Why become a member? ×

So who talks to you when you get off stage?

Cat Burrito

We get the 'nice playing, great gig' type thing, plus what are those basses..which is nice, but mostly other musos as I guess we are a bit of a muso band.

I try and talk to as many people as poss and if I have invited people along, then I try and get round to talking to them as much as I can.
If we are on a bill with other bands, then we will tend to talk to them...and that is ok as well.

I find bass players do better with female singers in the band... :) rather than women in the audience.

It is always better to invite mates and partners and then their women friends will talk to you as you have the introduction, IME

Mostly it's the other bands. I'm a bass player - nobody else knows I exist.

[quote name='goblin' post='945066' date='Sep 3 2010, 11:32 PM']The next one I get quite a lot is my mate saying "been speaking to the other band's bassist, said you're pretty awesome" I just wish it didn't have to come through a mate! I like anyone who rates me playing :)[/quote]

Our trumpet player told me she liked the bass part on a new song we were working on tonight. This is after a slew of fanzine reviews of our last EP have turned up this month and nobody has mentioned the bass on any of the tracks despite it being right at the front of the mix on everything.

Bleh. I know my parts are rocking, I don't need clueless fanzine-producing punk fans to tell me that. :rolleyes:

Usually too busy with the other band members packing down the kit. In current band, everyone chips in until everything is loaded up to go home.

We did have a guitarist recently that would only pack his own stuff away and then stand around watching everyone else being busy. He got sent to the Gulag

T

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='944899' date='Sep 3 2010, 07:59 PM']I'm a proper bass player, I'm too busy packing the gear away coz the rest of the lazy bastard band are nattering to; groupies, kit junkies, the promoter, my Mum (hang on that's not right :rolleyes: ), the support band's parents, other 'so called' musicians, other bands with the generic "you're tight" observations, drunken idiots giving them career advice or any person not mentioned previously in order that they can avoid packing the gear away... do I speaketh the truth? :)[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, Jon. Someone's gotta run the ship while the sailors have a run ashore. Cable coiling has to be done properly and as I've usually got the longest drive home I just want to get out of there. Proper bass player behaviour!

I`m usually too busy breaking down the gear and if anyone wants to talk to me, I guide them to the "I love me" singer who buggers off and starts networking as he calls it. In other words, not helping with getting the gear put away.

A couple of weeks ago, a girl, ugly and pissed (my favourite kind), tried to speak to me about something. The trouble was I was playing and doing backing vocals at the time. The bouncers came and dragged her away but not before she had managed to kick over a pint of orange.

Jez

[quote name='Clarky' post='945274' date='Sep 4 2010, 11:02 AM']Usually mrs Clarky saying "you were really good tonight. Maybe next time there will be a few more in the audience"

I'm not joking[/quote]

Same for me except substituting Mrs Clauster for Mrs Clarky

Although last night she was telling me how good our new drummer is,

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='945473' date='Sep 4 2010, 04:10 PM']I just finished playing a f***ing dad rock fest, a guy walked up to me at the end and said "you boys like Punk, yeah? You should play some Green Day" I don't know how he is still breathing.[/quote]
Oh I get it, more of a Good Charlotte fan, eh?

ducks & runs for cover :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='944891' date='Sep 3 2010, 07:51 PM']After the gig I've actually had someone ask me what I thought of the band.[/quote]

:) Thats crackin!
Its usually the same auld shower of sh*tehawks who spout on about how great we sounded and then proceed to talk amongst themselves about how crap we are :rolleyes:

[quote name='JTUK' post='945953' date='Sep 5 2010, 10:02 AM']Just lately, other musos and bass players. My basses aren't that usual and some say nice things about my sound, which I appreciate.
I mean, I think I know when I have a good sound but its is nice that some musos acknowledge it[/quote]
Its nice whenyou know you didn't do so hot aswell.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='945954' date='Sep 5 2010, 10:05 AM']Its nice whenyou know you didn't do so hot aswell.[/quote]

I accept punters compliments for what they are to me... a casual opinion of that person. If they have enjoyed it, then that is good. It will not convince I was great when I know I was pretty sh***y that night, tho, altho it will help me get over it quicker,,ha ha ..!! as in oh well, no one seemed to notice :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='944899' date='Sep 3 2010, 07:59 PM']I'm a proper bass player, I'm too busy packing the gear away coz the rest of the lazy bastard band are nattering to; groupies, kit junkies, the promoter, my Mum (hang on that's not right :rolleyes: ), the support band's parents, other 'so called' musicians, other bands with the generic "you're tight" observations, drunken idiots giving them career advice or any person not mentioned previously in order that they can avoid packing the gear away... do I speaketh the truth? :)[/quote]

I once helped Alan Gregg of The Muttonbirds carry his gear to the van.

[quote name='JTUK' post='945968' date='Sep 5 2010, 10:19 AM']I accept punters compliments for what they are to me... a casual opinion of that person.[/quote]

Absolutely right! There are some folks in bands that after hearing a few casual comments from drunken punters giving "advice" after a show want to rehash the set list, image, venue choice and get all doom and gloom about needing to change everything or we'll never get another gig, "that bloke knows what he's talking about; he's the ents sec down the Ex-Servicemens Club."

We once came off stage at a battle of the bands type thing and one of the other bands, a fairly young bunch, were telling us how great we were and that they'd listened to our stuff before the show via the event website and really liked itl yadda yadda yadda.

What they didn't know was that my missus had been stood near them during the gig, and had noted a few choice snide remarks and the fact that none of them had voted for us (or as we later noticed, anyone else for that matter), whilst all the other bands (ourselves included) seemed to be voting quite fairly.

They were on a band or two after us and clearly loved themselves, but they were pretty mediocre truth be told. After they finished they came back clearly expecting some praise off us and we just totally blanked them, although quite annoyingly our guitarist was a bit p*ssed by this point and had voted for them, git.

Edited by Maverick