Why become a member? ×

This is going to sound daft...

Gust0o

Its an old tried and tested methd guitarists use to breath new life int old strings. Personally, as someone who changes strings aboput once a decade, I hate the sound of new strings so I would never do it. It apparently makes them bright for a little while but they get dull again very quickly. Never heard it done with bass strings but why not?

Well, I've always been one for experiential learning, according to the last development workshop foisted upon me - I suspect this could be the moment to find out. I have a couple of old sets which are bin-bound.

I don't suppose you know how long I'm supposed to boil them for?

Hell yeah,,course Bass Players boils strings,, makes them zingy again,,, used to do this all the time,,,, cover in water,and boil for couple of mins,, amazingly they conduct heat so well they are almost cold instantly when removed ( disclaimer...... be careful)
can add touch of vinegar as well,,, all you are doing is boiling off the dead skin an crap,, but as stated above the effect only works for a while,,,, enough for a couple of gigs tho...used to tell the kids it was their tea!!

Edited by Toddy

[quote name='Gust0o' post='854887' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:24 PM']Boiling bass strings?

Thoughts people?

This is a new one on me; I've heard of people cleaning strings, or treating them, but not boiling them.[/quote]

Tried a tested way of getting a few more gigs out of some ropey strings if you are down on beans. If you like the bright sound of new strings etc and its useful if you are down on beans etc and your strings won't intonate!! as they are full of grease and bits of your fingers!!!!

[quote name='Toddy' post='854923' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:43 PM']Hell yeah,,course Bass Players boils strings,, makes them zingy again,,, used to do this all the time,,,, cover in water,and boil for couple of mins,, amazingly they conduct heat so well they are almost cold instantly when removed ( disclaimer...... be careful)
can add touch of vinegar as well,,, all you are doing is boiling off the dead skin an crap,, but as stated above the effect only works for a while,,,, enough for a couple of gigs tho...used to tell the kids it was their tea!![/quote]

Yup
When this were all fields and all we had was Rotosounds I used to do this all the time
+1 for a touch of vinegar, or lemon if you are posh ..
Bung em back on. Fast fret to stop them removing your finger prints (unless required :) ) and away you go for another few gigs.

Do a search, lots of threads on boiling strings.

The alternate version as geoffbyrne pointed out which doesn't involve heat is to soak the strings in meths for a bit. Get's rid of the crap without heating up (therefore expanding) the strings and also doesn't involve water, which is a good thing considering strings are mostly steel.

Edited by Buzz

This according to the book '101 Bass Tips' by Gary Willis:

1. Wind the strings into a circle small enough to fit into the pan you're using.
2. Boil in regular tap water for 15 minutes.
3. Carefully remove and dry with a clean towel (not paper towels).
4. Wrap in foil and perforate with a fork to let air circulate.
5. Preheat oven to lowest temperature possible.
6. Dry in oven for 15 mins.
7. Reinstall strings for that bright 'almost new' sound.

I would have thought drying in the oven would solve any rust issues, but I haven't tried it yet, tbh.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='OldGit' post='854938' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:48 PM']Yup
When this were all fields and all we had was Rotosounds I used to do this all the time
+1 for a touch of vinegar, or lemon if you are posh ..
Bung em back on. Fast fret to stop them removing your finger prints (unless required :) ) and away you go for another few gigs.[/quote]
Huh! You were lucky!
We used to dreeeaaam of Rotosounds!
All we had were cheap old Picato strings. And no lemon... Or vinegar...! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Stingray5' post='855030' date='Jun 2 2010, 04:10 PM']Huh! You were lucky! We used to dreeeaaam of Rotosounds! All we had were cheap old Picato strings. And no lemon... Or vinegar...![/quote]

And you try and tell the young people of today that... they won't believe you.

[quote name='discreet' post='855025' date='Jun 2 2010, 04:08 PM']This according to the book '101 Bass Tips' by Gary Willis:

1. Wind the strings into a circle small enough to fit into the pan you're using.
2. Boil in regular tap water for 15 minutes.
3. Carefully remove and dry with a clean towel (not paper towels).
4. Wrap in foil and perforate with a fork to let air circulate.
5. Preheat oven to lowest temperature possible.
6. Dry in oven for 15 mins.
7. Reinstall strings for that bright 'almost new' sound.

I would have thought drying in the oven would solve any rust issues, but I haven't tried it yet, tbh.

Edit: Spelling.[/quote]

I used to do that, but I can't for the life of me think why you'd bother with the foil.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='854887' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:24 PM']Boiling bass strings?

Thoughts people?

This is a new one on me; I've heard of people cleaning strings, or treating them, but not boiling them.[/quote]

Suggest you take them off your bass first, it takes ages to bring a bathtub full of water to the boil.

yep try'd & test well & truly..had to boil mine regular since i started out with cheap strings to start with. i like to use bicarbonate of soda in mine ,really makes em fizz & all the gunk that comes of sticks to the sides of the pan..then must be dryed in the oven

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='854936' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:48 PM']................and others have a long plastic tube 1.5" in diameter into which they put meths and the strings - leave a while, shaking occasionally. Works at least as well as boiling & you don't get any small rusty bits.......

:)

G.[/quote]

Beware... Don't leave them in meths much longer than overnight, 24hrs max. Meths absorbs moisture from the atmosphere & once it has your strings will go rusty.

I'm wondering if Turps will work. Anyone?

Bit skint at the mo, but when things are on an even keel, I'll investigate.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='855486' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:21 PM']Beware... Don't leave them in meths much longer than overnight, 24hrs max. Meths absorbs moisture from the atmosphere & once it has your strings will go rusty.

I'm wondering if Turps will work. Anyone?

Bit skint at the mo, but when things are on an even keel, I'll investigate.

Pete.[/quote]

True, but my tube is sealed both ends and is pretty full of meth (99%). I keep the strings together with a couple of elastic bands plus I put attach a small cork on a string to the nuts end so I can pull them out without emptying.

This works pretty well. I've only done a few sets (I've been keeping them) so I don't really know how long the meths will last, but with this amount (almost 2 pints) I think it'll be a while. I'll change it when it's either too dirty, seems to stop working or I begin to see rust spots.

I think petrol would work better than turps, but it's even more volatile than meths.

G.