Why become a member? ×

Quick and easy!

Marvin

I placed an ad on one of those sites, you know lonely hearts for musicians and got a reply from a guitarist who sounds rather good if I'm honest. There's a drummer and potentially a warbler.

Well it's just dawned on me that in the past year that I've been noodling around on the bass I haven't actually learnt a cover in full. Well by that I mean I'll have sort of learnt one on a night and then completely forgotten a) how to play it and/or b ) what the damned song was in the first place.

So your mission, if you wish to accept it, is to come up with a few covers (4 or 5 at the max) that are very quick and easy to learn but sound alright. By easy I mean nothing with loads of fills and variations in it, repetitive is the key word here as I've got a lousy memory :)

Oh, some are on the scratched off list already - Sex on Fire, All Right Now, Sweet Home what's it, Mustang doo dah, you know the score.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='963049' date='Sep 21 2010, 10:10 AM']So your mission, if you wish to accept it, is to come up with a few covers (4 or 5 at the max) that are very quick and easy to learn but sound alright. By easy I mean nothing with loads of fills and variations in it, repetitive is the key word here as I've got a lousy memory :)[/quote]

Good grief you want an easy life.. :rolleyes:
What about just starting a Bill Haley tribute act?
You would only need to learn one song then.

[quote name='Marvin' post='963049' date='Sep 21 2010, 10:10 AM']I placed an ad on one of those sites, you know lonely hearts for musicians and got a reply from a guitarist who sounds rather good if I'm honest. There's a drummer and potentially a warbler.

Well it's just dawned on me that in the past year that I've been noodling around on the bass I haven't actually learnt a cover in full. Well by that I mean I'll have sort of learnt one on a night and then completely forgotten a) how to play it and/or b ) what the damned song was in the first place.

So your mission, if you wish to accept it, is to come up with a few covers (4 or 5 at the max) that are very quick and easy to learn but sound alright. By easy I mean nothing with loads of fills and variations in it, repetitive is the key word here as I've got a lousy memory :)

Oh, some are on the scratched off list already - Sex on Fire, All Right Now, Sweet Home what's it, Mustang doo dah, you know the score.[/quote]
You want very quick; you want easy to learn; sound alright. You don't want loads of fills and variations. You want repetitive...
Ok, these may be way off the mark, or you may have covered/dismissed them already, but how about...

* U2 - "Still Haven't Found..."
* U2 - "With Or Without You"
* U2 - probably most of their other stuff too! :lol:
* Pink Floyd - "Another Brick In The Wall"

...to name three.

Yes I know -- but you did ask! :o :rolleyes:

[quote name='Stingray5' post='963147' date='Sep 21 2010, 11:34 AM']You want very quick; you want easy to learn; sound alright. You don't want loads of fills and variations. You want repetitive...
Ok, these may be way off the mark, or you may have covered/dismissed them already, but how about...

* U2 - "Still Haven't Found..."
* U2 - "With Or Without You"
* U2 - probably most of their other stuff too! :o
* Pink Floyd - "Another Brick In The Wall"

...to name three.

Yes I know -- but you did ask! :o :lol:[/quote]
:rolleyes:
It would keep the drummer happy. :)

Edited by Marvin

Sweet Home Chicago - really easy to remember and you can add loads of chromatic runs which sound like you know what your doing !
Anything by Creedance Clearwater Revival but particularly Bad moon Rising and Fortunate Son
Paranoid Black sabbath - surely everyone knows the riff

Personally I'd avoid any ACDC - its easy on paper but it reallty ................

The easiest song I ever learned was Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater. Three notes only. Play strictly on the one and three. If there's an easier one, I'd be surprised.

EDIT: Aha - I see Thunderbird just beat me to it :-)

Edited by stevie

CCR are good for the money.
I've always liked Down on the Corner as well. Which oddly enough I think I suggested to a potential band last year and it went down well with them.

Like Thunderbird13, I've always thought AC/DC (despite liking them) aren't really suited to the pubs around my way.

[quote name='Marvin' post='963176' date='Sep 21 2010, 12:06 PM']CCR are good for the money.
I've always liked Down on the Corner as well. Which oddly enough I think I suggested to a potential band last year and it went down well with them.

Like Thunderbird13, I've always thought AC/DC (despite liking them) aren't really suited to the pubs around my way.[/quote]

I live round your way, trust me, they are.