Why become a member? ×

Who is a truly awful bassist?

Annoying Twit

Ah.... now then....

When I mentioned Tal Wilkenfeld, I did state her recorded audio stuff (aural, non visual) was fine, but when watching the VIDEOS (visual) I didn't hear the bass. As in I'm too distracted to hear it? I didn't mean she was really awful. She's better than I will ever be so I'll shut up. I'm sure most of you got this rather weak joke. :)

Roger Waters - I can partially see that, but Nick Mason is worse as a drummer.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='923922' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:30 PM']Another vote for Tal Wilkenfield. Not the most dire of the lot (perhaps), but so ridiculously overrated you'd think the greats like Jaco, Wooten, Hamm [i]et al[/i] had never been around! I contend that if she was a bloke, she'd have been written off as a lacklustre wannabe! Nothing personal against her, she's just uninspired and uninspiring![/quote]

If she's a lacklustre wannabe, we're all w***.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='923884' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:54 PM']I'd put pete wentz on the top of the list. But I'm fairly certain if he actually stood and concerntrated on playing the lines then he can't be that bad, it's just the Fangirls would rather watch him spin around like a knob than hear him play. That's why he sounds crap.

Next would have been Mark hoppus: although blink-182 was my first ever "rock" band, I have been witness to his talentless-ness. Although 80% he plays rather well concidering he sings and largly plays without looking at his bass. And to this date carousel is still my favourite bass-line to play, and the song alone has shaped the way I play bass and structure my own basslines. He also writes majority of the material including guitar and bass, so I can forgive him for having an off-day here and there and sometimes a bad sound.

I love Tim commerford, but these days he tone is ruining his talent, I preferred him better live when his signal was only dirty due to his ampeg and even then it was nice and cleanish with his Stingray. Rage just doesn't suit a passive jazz.[/quote]

The Jazz rules.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='923922' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:30 PM']Another vote for Tal Wilkenfield. Not the most dire of the lot (perhaps), but so ridiculously overrated you'd think the greats like Jaco, Wooten, Hamm [i]et al[/i] had never been around! I contend that if she was a bloke, she'd have been written off as a lacklustre wannabe! Nothing personal against her, she's just uninspired and uninspiring![/quote]

I could honestly say the same about Stu Hamm :)

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='924095' date='Aug 13 2010, 04:24 PM']Steve Bailey gets my vote any day of the week - completely OTT player with little in the way of soul. It's all technique and flash in the pan pyrotechnics that are totally dull and uninspiring! All those false harmonics, many of which are never in tune... boring.

Adam Nitti also falls into this category! Another example of a player who's playing is all technique at the expensive of anything else. I saw him live at Bassday, and while he was interesting to watch, it left me very cold and unmoved.

My all time most awful bassist ever though is John Myung! How is it possible that someone so completely unoriginal and lacking in technique gets so much devotion and attention as being a 'special bassist!' Saw him live with Dream Theatre, and that has to be the worst gig I have ever seen - period. Talk about a band comprised of egos instead of musicians! sh*t![/quote]

I couldn't disagree more, but fair enough, each to his own.

[quote name='Rayman' post='924315' date='Aug 13 2010, 08:02 PM']I couldn't disagree more, but fair enough, each to his own.[/quote]

:rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I like players who are technically proficient, to see an artist at the height of their musical prowess and mastery of an instrument, but some players just don't do it for me, and the 3 listed rank at the top of my list. One man's meat and all that! It would be boring if we all liked the same thing :)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='924320' date='Aug 13 2010, 08:11 PM']:rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I like players who are technically proficient, to see an artist at the height of their musical prowess and mastery of an instrument, but some players just don't do it for me, and the 3 listed rank at the top of my list. One man's meat and all that! It would be boring if we all liked the same thing :)[/quote]

Absolutely right. Variety is the spice of life.

I have to say, out of ALL the bass players mentioned here, I think every single one is important to someone, Tal, Hooky, even the bloke from Fall Out Boy, someone somewhere likes what they do, and to me, that means they're important and valued as musicians, even if they're not to evryone's taste.

The only one I still think is/was a waste of oxygen was Sid. I hated him when he was alive and I still do, purely because he was a totally useless musician.

Just my opinion of course, I'm sure someone loves him.

I really dont think you could say that John Myung is a bad bassplayer. He plays all his own stuff on the DT albums and he pulls it off live better than alot of people that play 3 hour gigs. I'll agree if you say he doesn't really 'think outside the box' when it comes to inventive bass lines, but honestly, any more and he'd end up being one of those over-the-top try-hards that ruin a lot of potentially good songwriting.

Insert Flea.

