Why become a member? ×

Macca

Lord Sausage

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='909213' date='Jul 29 2010, 01:31 PM']That's three times you've done that now and YOU are asking ME if I'm reading things properly???

I haven't even bothered reading the rest of your post it's obviously a complete and utter waste of time, you must get sleepless nights if anyone doubts the magnificence of the object of your undoubted obsession.

I'm outta this complete waste of space. There's a bloke just gone for lunch here, he's "influenced" me into doing the same because obviously no-one's ever done that without him thinking of it have they?[/quote]

Oh good grief. What, that I've gone on to make a completely different point after stating that I have no issue with you not liking him? Maybe if you'd read past that you'd have SEEN it was a different point.

As for obsession, it's obviously you who are obsessed, but with not liking him. He actually wouldn't feature in my favourite 20 or so bassists; he may be even further down than that. Apparently liking someone's playing or admitting they're an influential player is obsession? Crikey, I'm surprised I haven't received a restraining order from Chris Squire, Lemmy, Stanley Clarke or Leigh Gorman.

As for your last comment, nice to see you have a rational, logical argument to counter my assertion that McCartney has been AN influential bass player, not THE ONLY influential bass player. Big of name, small of reasoning.....

Anyway, I think I've had enough of Basschat and I'm off to get a life somewhere where the rational people are. On the way I'll pop in on Pablo Picasso to let him know that nobody ever liked his paintings and that they had no impact whatsoever on 20th century art. Ta-ta!

I think its absolutey hilarious that people still use the word "crikey"
QUOTE:
"Crikey, I'm surprised I haven't received a restraining order from Chris Squire, Lemmy, Stanley Clarke or Leigh Gorman":UNQUOTE

its just such an "Enid Blyton" word....

we really should be allowed some swear words here!
if we play nicely...

we would't though,would we?

Some people [i]like[/i] a certain bass player or band or genre, and other people [i]don't[/i], because they're into something else, that's it. No point at all arguing about it.

Hilarious read though, but I do worry about some of our members, and their state of mind.

I said 'crikey' to an American girl once, she also thought it was the weirdest word she'd ever heard.

[quote name='Sumbabba' post='909995' date='Jul 30 2010, 10:28 AM']Apparently a bit of a c*** of a person though according to a source of mine...[/quote]

If I was a "Sir" and had a purported fortune of £800m+ I wouldn't give a **** what people thought of me.

[quote name='zero9' post='910239' date='Jul 30 2010, 01:25 PM']If I was a "Sir" and had a purported fortune of £800m+ I wouldn't give a **** what people thought of me.[/quote]

That, in itself is no character reference at all, IMV. Just as capable of being a total arsehole with those, IMV.

I am not saying that myself about the subject of this topic tho' as I haven't met him. I did recall gigging with someone who worked for him for years and he certainly had an opinion... for his own reasons.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='witterth' post='910059' date='Jul 30 2010, 11:11 AM']I think its absolutey hilarious that people still use the word "crikey"[/quote]
Most pertinent observation of the thread (pace Scalpy's [i]keenly [/i]observed piece. And a few others).

Crikey is rather a fine word and sadly under-used. I'd welcome the reappearance of such alternative exclamations as:

[b]Jings[/b], I'm surprised I haven't received ...etc
[b]Man alive[/b], I'm surprised I haven't received ...etc
[b]Lordy Lordy[/b], I'm surprised I haven't received ...etc
[b]Jakers[/b], I'm surprised I haven't received ...etc
[b]God's blood[/b], I'm surprised I haven't received ...etc
[b]Great Caesar's Ghost[/b], I'm surprised I haven't received ...etc
[b]Damn your eyes, Sir[/b], I'm surprised I haven't received ...etc

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='witterth' post='910059' date='Jul 30 2010, 11:11 AM']I think its absolutey hilarious that people still use the word "crikey"[/quote]

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='910268' date='Jul 30 2010, 01:53 PM']Most pertinent observation of the thread (pace Scalpy's [i]keenly [/i]observed piece. And a few others).

Crikey is rather a fine word and sadly under-used. I'd welcome the reappearance of such alternative exclamations as:

[b]Damn your eyes, Sir[/b], I'm surprised I haven't received ...etc[/quote]
Ok, breaking my decision to not bother posting in this thread - but as it's you skank... :)
Gods holy trousers! I must admit to being guilty of still saying 'crikey' quite a bit.
My American cousin and friends thought it hilarious when I first blurted it out during a conversation over dinner one time.
I always liked 'Great Caesar's Ghost', too. (Thanks, Chief!! :rolleyes: )

"why dont we do it in the road?"
is among Beatles, aficionardos, the "dead" or even "Worst" tune they recorded together....but listen to the Bass .....its ace. very simple, but ace... Macca

ooppss "ace of bass" ....see what I did there?
It was a mistake!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='910268' date='Jul 30 2010, 01:53 PM']Most pertinent observation of the thread (pace Scalpy's [i]keenly [/i]observed piece. And a few others).

