Why become a member? ×

Who is a truly awful bassist?

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='923843' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:33 PM']Hard one innit.

Sid wasn't your most gifted player. I think he did a decent job considering he was off his crust all the time and hadn't had more than a couple of months to learn from scratch. But he was a better choice for the Pistols than someone like Jaco Pastorius* would have been. It wasn't a technique based decision.

Horses for courses. If the band's successful the bass player obviously works in the line up. Doesn't matter if they're any good or not.

*Managed to get him in the thread :)[/quote]

Wooten would have been good in the Pistols.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='923844' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:34 PM']Didn't Paul Simonon join The Clash six weeks after starting to learn bass? Or is than an Urban Legend?[/quote]

I believe he learnt on the job. They rehearsed for hours and hours every day. He got there by dedication and little stickers with the notes written on them on his fret board.

I'd put pete wentz on the top of the list. But I'm fairly certain if he actually stood and concerntrated on playing the lines then he can't be that bad, it's just the Fangirls would rather watch him spin around like a knob than hear him play. That's why he sounds crap.

Next would have been Mark hoppus: although blink-182 was my first ever "rock" band, I have been witness to his talentless-ness. Although 80% he plays rather well concidering he sings and largly plays without looking at his bass. And to this date carousel is still my favourite bass-line to play, and the song alone has shaped the way I play bass and structure my own basslines. He also writes majority of the material including guitar and bass, so I can forgive him for having an off-day here and there and sometimes a bad sound.

I love Tim commerford, but these days he tone is ruining his talent, I preferred him better live when his signal was only dirty due to his ampeg and even then it was nice and cleanish with his Stingray. Rage just doesn't suit a passive jazz.

Hard to hear the bass playing here, but it sounds very basic.

Upon searching for videos of Fall Out Boy live, it seems that a lot of them are by fangirls interested in Pete for reasons other than his musicianship.

Language alert on this one where he somehow looks uncomfortable with his instrument, or is it just me?:

Another vote for Tal Wilkenfield. Not the most dire of the lot (perhaps), but so ridiculously overrated you'd think the greats like Jaco, Wooten, Hamm [i]et al[/i] had never been around! I contend that if she was a bloke, she'd have been written off as a lacklustre wannabe! Nothing personal against her, she's just uninspired and uninspiring!

Total rubbish players? I'd go for Paul McGuigan (Oasis). About 15 years ago I went to see Oasis at Loch Lomond and Guigsy managed to screw up "My Big Mouth." A song so simple that I'm quite sure someone who'd never played bass before could learn in 10 minutes. What a tube.

Bill Wyman (let's face it all the best stones basslines with the exception of "Miss You" are played by Keith Richards or Mick Taylor). Besides, anyone who still plays with just their thumb deserves a bit of a slap for not at least trying something new in the way of technique. I read an interview with him where he said his "style" was down to having small hands. Obviously getting a short scale bass wasn't an option for him. Div.

I would say though that the pinnicle of awfulness and lazy, slack playing would have to be Guy Berryman from Coldplay. Total and utter plodding crap. It's the sort of thing that makes me ashamed to be a Scottish bass player when you have total mugs like him getting paid millions for playing eigth note plodding rubbish of the lowest common denominator with no thought to feel or technique and using such a totally insipid bland sound. Tool.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='923922' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:30 PM']Another vote for Tal Wilkenfield. Not the most dire of the lot (perhaps), but so ridiculously overrated you'd think the greats like Jaco, Wooten, Hamm [i]et al[/i] had never been around! I contend that if she was a bloke, she'd have been written off as a lacklustre wannabe! Nothing personal against her, she's just uninspired and uninspiring![/quote]

Although I'd never place her as an awful player,this is pretty much my opinion of her. She can play but there are many players who can
blow her away,but aren't getting slipped a custard by Vinnie Colaiuta.

[quote name='Doddy' post='923932' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:34 PM']She can play but there are many players who can blow her away,but aren't getting slipped a custard by Vinnie Colaiuta.[/quote]

Kinda young, kinda wow.

Edit:

Well, I had to make the obligatory comment after seeing the name Vinnie Colaiuta, but I've listened to this and quite enjoyed it:

I haven't heard any of the hype, so perhaps that's what makes the difference.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='923937' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:38 PM']Kinda young, kinda wow.

Well, I had to make the obligatory comment after seeing the name Vinnie Colaiuta,[/quote]

I thought it was Warren Cuccarullo?

Vinnie was mentioned after.

[quote name='Doddy' post='923950' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:49 PM']I thought it was Warren Cuccarullo?

Vinnie was mentioned after.[/quote]

sh*t, I've been believing that it was Vinnie all these years.

Have you seen Waren Cuccarullo spouting off on youtube? What an idiot.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='923937' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:38 PM']Kinda young, kinda wow.

Edit:

Well, I had to make the obligatory comment after seeing the name Vinnie Colaiuta, but I've listened to this and quite enjoyed it:

I haven't heard any of the hype, so perhaps that's what makes the difference.[/quote]

Fantastic. And what a sound!

[quote name='Doddy' post='923932' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:34 PM']Although I'd never place her as an awful player,this is pretty much my opinion of her. She can play but there are many players who can
blow her away,but aren't getting slipped a custard by Vinnie Colaiuta.[/quote]

I think it's funny, because at the same time as Tal was new to scene, Hadrien Feraud was just getting about. However, he was making a name for himself as the most bombastic and outrageously talented player since Wooten arrived in the mainstream, whereas Tal just seemed to be a rising star based on the connections she got from piping off Vinnie Colaiuta!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='923963' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:57 PM']I think it's funny, because at the same time as Tal was new to scene, Hadrien Feraud was just getting about. However, he was making a name for himself as the most bombastic and outrageously talented player since Wooten arrived in the mainstream, whereas Tal just seemed to be a rising star based on the connections she got from piping off Vinnie Colaiuta![/quote]

Not a fan, then?