Why become a member? ×

Macca

Lord Sausage

While passing through New York recently, I was invited to a quiet little dinner party by my dear old chum UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon. "Just bring some beer and a dessert - maybe a raspberry ripple" he chirruped in that funny way he has.

Thus equipped, I arrived to find myself sat next to Sir Paul. Over the soup we started talking and he got onto the subject of 'Macca-hate' on bass guitar forums.

"Y'know, Skank La, I jus' don' gerrit, like" he opined mournfully "I lairn to play a left-cacker, I write some of the biggest hits of all time, I big up James Jamerson as a fab cat, give my cash away for music schools and save the Buddy Holly back catalogue while Jacko's using the cash from [i]my[/i] publishing to build kiddy-trap theme parks. I marry a tofu-muncher which means I can never have another bacon sarnie [i]ever [/i]. Then she dies and a one-legged psycho takes half me cash in the divorce and [i]still[/i] them BassChatters don't like me. Why is it?"

I dodged a bread roll thrown by Hillary Clinton (Jesus, that woman can drink) and pondered.

"Well, Pazza, me old mucker, it's simple. It's because you're not John Lennon. If someone had blown your brains all over the pavement thirty years ago, you'd be up there on a pedestal. 'Stead of which, people whom you've never met sit around and have colossal arguments over whether you're a twat or not."

Sir Paul stared into his nut crumble. "Not a lot I can do about that, is there?". I nodded.

"Short of throwing yourself under a bus, no, not a lot. Pass the butter, could you?"

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='903926' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:24 PM']+1 and, for example:

Maybe I'm Amazed
Jet
Band on the Run
Live and Let Die
Silly Love Songs
Coming Up
C Moon

(and many more) could easily have been great Beatles songs.[/quote]
+ 1 with that
(except c moon, ...dross :) )

Just an extra bonus : I am Flemish and because of the fact that I was listening to Beatles-Wings music, my English got better :-)
You all have the luxury of listening to someone in your own language but I don't have that, it takes nothing away from the fact that his songs are great (and the bass-playing is excellent too)

If you are under 50 you will only have read about the impact of the Beatles. Your impressions and views will be second-hand, passed on by others. Rock and roll changed a section of music but those who experienced music before the Beatles will understand how the whole world of music was changed forever by just those 4 people. Yes, even Ringo!

And don't forget George Martin.

They influenced Motown, Brian Wilson and Bob Dylan, who in turn fed back into Lennon/McCartney's writing. There were creative people before and since and you can hate the Beatles if you must, but their effect was like the detonation of an atom bomb in the music writing and recording industries.

They weren’t perfect: I don’t like McCartney’s bass tone or George Harrison's rock and roll solos, but for me the worst song they wrote is better than most of the competition.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='903934' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:32 PM']While passing through New York recently, I was invited to a quiet little dinner party by my dear old chum UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon. "Just bring some beer and a dessert - maybe a raspberry ripple" he chirruped in that funny way he has.

Thus equipped, I arrived to find myself sat next to Sir Paul. Over the soup we started talking and he got onto the subject of 'Macca-hate' on bass guitar forums.

"Y'know, Skank La, I jus' don' gerrit, like" he opined mournfully "I lairn to play a left-cacker, I write some of the biggest hits of all time, I big up James Jamerson as a fab cat, give my cash away for music schools and save the Buddy Holly back catalogue while Jacko's using the cash from [i]my[/i] publishing to build kiddy-trap theme parks. I marry a tofu-muncher which means I can never have another bacon sarnie [i]ever [/i]. Then she dies and a one-legged psycho takes half me cash in the divorce and [i]still[/i] them BassChatters don't like me. Why is it?"

I dodged a bread roll thrown by Hillary Clinton (Jesus, that woman can drink) and pondered.

"Well, Pazza, me old mucker, it's simple. It's because you're not John Lennon. If someone had blown your brains all over the pavement thirty years ago, you'd be up there on a pedestal. 'Stead of which, people whom you've never met sit around and have colossal arguments over whether you're a twat or not."

Sir Paul stared into his nut crumble. "Not a lot I can do about that, is there?". I nodded.

"Short of throwing yourself under a bus, no, not a lot. Pass the butter, could you?"[/quote]
Brilliantly on the button as always, Skank La. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='902732' date='Jul 23 2010, 02:18 AM']I never understood John Entwhistle. I sounded fairly good when all I had to spend on an amp was a hundred quid. Meanwhile he had practically unlimited funds and a rig half the size of Wembley and still routinely sounded like sh*t.

But he was good, right?

He also played sh*t-looking basses, so he could look like sh*t while he sounded like sh*t.

