Why become a member? ×

Who is a truly awful bassist?

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Lord Sausage' post='924651' date='Aug 14 2010, 08:57 AM']i agree with that (about Clayton). Tho Clayton ain't the best i think some of his basslines are pretty cool. 'New Years day', Mysterious ways, Bullet the blue sky. also with The Edge tossing it off with all is 'clever guitar bits. He had to keep the bass simple. Like Mike Anthony in Van Halen, he didn't have much choice but to pedal[/quote]

Might have been mentioned before BUT,

WE ALL, without exception have been sh*t when we were learning, it is unfortunately now (or fortunate, depends how you see it), the nature of the music industry that some people have to go through that stage in full public view (Guigsy, Vicious etc) . Combined with short career spans (some not all) they never get the chance to develop into competent musicians.

And talent? I think very few have a given ability to play impressively without practice. For the rest of us its pure and simple muscle memory.

[u]The more you put in[/u] =the "better" you get.
your satisfaction and enjoyment

Dave

Edited by cd_david

[quote name='steve-soar' post='924488' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:56 PM']Yet another lame thread, destined to hobble into the pond of much draught.

Let's love our craft and not pound it into the dirt.[/quote]

A good point, although after 8 or 9 pages we haven't really come up with any definitive answers..... every "awful" bassist named so far has plenty of people to defend their playing.

I reckon it's actually turned out to be quite a positive thread proving that everyone has different tastes.

It's hard to find a definitive answer when "truly awful" is quite so open to interpretation. Realistically there aren't too many technically incompetent professional bassists - by which I mean players who are unable to play well enough to execute a bassline appropriate to their specific musical context, so as usual we are left with the vagaries of personal taste.

And I'd happily say that even my biggest influences have been responsible for some truly horrible crap in their time.

J.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='924676' date='Aug 14 2010, 09:46 AM']A good point, although after 8 or 9 pages we haven't really come up with any definitive answers..... every "awful" bassist named so far has plenty of people to defend their playing.

I reckon it's actually turned out to be quite a positive thread proving that everyone has different tastes.[/quote]

it depends how you see the question "awfull bass player" Do you mean a bad player ie, cant play. Or do you mean they might be technically ok but i for some reason cant stand to hear them play.?

'Awful' is a very non-specific appreciation. Too busy? Too ploddy? One man's meat is another man's ceiling, as we have so often concluded.

For myself, I'd consider a bass player 'awful' if they suddenly broke into a contrived, shuffling dance-step, concluded with a little wave to the audience.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='924676' date='Aug 14 2010, 09:46 AM']A good point, although after 8 or 9 pages we haven't really come up with any definitive answers..... every "awful" bassist named so far has plenty of people to defend their playing.

I reckon it's actually turned out to be quite a positive thread proving that everyone has different tastes.[/quote]

As the OP, can I say that I'm very pleased in how this thread has developed. There have been a lot of examples of playing and players that people don't like, and I feel I've learnt from listening to them. Perhaps I could have used a less contentious title such as "Can you give me examples of professional playing that you don't like". But, perhaps then there wouldn't have been so many replies. And I've quite enjoyed seeing the IMHO reasonable debate pro and con various players.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='924948' date='Aug 14 2010, 03:34 PM']For myself, I'd consider a bass player 'awful' if they suddenly broke into a contrived, shuffling dance-step, concluded with a little wave to the audience.[/quote]
You bastard. I'd been practising that for ages.

Anyone who thinks I'm Myung bashing - let me put your straight... I am not. I just don't think he's an 'all that' player. Like I said, overrated is the word not awful, so listing him as such was perhaps misguided in the general context of thread. I'm sure many people draw inspiration from what he does, but I personally don't. My observation of him as a player is not out of disliking DT either. I can appreciate any technician or musician who has a mastery of their craft, but being a master of an instrument doesn't necessarily make you a musician, or musical as a result of that mastery. That's why I also cited players such as Steve Bailey and Adam Nitti as other bassists I don't like - technically brilliant yes, musical with it - no/debatable! That is however, just my opinion, if you guys love it, then fair play to you, it would be very boring indeed if we all listed to the same stuff and liked it.

[quote name='benzies123' post='924479' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:47 PM']Lightheartedly:

I find that Myung bashing a bit much, criticising the technique of such a brilliant technician would be fair enough if his playing reflected the apparent lack of technique. But it doesn't, if it was truly bad then his sound would suffer. It doesn't.

The stuff he plays is so damn difficult, just try learning a song like Dance Of Eternity and you will see what I mean, his timing and attack is always completely impeccable, although I agree he is a little soulless.

