Why become a member? ×

Macca

Lord Sausage

[quote name='JTUK' post='905118' date='Jul 25 2010, 07:26 PM']Not really, because everytime I have seen their work on TV, the worst tone they get is from their efforts with the more boutique basses
basses.
It just doesn't suit McVies basic style and some of the recordings have been woefully weedy the way they come across on TV/DVD.
If ever there was an opportunity to fix something, that would be it...so I can only summise they wanted it like that...
and for a RnB gig, he needs a good talking to, IMHO.[/quote]

In your opinion. Which I don't share. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it's fact. As I already stated, I love the Alembic sound that both use, and prefer both sounds to any P Bass I've ever heard (with the posible exception of JJ Burnel). And this may surprise you, but my opinion is just as valid as yours.

[quote]As for Entwistle, his early stuff is as good as he got for him, I think. His work with Moon was great because they were both all over the place...
and when it came off, it was something, but they were also very scruffy sounding players hence the car crach comment.
He would never be my type of bassist anyway but I agree the chemistry between Entwistle and Moon worked ...upto a point.
You couldn't have planned that and got aweay with it...

Do nothing for me.........and niether have a cultured enough style to make the typical Alembic sound work, IMV.

At lest McCartney knows his limitations soundwise with his Hofner..[/quote]

:)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='906966' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:39 PM']...............that is my personal opinion, you don't have to like it or try to argue it.[/quote]

Ahaa, hooray for the rational thinker. It's only taken 8 pages but at last we have someone that knows what having an opinion really means. :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='906773' date='Jul 27 2010, 10:39 AM']You don't even have to start trying to go as deep as that, just have the pathetic pro-McCartneys here accept that a lot of people just don't like what they hear when they a Beatles or McCartney song comes on, it's not difficult.[/quote]

You completely missed my point, perhaps by not reading my entire post, which included:

[i]Of course an opinion is just that and cannot, really, be wrong. But it's a common mistake to extrapolate opinions into daft statements such as "I can't stand XXX, s/he's a crap musician".[/i]

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='906989' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:51 PM'][b]Ahaa, hooray for the rational thinker[/b]. It's only taken 8 pages but at last we have someone that knows what having an opinion really means. :)[/quote]

Coming from the man who has been calling people Nazi's and fascists, this is really quite amazing

Perhaps this should be approached the other way.

Who else has been in the business for 50 years, developed song writing, song production, recording techniques and instrumental styles to the same extent as he has? On a cynical level as a frustrated employee, who can afford to take any musical avenue he fancies without worrying about paying the rent?

To dismiss his achievements as utter Shi+e is deluded, hangover or no! There are musicians and bands and songs that have me in blue fits that other musicians rate really highly and I'm trying to be more open minded about them. If a sportsman was able to have a career that was half a century long, would every game be a classic? Impossible. A novelist knock out a flawless tome every single time, highly unlikely. A musician that can turn up in any country in the world, play a song he's written and have a person in the room recognise it? A colossal mind blowing accomplishment. Every song of his a jewel, I can't argue that, but I can't think of a band or artist where I get off on every single note.

Been reading comments starting from personal taste and that's just pointless ...
I happen to like also "Wonderful Xmas time" ànd "Mull of Kintyre" (I thought the bagpipes were fantastic when it came out and I still love it, a friend of mine gets tears in her eyes when she hears it because it touches her, would you call her stupid or tasteless ?)
I don't like Kyuss or Metallica but I wouldn't call that crap music...If millions of people buy their albums, who am I to doubt their taste and think mine is better or worse, it's just different.
I feel very fortunate to have McCartney's music in my collection, that's all I need...no one can or will take that away from me. I don't need to be convinced of anything and I don't want to convince anyone. I'm happy as it is.

I think Macca 'the man' is bigger (better known) than Macca 'the bassist in the Beatles'. He's done very well for himself arranging the same notes we all use in a commercially advantageous and very popular way to make lots of money. I have respect for what he's achieved, not only as a bassist, but as a musician. I'm not sure I like the guy (I've never met him, thus reserve judgement). His contribution to music is undeniable (and to this thread) as is his influence on many musicians (not just bassists).

Wil

[quote name='4000' post='906971' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:45 PM']In your opinion. Which I don't share. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it's fact. As I already stated, I love the Alembic sound that both use, and prefer both sounds to any P Bass I've ever heard (with the posible exception of JJ Burnel). And this may surprise you, but my opinion is just as valid as yours.

:)[/quote]

Well, there you go. All the sounds I can't stand, you seem to love.
Who cares?

I stated my opinion and you can either live with it or not. It is a thread asking for opinions.

Hooray, the last few sentences sum up the entire thread. We're gonna have to live with other people's opinions which is what the OP asked for. No need for perosnal abuse, no need for Waldo at all who obviously doesn't understand the word "fascist" or how to type more than one or two sentences all in one go.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='907133' date='Jul 27 2010, 02:27 PM']Hooray, the last few sentences sum up the entire thread. We're gonna have to live with other people's opinions which is what the OP asked for. [b]No need for perosnal abuse[/b], no need for Waldo at all who obviously doesn't understand the word "fascist" or how to type more than one or two sentences all in one go.[/quote]

Hm, now that's an interesting point you raise.