Jakers!! .....HA,Ha,Ha,HA!! I'd forgotten that one.
I also think, the phrase
"Help 'ma Boab".....
from "oor Wille" I used to read in the sunday post as a kid should make a come back.
Im not scottish, I just like them guys!

should this be a new thread by the way?
swearing that "isnt swearing"?

if this is a hijack I've no mask BTW

You have a glaring ommission from your list my good man - the lovable cockney phrase sometimes used by myself for no apparent reason of either "Cor Blimey Guv'nor" which can be substituted with "Cor Lumme Guv'nor".

I'm off out for a spot of late lunch, a matinee showing at the local cinematorium and possibly a yard of ale. this will be followed by some kind of 'fast' food involving the lower end of the quality meat spectrum, an indiscriminent sauce and some fancy footwork to compensate for the world spinning off its axis as is the way after several alcoholic librations

[quote name='witterth' post='910352' date='Jul 30 2010, 03:30 PM']Jakers!! .....HA,Ha,Ha,HA!! I'd forgotten that one.
I also think, the phrase
"Help 'ma Boab".....
from "oor Wille" I used to read in the sunday post as a kid should make a come back.
Im not scottish, I just like them guys!

should this be a new thread by the way?
swearing that "isnt swearing"?

if this is a hijack I've no mask BTW[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakers!_The_Adventures_of_Piggley_Winks"]Jakers[/url] is also a rather spiffing TV show, allegedly for kids, about a bunch of farm animals including a small pig and his wise grandfather. I watched it a lot when my lad was of the appropriate age. It's a good one.

"The word "Jakers!" is based on an Irish expression used back in the 1950's and means "wow!" or "amazing!" - Piggley and his father use it to express their delight when they discover something on their adventures."

I use "Crikey" and "Oh Goodness" as often as possible along with "Chortle" and "gosh!" :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Waldo' post='906770' date='Jul 27 2010, 10:30 AM']I haven't been on here on a while so someone will have to help me out on this:

Is this guy some sort of wind up merchant?[/quote]
Read the thread. I gave up responding to him ages ago on page 4/5 when he could only manage personal abuse rather than reasoned discussion.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='916266' date='Aug 5 2010, 06:42 PM']Read the thread. I gave up responding to him ages ago on page 4/5 when he could only manage personal abuse rather than reasoned discussion.[/quote]

You two trolls should get together. What kind of retard dregs up a thread that's been dead for days just to post an inflammatory POS like that?

"Reasoned discussion"??? You've just proven what I said originally.

I've been in Cuba for the last ten days. Travelled around a lot and heard many Cuban musicians playing mostly Cuban songs. I must have heard [i]Guantanamera[/i] fifty times. There were occasions when I wouldn't have known whether it was strictly Cuban or not. Sat in a restaurant one lunchtime, our driver, Emilio, leaning over and pointing at the musicians, says, 'No Cubans, Mexicans'.

However, I also heard a few non-Cuban songs played in Cuban style: Hey Jude, And I Love Her, Michelle, Let It Be, She's Leaving Home.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='916280' date='Aug 5 2010, 06:54 PM']I've been in Cuba for the last ten days. Travelled around a lot and heard many Cuban musicians playing mostly Cuban songs. I must have heard [i]Guantanamera[/i] fifty times. There were occasions when I wouldn't have known whether it was strictly Cuban or not. Sat in a restaurant one lunchtime, our driver, Emilio, leaning over and pointing at the musicians, says, 'No Cubans, Mexicans'.

However, I also heard a few non-Cuban songs played in Cuban style: Hey Jude, And I Love Her, Michelle, Let It Be, She's Leaving Home.[/quote]

I'm very pleased for you, my son had a couple of weeks there last year & highly recommended it to me, very friendly people who need the tourism he said. His regular cab driver took my son & his g/f home for dinner with his family.

After such a wonderful time I'm surprised you felt the need to jump right back into stirring it up on here. Especially since in your absence there have been several posts agreeing with my point that P McC isn't to everyone's taste & that equally everyone is entitled to their opinion without being told that their opinion is wrong. Which were the two points I was making.

To be honest I think McCartney is pedestrian at best, His line and playing are function and occasionally extend into mildly interesting, but never inventive or exciting. You could probably argue they are perfectly suited to the songs but that's without any comparison so difficult to argue.
I have heard people say "Its what he doesn't play"..........Well anyone can play silence :)

Edited by cd_david