Why become a member? ×

So who talks to you when you get off stage?

Cat Burrito

[quote name='Beedster' post='944873' date='Sep 3 2010, 07:34 PM']It's like this

Singer: hot chicks "can I have your number/a shag"
Guitarist: musicians "love your slide playing mate"
Drummer: slightly less hot chicks "the singer's not interested but you can shag me if you want"
Bass: soundguy "love that rig, my mate Dave plays Mesa Boogie"

Never varies :)

C[/quote]

A word of advice: only join bands where all the other members are uglier than you... Or foreign :rolleyes:

"You should do a few covers" Get this helpfull advice a lot.

Drunken/medicated and incoherent South Africans are quite high on the list at the moment.

"You should do a few covers"

"I used to play bass in a band.........."

The best was from a Polish guy who comes to a fair few of our gigs. Just after I got my new rig and the drummer had played a bit more forcibly than usual. "Your bass was sounding huge this time. Your drums were awesome too. You. (to the guitarist) You sound the same"

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='946981' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:36 AM']"You should do a few covers" Get this helpfull advice a lot.

Drunken/medicated and incoherent South Africans are quite high on the list at the moment.

"I used to play bass in a band.........."

The best was from a Polish guy who comes to a fair few of our gigs. Just after I got my new rig and the drummer had played a bit more forcibly than usual. "Your bass was sounding huge this time. Your drums were awesome too. You. (to the guitarist) You sound the same"[/quote]
Was that the same Polish guy on Saturday who was calling out for cover versions of songs by The Cult? :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='946989' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:46 AM']Was that the same Polish guy on Saturday who was calling out for cover versions of songs by The Cult? :)[/quote]

No. He fell into the inebriated South African camp. "Play something that ****s up my head" was a good one too. I fear we were too late.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='946996' date='Sep 6 2010, 10:53 AM']No. He fell into the inebriated South African camp. "Play something that ****s up my head" was a good one too. I fear we were too late.[/quote]
I was worried he would follow your guitarist home

"Thish ish my mate Tommushhh, he playsh gitar too, heeesh brill, can he 'ave a go on yoursh pleeesh, heesh fab, no really he ishhh..."

"Sorry, I dont know him, I dont know you, you are having a very good time, and I can t risk my kit"

"But why not, he'sh rea'y rea'y good [hic]"

"Well he can't actually stand unsupported, and he cant give me a down payment of £5000 to cover the likely damage"

"You no fun, and your bandsh-crap!"

"Thank you very much, have a nice night, bye then...."

We were setting up before a BOTB thing we entered (needed to try and win money for a van) and all the other bands were saying hi and being friendly except this one other band. They were sat there with their 'manager' being cool - there are 4 ladies in 'my' band and 2 guys and I think they expected they would have to show the girls how to switch on an amp, where the cable plugs in etc - and they made no effort to chat. Once we started to play the went very sombre looking. I made a point of chatting to them and being friendly but left before their sound check.....

Come gig time they were ok but their mandatory cover song was Dakota by Stereophonic and I sh*t you not it sounded like each member of the band was playing in a different key! I went over after and suggested it was an interesting version of the song :) The results came in and guess who didn't win and walked out without saying a word.

As for post gig we always gig away cd's after a show so we get people coming to say hi but with 4 ladies in the band I don't get much traffic regardless of how good my tone is :rolleyes:

Groupies for me! Hurrah! However this is because I always make sure I join bands full of ugly bastards! :rolleyes:

Saying this the best one i had was when i was 18. I was playing bass in a big production of Jesus Christ Superstar. At the time i had very long hair and a bit of beard. The guy playing jesus had short ginger hair so was wearing a wig and wig beard. After all the shows in the bar area after i got all the attention. Loads of people came over saying what a great singer and performer i was....i took all the plaudits and said thanks. It use to really piss the Jesus actor off. Ha ha. One back for the bass players. :lol: :)

one guy tonight asking about the G&L I was playing - and I was the one rattling on, for some inane reason, adrenaline still flowing after a full on gig, I started boring him with the incarnation of G&L and how Leo created his 'best guitars ever' until I noticed the guy was glazing over!! :)

and had to berate two friends, girls, who DIDN'T come up to the stage and go 'wow' and flutter their eyes even tho they said they wanted to!!

[quote name='cetera' post='954612' date='Sep 13 2010, 12:33 PM']Lots of "How do you do that with your tongue?", 'Is that codpiece [i]all you[/i]?", "Can I see your tongue again?..... Oooooooh!!!!!" etc etc :o :lol: :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

I used to get a lot of that. In the end, it got so bad I was asked to leave the Salvation Army band.

Edited by Earbrass

My other half always gives me a wry nod or wink, and sometimes if my dad comes along i get the 'well done' stuff.

I sometimes get the gear geeks, and i don't mind, as i've been guilty of it myself.

Get a lot of 'x tune is better than last time now you've had more time with it' etc.

Had a few really nice compliments off some pretty well known players, Pete from Elbow wants my Rickenbacker...our guitarist knows them, so when they're free they come to see us.

Wondering when our next gig will be, as we haven't played in ages, i'm sure people will be blown away now we have a String section playing with us.

May encounter a bit of geekdom now that i'm taking the Fretless as i've recorded 3 tracks on the new CD with it.

Edited by AndyTravis

Generally, some weirdo ive never seen before asking about my gear. The fact that most of what i say probably goes straight through the persons ears because they are too drunk or generally have no idea about music is a different matter. Also i seem to get a lot of other bands being very observant and saying "nice set guys, you sounded good" which is kinda pissing annoying as a lot of the time they haven't even watched us. Anyway not the top, groupoes and rock n roll thing.

A bit of everything I suppose - like the occassional ones where comments are made about " your cool bass" - also like it that big whoopsies are'nt mentioned!

I do tend to be the one that nutters seem to be attracted to -normally good humoured thankfully. Last year found that a chap I was diagreeing with because we didn't play any Queen had just been in a bit of bother for threatening someone with a gun!

[quote]"Mate,you're band's dead good....You should go on X Factor"[/quote]

THAT one pisses me off something rotten.

[quote post='944873' date='Sep 3 2010, 07:34 PM']It's like this

Singer: hot chicks "can I have your number/a shag"
Guitarist: musicians "love your slide playing mate"
Drummer: slightly less hot chicks "the singer's not interested but you can shag me if you want"
Bass: soundguy "love that rig, my mate Dave plays Mesa Boogie"[/quote]

And THAT is why I'm drumming with the band I'm in at the minute :)

mostly slightly drunk people, sometimes the wife if she has bothered to come along, often the sax player who still can't believe he is in a freakband.....

Best one I had was mid gig at one of the first shows we had done, largish pub venue.
I was using someone else's 300+watt set up and was getting on with it when some one shouts "can't hear the bass, turn it up a bit" so I did, apparently some people started to feel unwell and had to leave the bar, it was like some sort of microwave effect..
On reflection it did sound a bit harsh on stage but as I am usually quite close to it [ so I can keep an eye on the drummer :rolleyes: ] can't fully appreciate the actual sound when it focuses somewhere in front of the stage,,,,,,

I did end up living with a groupie I brought back from a festival in the 1980's but I was a guitarist then so it doesn't count :)