I know he's dead and all but seriously he's one of the shittest-sounding and shittest-looking bassists ever. Meanwhile McCartney managed to sound good on every record I've ever heard him on, and he wrote all the Beatles' best songs. Making him f***ing loads better than John Entwhistle at basically everything except being a pretentious pointy-guitared twat.[/quote]

I'm going to be controversial here......I actually agree with this.

Like I said,I quite like McCartney but I'm not a massive fan. However I don't get Entwistle at all. I don't like his playing or his tone.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='903097' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:36 PM']Read your post and then listened to While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Brilliant, I'm smiling big time.

Now listening to Happiness is a Warm Gun and still smiling.

I'm sure lots of the White Album, especially McCartney's bass, is a massive influence on later heavy rock.[/quote]

I'm actually going to see a show tonight in Gent where a band plays the entire White Album (from start to finish without pauses or any talking) and they do a remarkable job (saw it two months ago and I was stunned). Five people who cover the entire album (they rehearsed 6 weeks to get every detail). Not even The Beatles themselves played this ever live..
Hardest job is for the stand-in McCartney who has to play "Why don't we do it in the road", put his bass down, grab an acoustic guitar and continue with "I Will". Kills his voice but he pulls it off (it's harder when he does 'Helter Skelter"). They even play "Number 9 " :-)

Wow, I'd love to see that show - what's the name of the band?

Meanwhile, Skank's post was right on the button. I'm constantly amazed by people who can 'hate' someone they've never met, and almost certainly never will, and so can have no idea about what they're really like.

Of course there will be some people that don't like Macca's music or bass playing. Fine. But that's hardly a reason to regard him as a to**er. And it's simply purile to even attempt to deny his success and influence. I guess it's an envy thing.

I can't stand opera, so I don't go or listen to it. I also don't bother to post on opera forums about them all being a bunch of warbling w*nkers who should get a life and do something with a bit more beat to it. Consequently, we all seem to get on fine.

[quote name='Doddy' post='903987' date='Jul 24 2010, 01:33 PM']I'm going to be controversial here......I actually agree with this.

Like I said,I quite like McCartney but I'm not a massive fan. However I don't get Entwistle at all. I don't like his playing or his tone.[/quote]

Perfectly reasonable to say that - I hope you aren't agreeing with the more colourfully put point in the post though! That was totally uncalled for and was the main reason for my rather defensive post about John.

It's fine not to like something, but to be awful and personal about someone none of us know and to quote opinion as fact - well, it's a bit sad really and inflammatory to say the least.

[quote name='JTUK' post='903535' date='Jul 23 2010, 08:25 PM']I preferred his sound in the earlier days....as much as I ever took notice of him ...but his stints with Alembic and the like didn't really work, IMV, for a rock sound. He has the same problem as McCvie with his efforts... too wimpy a sound for their type of bass/drums section.
IMHO.

Give these guys a freakin P-Bass[/quote]

Seeing as they both used P-Basses at various times in their careers that's a strange thing to say.

Completely disagree with the other comment BTW, although you're perfectly entitled to your opinion. Entwistle's Alembic sound is one of my favourite rock bass sounds of all time (I think the last thing it is is "wimpy"), and I love McVie's Alembic sound too.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='903709' date='Jul 24 2010, 01:22 AM']Actually his fuzzed-up flatwound sound on My Generation was the only time he ever sounded good. He sounded worse the more technology he threw at it.[/quote]

In your opinion. Personally I think it was the worst sound he ever had, and he only arrived at it because he kept breaking the thin roundwounds on his Danelectros.

[quote name='Doddy' post='903987' date='Jul 24 2010, 01:33 PM']However I don't get Entwistle at all. I don't like his playing or his tone.[/quote]

This is what I essentially said about Marcus and got a load of grief for. Works both ways doesn't it? Personally I'd take the Ox every day of the week, but each to their own.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='904004' date='Jul 24 2010, 01:53 PM']I'm actually going to see a show tonight in Gent where a band plays the entire White Album (from start to finish without pauses or any talking) and they do a remarkable job (saw it two months ago and I was stunned). Five people who cover the entire album (they rehearsed 6 weeks to get every detail). Not even The Beatles themselves played this ever live..
Hardest job is for the stand-in McCartney who has to play "Why don't we do it in the road", put his bass down, grab an acoustic guitar and continue with "I Will". Kills his voice but he pulls it off (it's harder when he does 'Helter Skelter"). They even play "Number 9 " :-)[/quote]

There's a band called the fab faux that did abbey road second half live:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhDCIftfdA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhDCIftfdA[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_H37A_-lI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_H37A_-lI...feature=related[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_H37A_-lI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4_H37A_-lI...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='chris_b' post='903955' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:48 PM']If you are under 50 you will only have read about the impact of the Beatles. Your impressions and views will be second-hand, passed on by others. Rock and roll changed a section of music but those who experienced music before the Beatles will understand how the whole world of music was changed forever by just those 4 people. Yes, even Ringo!