Is this why you've labelled people as 'twats', 'Nazis', insecure, 'dim' and that they subscribe to authoritarian politial ideologies? And suggest that people such as myself don't know how to type? (what's actually with that anyway?)

Nice one.

Hey, you're fairly coming on, in a few years you'll have hairs on your chest AND be able to get your joined up sentences into double figures.
Considering you were logged in as a I typed that last post you've only taken ooooh half an hour for those four.

[quote name='Waldo' post='907214' date='Jul 27 2010, 03:42 PM']Becuase being logged on means that I'm spending 100% of my time crafting responses to you? :)[/quote]

Or doing spell checks.

So the answer to the original OP is, "no, some don't think at all, some think he was great, some think he is great & the rest are somewhere inbetween "yeah, whatever" and "what a crock".

And the answer to the second question is "yeah, most care that folk are allowed present their opinions without being slagged for them", which seemes to be the final thought on here.
[i]Apart from one up there who can't grasp that denying people their opinion is a symptom of fascism.[/i]

Exeunt stage left.

No-one is attempting to 'deny' your opinion. I am simply asserting that it does not reflect well on what you have to say when you back it up with [i]repeated[/i] ad hominem attacks as well as suggesting that people on here subscribe to the ideologies of a genocidal regime. Especially when you yourself have said: (what was that you were saying about spelling?)

[quote]No need for perosnal abuse[/quote]

Of course, if this sort of thing is ok then someone let me know. I haven't been on here for a while.

In the mean time, I will return to writing the research proposal for my PhD and I look forward to checking back to see if any more doubts have been cast on my intelligence.

[quote name='Waldo' post='907272' date='Jul 27 2010, 04:25 PM']No-one is attempting to 'deny' your opinion.[/quote]

There were plenty on here trying to change, ie. deny, [i]various[/i] posters opinions. Trying to brow-beat a person to change their mind, or to regurgitate statistics, again, to try to force people into changing their mind is fascist in it's approach.

Of course it's allowed on here or certainly seems to be, as I already posted eleswhere I'm glad it is; it sure beats the alternative of having the place shut down every time it kicks off.
Seriously, the Beatles as well as religion, race & gender should be made off limits on here, too many folk who deify their favourite artist to make gathering OPINIONS worthwhile.

Funny enough I get the impression whenever I'm visiting bass-chat as a "foreigner" (I'm not from Great Britain) that in general people aren't that "proud" of McCartney (this tread is again proof) which surprises me since he's part of the British culture, if you like it or not.
There are various treads which show that no one is favouring him or putting him on a pedestal (like 'favourite bassplayer" or "big influence").
I don't get the impression that he's "God" whenever I'm around here so I don't get that "fascism". He's got his fans (I'm amongst them) but not to the extreme.
Actually I feel that around here (Belgium, Holland, Germany, France, etc) people are showing much more appreciation for what he's achieved (as a bass-player or as a singer) than in his own country but I could be wrong.

[quote name='JTUK' post='907126' date='Jul 27 2010, 02:19 PM']Well, there you go. All the sounds I can't stand, you seem to love.
Who cares?

I stated my opinion and you can either live with it or not. It is a thread asking for opinions.[/quote]

Absolutely; couldn't agree more. However what I find weird is that you seem to have it in your head that the artists in question are/were [i]wrong[/i] to use those sounds. Surely that's up to them? Neither of our opinions matter one jot really, it's [i]their [/i]opinions that count.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Waldo' post='907317' date='Jul 27 2010, 04:58 PM']I was going to make a joke about onions then 4000 :rolleyes:[/quote]
Maybe I should have left it; might've lightened the tone. If you'll excuse the pun.:)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='wombatboter' post='907307' date='Jul 27 2010, 04:52 PM']Funny enough I get the impression whenever I'm visiting bass-chat as a "foreigner" (I'm not from Great Britain) that in general people aren't that "proud" of McCartney (this tread is again proof) which surprises me since he's part of the British culture, if you like it or not.
There are various treads which show that no one is favouring him or putting him on a pedestal (like 'favourite bassplayer" or "big influence").
I don't get the impression that he's "God" whenever I'm around here so I don't get that "fascism". He's got his fans (I'm amongst them) but not to the extreme.
Actually I feel that around here (Belgium, Holland, Germany, France, etc) people are showing much more appreciation for what he's achieved (as a bass-player or as a singer) than in his own country but I could be wrong.[/quote]

You're right, in fact you're bang on the money. I think people on the continent are more accepting and willing to put personality to one side and actually appreciate what McCartney has done for music. He is technically a well established figure in British popular culture and history but there is just a different attitude to music as a whole in the UK. I don't think it's as well appreciated as it is elsewhere in Europe. I visit Scandinavia often and you can't help feeling like their passion for music outweighs that of our own sometimes.

[quote name='wombatboter' post='907346' date='Jul 27 2010, 05:21 PM']Well : as a positive note, whether it's McCartney, The Kaiser Chiefs, The Smiths or anyone else : you can be proud of what the UK has contributed to popmusic. It beats Belgium ! :-)[/quote]
[b]TRADE FEELER:[/b]

Complete collection of big-name British musos 1963-2010. Trade for Belgian Beer / Chocolate / Historic Towns / Meuse Valley / Ardennes, etc.

Cash adjustment from me.

Edited by skankdelvar