Why become a member? ×

Who is a truly awful bassist?

Annoying Twit

[quote name='gary mac' post='927779' date='Aug 17 2010, 05:28 PM']Nice inventive bass line though.[/quote]

??? You think so ? I though that playing the odd bum note and not having any sense of rythmn and general chord structure isn't really "inventive" but that's just me.

This bloke manages to make it sound even worse than it is on the record - if that's possible.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='927801' date='Aug 17 2010, 05:48 PM']??? You think so ? I though that playing the odd bum note and not having any sense of rythmn and general chord structure isn't really "inventive" but that's just me.[/quote]

according to songfacts, Ron Wood played bass on it. Edit: Ah, other information suggests Ronnie Lane. But other info suggests that only Wood, Danny Thompson, or Andy Pyle could have played it.

[quote]This bloke manages to make it sound even worse than it is on the record - if that's possible.[/quote]

Nice pickguard though.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='NJE' post='923776' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:02 PM']I see some "heated debate" in the future of this thread :)

I personally think Nicky Wire from the Manics is pretty poor but I think he writes a lot of their stuff or at least lyrics so fair doos.[/quote]
yep he has a very simple style (zero adventure or flare)!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='923999' date='Aug 13 2010, 03:15 PM']I'd rather listen to an hour* of Sid cocking up than a minute of some of the technical twiddlers that some people wet their pants over on here. I think the 'awful' description is open to a lot of interpretation.

*Well maybe 10 minutes.[/quote]
here here :-)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='926668' date='Aug 16 2010, 04:58 PM']Mark King is the boy, I couldn't and wouldn't argue otherwise. I'm the first to defend virtuoso players, the reason why Tal pops up here is because she is [i]not[/i] a virtuoso and yet inexplicably gets gigs that are top level. I expect to see a incredible bassists alongside Chick Corea, for instance - imagine going to see Chick and expecting Garrison, Wooten, Feraud etc etc and getting Tal plodding along instead. Her playing is IMO far below par for the people she plays with and it is to the detriment of the music as a whole!

It'd be like going to see the John Mclaughlin trio in the late 80's and finding Adam Clayton standing in for Kai Eckhardt![/quote]
How can you possible know what Tal is capable of??.... Shes young, and could no doubt could blow most away on here...she deserves a lot more respect that what you are giving her...

Tal certainly does not plod along???? what were you thinking when you wrote that??..Or maybe you think your qualified enough to out groove her...i doubt it...Do you actually think Jeff Beck, Chick Corea, are that un professional, to hire some one they didnt think was up to the job?? they hired her because shes a great bassist...

your comments were silly at best...

oh and stop bigging up friggin Mark King....we all know hes a great bassist but so what? hes nothing special among a world of IMHO more versatile bassists..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='928042' date='Aug 17 2010, 09:25 PM']How can you possible know what Tal is capable of??.... Shes young, and could no doubt could blow most away on here...she deserves a lot more respect that what you are giving her...

Tal certainly does not plod along???? what were you thinking when you wrote that??..Or maybe you think your qualified enough to out groove her...i doubt it...Do you actually think Jeff Beck, Chick Corea, are that un professional, to hire some one they didnt think was up to the job??

You cant compare her to the likes of Victor Wooten, Feraud..[/quote]

I think this post was made with a view to polarising people's views on stuff like this. I can't see what the Tal Wilkenfeld bashing is all about, I actually find her to be one of the few solo bass players I enjoy listening to, conversely I find Hadrien Feraud to be woefully boring to watch and listen to... more to the point though, neither of them are technically or musically challenged players, so neither of them are awful bassists.

It's easy to say 'I don't like Peter Hook or Mark King etc.' if you don't like their music either, but it doesn't mean that they're not right for the bands they play in. Basically it's all nonsense, innit! :)

[quote name='risingson' post='928055' date='Aug 17 2010, 09:35 PM']I think this post was made with a view to polarising people's views on stuff like this. I can't see what the Tal Wilkenfeld bashing is all about, I actually find her to be one of the few solo bass players I enjoy listening to, conversely I find Hadrien Feraud to be woefully boring to watch and listen to... more to the point though, neither of them are technically or musically challenged players, so neither of them are awful bassists.

It's easy to say 'I don't like Peter Hook or Mark King etc.' if you don't like their music either, but it doesn't mean that they're not right for the bands they play in. Basically it's all nonsense, innit! :)[/quote]

Agreed. The Tal bashing was pure stupidity. She's an amazing player, and we should all aspire to be like her.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='bubinga5' post='928042' date='Aug 17 2010, 09:25 PM']How can you possible know what Tal is capable of??.... Shes young, and could no doubt could blow most away on here[/quote]

That's subjective talk. Could she play 5 string down-tuned metal with the same attitude and feel as a seasoned metaller ? I wonder?