And don't forget George Martin.

They influenced Motown, Brian Wilson and Bob Dylan, who in turn fed back into Lennon/McCartney's writing. There were creative people before and since and you can hate the Beatles if you must, but their effect was like the detonation of an atom bomb in the music writing and recording industries.

They weren’t perfect: I don’t like McCartney’s bass tone or George Harrison's rock and roll solos, but for me the worst song they wrote is better than most of the competition.[/quote]

Well said Chris. I happen to love the Beatles and that may have something to do with the fact that I lived opposite Paul in the early to mid 60s when things were really starting to kick off. I was only young but I have very vivid memories of the time and the effect they had on the world was as Chris says - like an atom bomb going off.

Their music changed everything forever.

Paul may seem an arrogant twat to some people but I have no memories of that - I still remember him coming back to the road many years later with Linda - who he'd just married. I was in the front garden helping my Dad and Paul came straight over to us and stood talking to my Dad who he called 'Uncle Bill' about the old days for twenty minutes and he still knew my name and said to Linda .."this lad used to drive me mad asking for autographs so he could sell them at school'.

He was warm, friendly and down to earth - as was Linda.

I have no problem with people who say they don't like The Beatles but to deny their profound influence on everything that has been played since would be ridiculous.

My Mum still lives in the same house in Forthlin Road and every day she sees the coach loads of people from all over the world trundle up and down the road just to look at his old house. It's about 45 years since he lived there and that speaks volumes to me.

Alan's summed it up for me. I'm not a Beatles fan per se, but the influence they had on music cannot be argued against.

My memories are of being a young lad, and hearing 'I wanna Hold Your Hand' and 'She Loves You' on the radio in the early 70's. Those two songs still give me goose pimples when I hear them, maybe only for nostalgic reasons, but nevertheless, pop music at it's undeniable best for me.

Alan's stories of his friendship with Paul and Mike and subsequent brushes with Lennon and Co are just amazing.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='903926' date='Jul 24 2010, 12:24 PM']+1 and, for example:

Maybe I'm Amazed
Jet
Band on the Run
Live and Let Die
Silly Love Songs
Coming Up
C Moon

(and many more) could easily have been great Beatles songs.[/quote]
To quote Alan Partridge:
"Wings were the band the Beatles could have been."
:)

[quote name='4000' post='904156' date='Jul 24 2010, 05:16 PM']Seeing as they both used P-Basses at various times in their careers that's a strange thing to say.

Completely disagree with the other comment BTW, although you're perfectly entitled to your opinion. Entwistle's Alembic sound is one of my favourite rock bass sounds of all time (I think the last thing it is is "wimpy"), and I love McVie's Alembic sound too.[/quote]

Not really, because everytime I have seen their work on TV, the worst tone they get is from their efforts with the more boutique basses
basses.
It just doesn't suit McVies basic style and some of the recordings have been woefully weedy the way they come across on TV/DVD.
If ever there was an opportunity to fix something, that would be it...so I can only summise they wanted it like that...
and for a RnB gig, he needs a good talking to, IMHO.

As for Entwistle, his early stuff is as good as he got for him, I think. His work with Moon was great because they were both all over the place...
and when it came off, it was something, but they were also very scruffy sounding players hence the car crach comment.
He would never be my type of bassist anyway but I agree the chemistry between Entwistle and Moon worked ...upto a point.
You couldn't have planned that and got aweay with it...

Do nothing for me.........and niether have a cultured enough style to make the typical Alembic sound work, IMV.

At lest McCartney knows his limitations soundwise with his Hofner..

[quote name='JTUK' post='905118' date='Jul 25 2010, 07:26 PM']He would never be my type of bassist anyway but I agree the chemistry between Entwistle and Moon worked ...upto a point.[/quote]

Entwistle was a bass god despite Moon, not anything to do with his talents. Moon was "self-taught" to the point that he couldn't even hold the sticks properly.
Not that anyone self-taught is necessarily sh*t, but he was a deffo exception.

Paul McCartney took his bass playing very seriously when he was in the Beatles. He said he that the basslines were the last thing to be added. He'd wait until everybody else had done their bit and gone home then record the bass. You can tell that in the later stuff and especially Sgt Pepper because the basslines are very complentary to the songs. especially the vocal melodies.
In Let it Be (the film) the sound he has through the amp is really very overdriven...........almost fuzz bass. Not what I would have expected at all.