Why become a member? ×

To the person that received my free set of La Bella flatwounds...

Grand Wazoo

[size=3][font="Book Antiqua"][b]I've sent a set of La Bella flatwounds to a member whom I forgot the name, they had been on and off the bass for one day as I didn't like flatwounds after all, so they were virtually new, I offered them in this forum for free to the first person that pm'd me and I did as promised, I've sent to Mr. anonimous the very next day, now more than 3 weeks ago. He must have got them by now but I never got so much of a thank you message neither in a pm or here. You know who you are. Next time I feel this generous I'll chuck them in the bin or give 'em to Oxfam.

Rant off.[/b][/font][/size]

Poor Form.
This is the kind of thing which makes you not want to bother.

I offered a lad on here some saddle grub screws for the price of postage and he sent me about 3 messages telling me how i'd saved his bacon, and his bass.
This makes you want to help people.

Some folks just don't realise.

On a related matter, I think (within reason) EVERY transaction on BC should result in Feedback - I get irked by having to send fishing PMs to people that I have dealt with to get them to post me feedback ("hope you like it/were happy etc, BTW have you left you positive feedback, smiley emoticon etc"). How else can you (a) show gratitude and (b ) engender trust in other BC'ers.

TBH it doesn't matter too much to me now, as I have accumulated (to my shame) lots of feedback, but if I was a newbie member it really would matter

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='813184' date='Apr 20 2010, 10:32 PM']On a related matter, I think (within reason) EVERY transaction on BC should result in Feedback - I get irked by having to send fishing PMs to people that I have dealt with to get them to post me feedback ("hope you like it/were happy etc, BTW have you left you positive feedback, smiley emoticon etc"). How else can you (a) show gratitude and (b ) engender trust in other BC'ers.

TBH it doesn't matter too much to me now, as I have accumulated (to my shame) lots of feedback, but if I was a newbie member it really would matter[/quote]

Well the feedback doesn't really matter to me, I have also recently sold a Mark Bass Little Mark II to another anonimous for a VERY decent price in this forum, we have a very smooth transaction we were both pleased with sale / purchase, he offered to leave me feedback but I said it didn't really matter to me as long as he was happy with his purchase and he truly was. This is not ebay after all so feedback to a degree is pointless but the courtesy we exchanged goes a long way in my book he paid immediately and I posted it first class the afternoon and he received it the very next day safely boxed in the orginal polystyrene filled box.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='813192' date='Apr 20 2010, 10:38 PM']This is not ebay after all so feedback to a degree is pointless[/quote]
I am perhaps overly anal on manners/courtesy etc but I disagree about the feedback - its the best way to engender trust within the BC community and may help you seal a deal you really want. Having good BC feedback matters to me

That is poor, I would hope they made a small donation to the site at least or is that wishful thinking?

I've said it before and I'll say it again but most transactions here go incredibly smoothly. I've had a couple not leave feedback but generally everyone has been fantastic. It's a big part of what makes the site so great

Of all the places you could deal with, this place scores highly, IMV.
If the member is a regular poster then his reputation on here is probably worth a lot to him
so deals go pretty smoothly.

Of course, things go wrong and you should be careful so maybe people should be compelled to leave feedback as a mark of confidence.

FWIW
I've bought 4 things on here, 3 private and one affiliate.

Jack London had some knobs he offered to me a wee while back (thanks Jack), it did save my bacon.
His attitude was, donate something to basschat and I'll stick them in the post to you.
The more I thought about it the more I think that that is a good idea. Not as some law but just as a custom.

Personally I think it is all the more important to show gratitude if it is a gift. 'Do as you would be done by' and all that.

I believe the feedback thing is great - one of the many HUGE plus points of Basschat is that it really is a community and I feel I can deal with pretty well anyone without feeling anxious about the outcome.

[quote name='Paul S' post='813619' date='Apr 21 2010, 11:48 AM']Personally I think it is all the more important to show gratitude if it is a gift. 'Do as you would be done by' and all that.

