Why become a member? ×

DR strings?

bubinga5

Ok im needing new strings and would like some input... I have had Elites, Rotos, La Bella's, XL,s, .. ive come to the conclusion that im a DR man..ive been using the Marcus Miller set...they just sound so good and last so long...very bright though..

Any other recommendations in the DR range that you have tried...that i should try..im torn between the smoothness of nickle and the snap of stainless...

Anyone tried Slinky's on a jazz bass

Edited by bubinga5

i've always liked the Hi-Beams - and have been through a few sets, all of which have been consistent. If you haven't seen this before, take a look (and listen to the sound clips):

[url="http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html"]http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html[/url]

Based that I have a new set of Sunbeams waiting to go on my MTD :)

Lo Riders all the way.

I am the man who likes to punch through walls, and these are the strings that do it the very best IMO. They have a gargantuan tonne of tone.

They sound absolutely superb slapped, tapped or fingerstyle, feel great and are not particularly high tension, for all that they are marginally higher tension than the exceedingly pliable HiBeams.

Love them to bits!

Of course you may not have the same taste as me :)

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='bubinga5' post='849640' date='May 27 2010, 06:08 PM']Ok im needing new strings and would like some input... I have had Elites, Rotos, La Bella's, XL,s, .. ive come to the conclusion that im a DR man..ive been using the Marcus Miller set...they just sound so good and last so long...very bright though..

Any other recommendations in the DR range that you have tried...that i should try..im torn between the smoothness of nickle and the snap of stainless...

Anyone tried Slinky's on a jazz bass[/quote]

was just thinking that if Molan didn't change the strings on that Sei Jazz after he bought it from me, it may well have been Hi-Beams on there when you got it.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='849880' date='May 27 2010, 10:22 PM']was just thinking that if Molan didn't change the strings on that Sei Jazz after he bought it from me, it may well have been Hi-Beams on there when you got it.[/quote]

Good shout - of course I have no idea if I changed them or not, lol.

In terms of DR's I must admit I quite like the Sunbeams but I used for a while but went back to Elixirs because I'm a wimp and they are softer on my fingers!

I have used DR Lo-Riders (130's) for the last 8 or so years, since Martin Peterson talked me into buying a set. Next week is my annual string change and I've got some Fat Beams going on.

There might be better strings out there but I'm very happy with the job DR strings do for me.

Used to be manic about Lo-riders but now I'd want a bit more tension.

I like the idea of Super steps on a 5 string but since I like a bright set of strings, I'll just change them when I need to.
I am using all sorts these days but only because I had a few sets suppiled with the bass, otherwise it would be DR all the way..unless these Super steps take a hold.

Gauge is the determining factor mostly for me and I have gone up from 40 to 45's these days..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='chris_b' post='849988' date='May 28 2010, 01:00 AM']There might be better strings out there but I'm very happy with the job DR strings do for me.[/quote]
People's taste may vary and, as such, they may not like the tone. Otherwise they are amongst the very best IMO

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='850081' date='May 28 2010, 09:29 AM']Quick question on DR strings generally:

I have a 35" scale (Cirrus BXP) for which the recommended string is the HiBeam, whch is the correct length - are all DR string types suitable for 35" scale?

Geoff[/quote]

As long as it's top-loaded rather than thru-body strung, they ought to be long enough. They easily make it across my thru-body strung jazz (34") with masses to spare. I'm sure I read somewhere that they do fit 35" scale instruments, too. Just don't take my word for it! Whose recommendation was it regarding the Cirrus BXP?

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='850081' date='May 28 2010, 09:29 AM']....I have a 35" scale (Cirrus BXP) for which the recommended string is the HiBeam, whch is the correct length - are all DR string types suitable for 35" scale?....[/quote]
I string DR Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams through the body on my 35" bass.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='854833' date='Jun 2 2010, 01:41 PM']People's taste may vary and, as such, they may not like the tone. Otherwise they are amongst the very best IMO

As long as it's top-loaded rather than thru-body strung, they ought to be long enough. They easily make it across my thru-body strung jazz (34") with masses to spare. I'm sure I read somewhere that they do fit 35" scale instruments, too. Just don't take my word for it! Whose recommendation was it regarding the Cirrus BXP?[/quote]

My understanding is that they are stock issue from new.

I've currently got Overwaters on thru-body. I've got HiBeams on a 34" and the E has the main winding touching the peg, so I reckon there's more than enough for 35" through body, but I was wondering if all types of DR strings were the same length. Seems so.

G.

I have been using Hi beams on my fretted 5 and really like them, but just ordered a set of Marcus Miller fatbeams to try them on my new jazz. It will be interesting to see if there is a noticable difference in the 2 sets of strings. I use Sunbeams on my fretless 6 and I'm very happy with them. I like the 125 B rather than the 130 B string. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='silddx' post='860967' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:35 PM']Tried the Hi-Beams but i don't like the feel and tension, and they seem to lack the bottom end of the Black Beauties which I'm going back to. Lovely strings.[/quote]

Silddx, I don't post here much but visit frequently and I seem to agree with you rather a lot.

Hence, since I value your opinion, I've just ordered a set of Black beauties for my SS II 5 string :)

Cheers.