Also, DT -as someone previously mentioned- are a band that do not immediately appeal to most people. I was a huge fan for a couple of years, but when I first heard them I thought their songs were appalling. So I sympathise with that a bad first impression, but still, you can't disregard the musicianship of the whole band, and obviously the man in question.[/quote]

That's it though, I don't disregard the whole technical mastery of the band, for from it. I appreciate skill as much as anyone, but as I've already said, being a master of an instrument doesn't necessarily make you musical with it! To me at least, DT just left me cold - there were some moments of brilliance, but on the whole the band just seemed like a collection of egos - it simply didn't work for me, and Myung was nothing amazing at all. I'd heard some many good things about him too - but hey, maybe it was a bad night for them, I'm always open to having my mind changed and who knows, maybe I'l like them in few years, I'm fickle like that :)

This is a perfect example of why I feel Myung is an overrated bassist - in my opinion there is no musicality in this piece whatsoever... it's just a collection of really fast arpeggios and scale exercises played not very well at all to quite a nice ballad background piece! What's so special about that? Any bassist with half a mind to practice can do this given time and patience. I can't help but feel John really wanted to be a guitarist but got landed the role of bassist instead because no else would do it... this is just spanking the plank! :)

PS... I know it's a jam session, but still!

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='925181' date='Aug 14 2010, 08:52 PM']This is a perfect example of why I feel Myung is an overrated bassist - in my opinion there is no musicality in this piece whatsoever... it's just a collection of really fast arpeggios and scale exercises played not very well at all to quite a nice ballad background piece! What's so special about that? Any bassist with half a mind to practice can do this given time and patience. I can't help but feel John really wanted to be a guitarist but got landed the role of bassist instead because no else would do it... this is just spanking the plank! :)

PS... I know it's a jam session, but still![/quote]

Based on that video I'm finding myself agreeing with you. That really is the worst sort of bass noncing (to use the technical term).

Each to their own e.t.c

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='925181' date='Aug 14 2010, 08:52 PM']This is a perfect example of why I feel Myung is an overrated bassist - in my opinion there is no musicality in this piece whatsoever... it's just a collection of really fast arpeggios and scale exercises played not very well at all to quite a nice ballad background piece! What's so special about that? Any bassist with half a mind to practice can do this given time and patience. I can't help but feel John really wanted to be a guitarist but got landed the role of bassist instead because no else would do it... this is just spanking the plank! :)

PS... I know it's a jam session, but still![/quote]

IIRC, that video is around 15 years old, so probably not truly representative.

[quote name='yanto' post='924194' date='Aug 13 2010, 05:50 PM']There are some shockers out there but ones that spring to mind are the bloke out of the Stranglers,[/quote]

Can't say I've ever been shocked by Jaen-Jacques Burnel's playing, always loved his playing and tone on the Stranglers songs

I've scanned through the whole thread and can't believe (unless I've missed it) that no-one has mentioned the most abominable mis-use of a bass guitar in its long, distinguished history. I speak of the ding-a-ding-a-chucka-chuka-meep-meep bollix that was the 80's and fecking Level 42 in particular.

What the bejesus was that all about? Summed up that decade perfectly, all style and panache over any kind of musical relevance. Awful, just awful, and what is worse it gave birth to a whole generation of so-called 'bassists' who to this day go ding-a-ding-a-chucka-chuka-meep-meep in music shops up and down the country (the urge to strangle the spotty nerds trying out a bass who break into some ding-a-ding-a-chucka-chuka-meep-meep is overwhelming). If you want some wacky, off-the-wall noises then get a bloody synth player.

Rant over.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='924549' date='Aug 14 2010, 12:10 AM']a guitarist mate forced a copy of Images & Words on me because "if you like Rush - you'll [i]love [/i]these guys!". Wrong. :)[/quote]

Oh so wrong! RUSH to me are the definition of a rock band with soul, skill and class. They're incredible. DT leave me cold. I used to listen to a lot of DT but then I realised it just didn't click with me. They occasionally get it right (the crushing riff at the start of A Change Of Seasons) but usually get it terribly wrong. They are incredible players, particularly Petrucci. However, they so often sound dire. Myung has IMO some of the worst tone of any bassist recording today. It should be amazing, it is infact wooly, dead and dull. He can play some ridiculously accurate lines and has incredible stamina, but musically he is just characterless.

It feels to me like his playing could be a synth! I think back to some of the inspiring stuff which is DT related ("Universal Mind" by Petrucci for one), but then I think of the hours and hours of toss they've recorded. Maybe one day I'll give it another go!

However, Ruddess and LaBrie could ruin any record they go near.

I also have never have liked the guy from Kings of Leon or Kim Deal(as a bassist), personally and can't listen to either of them. I'm very much in the minority here I would guess though.

A part of me wants to say Newsted for not saying "Hey, turn up me up in the mix!" during the recording/mixing stage of "...And Justice for all". But, that isn't really a talent question and he had just joined a band in a difficult time. He is a good player.

I'm sure that there were a lot of really bad bassists that made albums during the nu-metal/nu-grunge era but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

During the nu metal age the standard of the average bassist in the genre was so shockingly poor it would be hard to name one in favour of the other! There were a few with great tone and great groove skills though (Tobin's playing on Pap Roach's "Infest" record, for starters) but usually they were pap root noters.

[quote name='Doddy' post='924131' date='Aug 13 2010, 04:53 PM']All I'll say about Steve Bailey,is that you don't get to tour and record with artists as diverse as Dizzy Gillespie and Jethro Tull if you are all flash and pyrotechnics.[/quote]

[attachment=56622:dizzy.jpg]

[attachment=56623:jethro.jpg]