I believe the feedback thing is great - one of the many HUGE plus points of Basschat is that it really is a community and I feel I can deal with pretty well anyone without feeling anxious about the outcome.[/quote]

As above ^^

I'm still a newcomer here & agree with just about all the comments on this so far, it's just bad manners - I was dragged up proper like - politeness & manners cost nothing but speak a fortune about an individual's character IMHO.

I know I'm one of the *old's kool* (best pun on words I've seen for ages) but it's not an age thing although I have to admit the general lack of manners & common decency is perhaps a sign of the times.

The forum community spirit is great here, I've already benefited from the generosity of a few members & in return have happily sent small donations to help keep this place running - for every sale I've made + for every 'gift' received.

Feedback matters too, especially to encourage new members + just about everybody uses ebay these days & it has sort of become a way of at least making a superficial judgment on a complete stranger!

Cheers all,
John (Grumpy old gits rule OK)

Could it be a youngster who thinks the correct way to interact with people is how kids talk to each other & to adults on iCarly & Hannah Diahorrea?

Whenever I get totally sick of the crap the kids watch on TV & I take the fuse out for a few days ("sorry kids the TV doesn't seem to be working at the moment!" followed by all three of them checking cables for about half an hour), I notice not only that the youngest is happy to play with his lego for hours without getting bored, but also the older two may not actually remember to say "please" & "thank you", but if prompted don't roll their eyes and say it sarcastically.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='KiOgon' post='813640' date='Apr 21 2010, 12:09 PM']As above ^^

I'm still a newcomer here & agree with just about all the comments on this so far, it's just bad manners - I was dragged up proper like - politeness & manners cost nothing but speak a fortune about an individual's character IMHO.

I know I'm one of the *old's kool* (best pun on words I've seen for ages) but it's not an age thing although I have to admit the general lack of manners & common decency is perhaps a sign of the times.

The forum community spirit is great here, I've already benefited from the generosity of a few members & in return have happily sent small donations to help keep this place running - for every sale I've made + for every 'gift' received.

Feedback matters too, especially to encourage new members + just about everybody uses ebay these days & it has sort of become a way of at least making a superficial judgment on a complete stranger!

Cheers all,
John (Grumpy old gits rule OK)[/quote]

Feedback is excellent on this site. I really dislike Ebay...always have. I had a massive clearout about 5 years ago on ebay and sold a lot of fairly expensive clothing and shoes that were in really good condition, (£100 skateboarding shoes etc etc). I did make a nice sum of money, and I then had to resort to Ebay to sell my Peavey cabs a couple of years back (purely as I wasnt massively involved with Basschat).

If you are selling small low cost items for a little extra money to have a clear out, its a good idea, but I wouldnt buy/sell basses on their again unless I really had to. I just dont like paying Paypal/Ebay fees one bit.

I like it on here...nice trustworthy place and decent people all following the same goals...eg a great bass/amp/cab/effects/cables etc etc setup.

Gratitude goes a long way but I'm not bothered about the feedback thing.

I've recently done a couple of deals on here, no one's left feedback for me and I've not done for them (if they want me to, feel free to pm me) but I don't know anyone on here and I don't have any reason to believe that Y is more trustworthy because X says so when I don't know either of them in the slightest. Face to face deals is the only way I'd deal with people I don't know, preferably at the seller's house too so if there's a problem, the buyer has some kind of reassurance that the seller can't just disappear.

I was brought up to say please and thank you. As everyone says, it costs nothing. My reputation on here is very important to me and I've made some great friends.

Feedback is important imo, it does make me feel better. I still, despite being caught out once or twice believe in human nature.

Ive sold a few things on here and have only found out the buyer got them by asking, after a few days of waiting to her from them (no one in this thread by the way).
I dont think a couple of words, even just to say the goods have arrived, is too much to ask for.