[quote]oh and stop bigging up friggin Mark King....we all know hes a great bassist but so what? hes nothing special among a world of IMHO more versatile bassists..[/quote]

I think he's a pretty innovative bass player and for his time was unique. I'm not a fan of Level 42 to be honest but credit where credit is due. He inspired a thousand and one bass players to pick up a bass and play like him. That and the fact he sings and plays some very complex basslines only adds to his credibility. How you can say he's nothing special is just plain old dumb imo. Along with John Entwistle I'd put Mark King down as among the most influential bass players this country has produced.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='928070' date='Aug 17 2010, 09:48 PM']That's subjective talk. Could she play 5 string down-tuned metal with the same attitude and feel as a seasoned metaller ? I wonder?

I think he's a pretty innovative bass player and for his time was unique. I'm not a fan of Level 42 to be honest but credit where credit is due. He inspired a thousand and one bass players to pick up a bass and play like him. That and the fact he sings and plays some very complex basslines only adds to his credibility. How you can say he's nothing special is just plain old dumb imo. Along with John Entwistle I'd put Mark King down as among the most influential bass players this country has produced.[/quote]

Agree. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='928064' date='Aug 17 2010, 09:45 PM']Agreed. The Tal bashing was pure stupidity. Regardless of her gender, she's an amazing player, and we should aspire to be like her.[/quote]

Ahhh that's the part I really take exception to! It's fine not to enjoy a bass player but because Tal is female it suddenly becomes acceptable for some idiots I've seen to become incredibly sexist and suggest her level of success is somehow related to her gender. Bollocks. You're either good or you're not. I'm not an avid fan of her music particularly but people like Herbie Hancock don't pick any old bass player to play in his band.

I've got to say I've read all of this thread and can't find one 'awful' bass player. It's just too vague a description

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='928070' date='Aug 17 2010, 09:48 PM']That's subjective talk. Could she play 5 string down-tuned metal with the same attitude and feel as a seasoned metaller ? I wonder?

I think he's a pretty innovative bass player and for his time was unique. I'm not a fan of Level 42 to be honest but credit where credit is due. He inspired a thousand and one bass players to pick up a bass and play like him. That and the fact he sings and plays some very complex basslines only adds to his credibility. How you can say he's nothing special is just plain old dumb imo. Along with John Entwistle I'd put Mark King down as among the most influential bass players this country has produced.[/quote]
For a start shes been playing for 7 years...7 years and shes as good as she is...

your also replying to my post out of context...i didnt say he wasnt innovative..i said versatile...this is prob because of his commercial interests in what has made him famous in the first place...

i actually said, he is nothing special in a world of bassist's...unique for a certain sound and style yes...Im not for a second bashing Mark King, hes a fantastic bassist, but there is so much out there...especially in the UK...Lawrence Cottle, Julian Crampton, Randy Taylor....

When you say Mark King inspired a thousand and one players to pick up the bass and play like him, is for me the problem...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='927833' date='Aug 17 2010, 06:32 PM']according to songfacts, Ron Wood played bass on it. Edit: Ah, other information suggests Ronnie Lane. But other info suggests that only Wood, Danny Thompson, or Andy Pyle could have played it.[/quote]

Well, as it's played on an bass guitar it's certainly not Danny, who hasn't played the bass guitar since a single tour in the 50s (with Roy Orbison?)

Edited by hoiho

[quote name='bubinga5' post='928089' date='Aug 17 2010, 10:06 PM']For a start shes been playing for 7 years...7 years and shes as good as she is...[/quote]

I never said she was a bad bassist.

[quote]your also replying to my post out of context...i didnt say he wasnt innovative..i said versatile...this is prob because of his commercial interests in what has made him famous in the first place...[/quote]

Just because he isn't versatile doesn't mean he is an average player. Christ almighty, Hank Marvin wasn't a very technical or versatile player but for his time, he inlfluenced a hell of a lot of people to pick up a guitar. He also changed the way people played guitar. James Jameson wasn't that versitle. Never heard him play a convincing rock tune, or anything other than soul and Jazz - doesn't mean that he wasn't one of the greatest bass players the world has ever seen.

[quote]i actually said, he is nothing special in a world of bassist's...unique for a certain sound and style yes...Im not for a second bashing Mark King, hes a fantastic bassist, but there is so much out there...especially in the UK...Lawrence Cottle, Julian Crampton, Randy Taylor....[/quote]

Lawrence Cottle, Julian Crampton, Randy Taylor are great players yes and versatile to an extent, but what have they done that is actually new and ground breaking? If your sole criteria on judging bass players is based on versatility, can they play punk and metal convincingly ? Have they done anything unique to change the way the bass is played or the way it sounds ? Not really imo. They are good players don't get me wrong, but to dismiss Mark King as "nothing special" is in my opinion way off the mark (no pun intended!).

I'm not having a dig at you mate, I'm just a little confused as to why somebody would dismiss Mr King and nothing special.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='928064' date='Aug 17 2010, 09:45 PM']Agreed. The Tal bashing was pure stupidity. She's an amazing player, and we should all aspire to be like her.[/quote]

SHE SUCKS AND I HATE HER.

[size=1]And that's definately not jealousy coming through :) [/size]