That guy needs to chill out and calm down. His bass is just so overpowering (in a bad way) and it feels to me like he's thinking "hmmm....this song is bit boring, so i'm gonna jazz it up a bit but throwing in some chords and high popping". I really can't stand RHCP.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='924352' date='Aug 13 2010, 08:36 PM']I really dont think you could say that John Myung is a bad bassplayer. He plays all his own stuff on the DT albums and he pulls it off live better than alot of people that play 3 hour gigs. I'll agree if you say he doesn't really 'think outside the box' when it comes to inventive bass lines, but honestly, any more and he'd end up being one of those over-the-top try-hards that ruin a lot of potentially good songwriting.

Insert Flea.

That guy needs to chill out and calm down. His bass is just so overpowering (in a bad way) and it feels to me like he's thinking "hmmm....this song is bit boring, so i'm gonna jazz it up a bit but throwing in some chords and high popping". I really can't stand RHCP.

Truckstop[/quote]

He's calmed down over the years. He would be the first to say he overplayed on the earlier albums. Give the guy a break. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='924358' date='Aug 13 2010, 08:40 PM']He's calmed down over the years. He would be the first to say he overplayed on the earlier albums. Give the guy a break. :)[/quote]

I agree. Flea is one of the most unique bassists I can think of, purely based on people's opinions of him.
Beginners totally over-rate him and think his slap playing/technique is amazing.
Then there are the more advanced bass players who (due to a short-sighted elitist attitude) under-estimate the quality of his more subtle, sensitive bass lines like 'Scar Tissue' or 'Under The Bridge'.

I would regard him as more of a "hit-and-miss" bassist than an outright poor one. And in his defence, he learnt to play bass from a guitarist. He was doomed from the start and bound to crave the limelight sooner or later :rolleyes:

Probably the worst bass player I've seen...Jonny Rodd(W A S P) Lots of posing,
but no actual playing. While we're on the higher profile/excellent players,
I am abit confused.com about the sound of Billy Sheehan and the Dream Theatre Myung:

Love Billy /Met Billy / Saw Mr. Big back in the day. We get to the Bass solo ...inaudible crap!!
Dream Theatre: Don't really do much for me on cd. Live: Dream Theare ..Excellent. Myung..inaudible crap!! 6 strings not needed.

Now , we know that these are 2 Awesome musicians . They endorse basses etc.(as does Wentz,whoever he is)in magazines.
Does it matter what they use at the end of the day? Cronos from Venom could be heard :)

As for the u2 Bassman. He has got to be the most focused player on the planet . Touring the world with Bono for so long ,must test the patience of so many.

[quote]As for the u2 Bassman. He has got to be the most focused player on the planet . Touring the world with Bono for so long ,must test the patience of so many.[/quote]

Still, he must be one of the luckiest people on the planet. Gets to travel the world, bang out some root notes each night and is disgustingly wealthy as a result.

[quote name='Machines' post='924190' date='Aug 13 2010, 05:47 PM']I'm sure dood will support me on this ![/quote]

I do Machines.

To call John Myung an awful bass player is to let your personal taste in the band as a whole package cloud your judgement. Have a listen to some of John's other projects if DT gets in the way too much lolz [/friendly jab]

I am adding the 'I am taking this thread with the lighthearted tone it should have' emoticon. :)

Hooky was, and remains, a HUGE influence on me. His work on Joy Division's "Atmosphere", for example, is simply definitive. I can't imagine a better line for that song.

I had to work out the bassline for U2's "All I Want Is You" last week - and pretty damn decent it is too. Some nice improvised bits, nothing overstated. Just right I would say.

I think many understimate the talent of bass players like those I mention above; to survive in a group for so long in a very tough business they must be doing something right.

[indent]
"I tell you folks
It's harder than it looks
It's a long way to the top
If you wanna rock 'n' roll"[/indent]

Some of my proudest moments in bass playing have also been the simplest.

Jennifer

[quote name='dood' post='924396' date='Aug 13 2010, 09:16 PM']To call John Myung an awful bass player is to let your personal taste in the band as a whole package cloud your judgement. Have a listen to some of John's other projects if DT gets in the way too much lolz [/friendly jab][/quote]

No, Myung isn't a great bass player full stop. Awful isn't really the right word to describe him, he's just VERY overrated in my opinion. His technique is poor in the left hand, and if any teacher taught you to play like he did, they would be doing you a massive disservice. Having watched through some stuff on Youtube it's clear that he has some nice ideas, but he's nothing extraordinary. There are many players on here who are equally competent and capable as he his. Having seen him live with Dream Theatre I was completely unimpressed and bored. I'd gone to the gig as a freebie and went with real excitement about seeing this so called super group and super bassist. Just incredibly dull. It's like paint by numbers for progressive rock! Or paint by numbers for bassists!