Why become a member? ×

You can't beat an all valve head... I'm afraid!

dave74200

[quote name='Beedster' post='944742' date='Sep 3 2010, 05:17 PM']Sorry guys, but this thread has lost something since Dave stopped posting ):[/quote]
Well get logged back in as him & we'll get this to page 30!

TBH I like the sound of Ampeg valve gear, it just doesn't have the sort of sound that I want for my bass & wouldn't suit my band's sound. Same reason I don't have a Fender, it just doesn't have the sound that I want (tho I'm still tempted to get a Jazz).

[quote name='dave74200' post='944195' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:42 AM']Watched Blur 'the singles' gig on Sky Arts last night. What was Alex James using? A Stingray into an SVT 2 Pro with 8x10 'fridge'. But hey, what does he know! He sounded awesome by the way, but the amp was probably off or just a cardboard cut out of it just for show. Like many have told me, he was probably just going straight into the mixing desk through a £100 di pedal.[/quote]

Well, he HAS called him self a bass playing cheese idiot :)

20 pages still going.. only reason i haven't gone to bed yet =S

The OP is right, an Ampeg is THE only choice for whatever music you play and whatever sound you are after. Look for forthcoming articles on what bass to play, what colour it should be, permitted length of strap and pose to adopt on stage.

[quote name='51m0n' post='944349' date='Sep 3 2010, 11:07 AM']About the longest standing Ampeg endorser I can think of is Mr Billy Sheehan (he of the amazing chainsaw through mud tone)[/quote]

After these many years Mr Sheehan has recently left Ampeg. He sold all his Ampeg on e-bay and will soon be announced as Hartkes latest artist.

I'm new to this site and must say I'm a bit shocked with how militant some people are in their views of what equipment rules and what is rubbish. I love the Amp/cab I own but would happily own 100's of others. There is FAR too much awesome equipment out there to religiously stick to one brand or amp type but, thats just me and I'm one of those guys who will probably never stop searching for my next favourite tone. :)

Having tried them all I can safely say what I like to hear is the sound of my bass, not my amplifier colouring the sound. I prefer my relatively cheap 800w 1u poweramp to the other all tube heads I have had. Works a treat and doesn't even get warm. Every time I have used a big Ampeg rig I end up sounding like someone else.

[quote name='The Sentry' post='945344' date='Sep 4 2010, 12:37 PM']After these many years Mr Sheehan has recently left Ampeg. He sold all his Ampeg on e-bay and will soon be announced as Hartkes latest artist.

I'm new to this site and must say I'm a bit shocked with how militant some people are in their views of what equipment rules and what is rubbish. I love the Amp/cab I own but would happily own 100's of others. There is FAR too much awesome equipment out there to religiously stick to one brand or amp type but, thats just me and I'm one of those guys who will probably never stop searching for my next favourite tone. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yep!

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675170"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675170[/url]

Pretty much tells everything to do with it!

Am i right in saying It was Billy who pretty much shaped/designed the SVT Pro 4? My favourite Ampeg is the SVP BSP just for the distortion

Both of those are hyrbrids right? :)

Mr Billy Sheehan is no longer an Ampeg man, now a hartke man. Its a really shame and loss for ampeg!