.

I hope this doesn't turn into a P-bass bashing thread, as I've already had Sadowskys of basses criticised in the thread below. All I need now is someone to start a 'Vigiers are overrated' thread and I will officially not own any good basses! :)