Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I actually played this week again too!
4th gig in 6 years now (all of which were this year).
A very good friend of mine got married on Saturday and the (very good) band he booked for the reception let my old band do a few numbers with the groom joining us on fiddle.
Of course we were all a few sheets to the wind and had only one rushed rehearsal earlier in the week, but it was still fun and the punters seemed to enjoy it almost as much as the proper band.
I've a feeling the the band's drummer wasn't too impressed with my mate's less delicate touch on his beloved kit, but as a whole they were all great, tight, friendly and very generous to let us use their amps etc.
However my darling stingray 5-string's intermittent and untraceable fault resurfaced during the gig and cut out a few times whilst we were playing, i really should take it to the doctors now, and stop putting it off! - Any suggestions on where to take it in London?

Played at a school for my missus, played with 2 guys I'd never played with before they were pretty damn good.

Played 'Shall I Stay or Should I Go' and 'A Town Called Malice' they kids are so enthusiastic, the best response I have ever got, loads of kids come up at the end and said I was amazing, WINNER!!!!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='900395' date='Jul 20 2010, 07:34 PM']Yeah I love playing to younger crowds. The two bands on before us last week were all 16-19 year olds and their crowd were all packed up against the barriers for our set too.[/quote]

It's a great thing, these kids were between 5 and 10, a lot of them had never seen a band live before, hopefully we have given a few of them the bug.

[quote name='neilb' post='898184' date='Jul 18 2010, 05:02 PM']The blues rock band played the final evening at the Chelmsford Beer Festival on Saturday night. Played in a huge open sided marquee with a good 300-400 people inside, and a further 2000 odd outside. Great weather, great beer and a great experience. The Trace stack was yet again....unreal!![/quote]

So do all your band but you have instrument sponsors? Or does Fred Perry sponsor you? :)

[quote name='bluesparky' post='898410' date='Jul 18 2010, 09:51 PM']I actually played this week again too!
4th gig in 6 years now (all of which were this year).
A very good friend of mine got married on Saturday and the (very good) band he booked for the reception let my old band do a few numbers with the groom joining us on fiddle.
Of course we were all a few sheets to the wind and had only one rushed rehearsal earlier in the week, but it was still fun and the punters seemed to enjoy it almost as much as the proper band.
I've a feeling the the band's drummer wasn't too impressed with my mate's less delicate touch on his beloved kit, but as a whole they were all great, tight, friendly and very generous to let us use their amps etc.
However my darling stingray 5-string's intermittent and untraceable fault resurfaced during the gig and cut out a few times whilst we were playing, i really should take it to the doctors now, and stop putting it off! - Any suggestions on where to take it in London?[/quote]

Checked the battery clip? I know you're a sparks and all :) but they go a bit awol sometimes when they get old... if your battery is moving about it could disconnect momentarily.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='900395' date='Jul 20 2010, 07:34 PM']Yeah I love playing to younger crowds. The two bands on before us last week were all 16-19 year olds and their crowd were all packed up against the barriers for our set too.[/quote]

Fiendish. Our bassist is a 6th form teacher so we always get young mental crowds.

We played at his school last night to a load of 15-18 year olds in the school hall. The hall was a bit too big for 60ish kids, but it was a fun gig! The lighting guy was having some fun, but I must have sweated 2 litres - probably the hottest stage i've been on.

Played at the Playhouse 2 in Shaw near Oldham on Sat night - it's a nice, intimate 200 seater with a great atmosphere. Used my new rig for the first time and got some nice compliments from the band and from a few of the audience too.

Here's a few pics - one setting up and two mid gig taken by the theatre photographer...

Did a primary school gig last weekend too. First gig with our new singer. Went really well, the kids and mums loved it, the dads hung around the BBQ and tapped their feet. And I, despite approaching my 47th birthday, played Mustang Sally for the first time ever.

[quote name='OldGit' post='900473' date='Jul 20 2010, 08:59 PM']Checked the battery clip? I know you're a sparks and all :) but they go a bit awol sometimes when they get old... if your battery is moving about it could disconnect momentarily.[/quote]
Cool, will do.
It's only happened a handful of times so i've not gone too deep and gynecological about it yet, when it does stop and then kick in again there is a chunky tha-doomp, which would imply something along the lines of power issues.
Cheers,
(I'll shoot off now, before i acciddently hijack this thread...).

First gig with new band last night - a mix of rock & roll, country and blues. Typical Social Club crowd, smattering of applause every now and then, no-one taking any real interest, then when we finished everyone coming up and telling us how good it was and are we coming back! I've now played social clubs in London, Suffolk and Sussex - are they the same the world over? :)

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='904601' date='Jul 25 2010, 11:06 AM']First gig with new band last night - a mix of rock & roll, country and blues. Typical Social Club crowd, smattering of applause every now and then, no-one taking any real interest, then when we finished everyone coming up and telling us how good it was and are we coming back! I've now played social clubs in London, Suffolk and Sussex - are they the same the world over? :)[/quote]

Yup

Type 3 Audience:
Arms crossed, looking angry, sat in the same seat every Saturday night for 10 years
"Go on then, fookin' [i]entertain[/i] me. We 'ad that Abba Gold here last week. [i]They[/i] were good"

[quote name='bluesparky' post='903844' date='Jul 24 2010, 10:54 AM']Cool, will do.
It's only happened a handful of times so i've not gone too deep and gynecological about it yet, when it does stop and then kick in again there is a chunky tha-doomp, which would imply something along the lines of power issues.
Cheers,
(I'll shoot off now, before i acciddently hijack this thread...).[/quote]
Battery clip definitely your first port of call. They are the Achilles' heel for every active bass. If it turns out to be innocent, get thee to the Gallery in Camden.

[quote name='OldGit' post='904632' date='Jul 25 2010, 11:40 AM']Yup

Type 3 Audience:
Arms crossed, looking angry, sat in the same seat every Saturday night for 10 years
"Go on then, fookin' [i]entertain[/i] me. We 'ad that Abba Gold here last week. [i]They[/i] were good"[/quote]

At least there was no bingo at this one!

Great fun at the Half Moon last night. Red the sound man was terrific as usual*. Lots of fun. Crowd was just enough to get the atmosphere going. Lots of whoops and whistles and we played with vim and vigour. This is a hard Saturday to raise a crowd. Over half our normal lot were on holiday. We got a few others who don't normally come by just asking everyone we knew. The bloke who sanded my floorboards last week was even pressured into coming.
The two mysterious rock chick ladies who we don't know and have been to most of our gigs turned up again. For the first time they took lots of photos....
Of the singer/guitarist. Crushed I am :)

*The Orange Terror was a bit hard to tame there. The DI was very hot and I had the volume right down, and I mean right down compared to most gigs. Those TC Electronics cabs really push out a lot of volume. In the end I went sansamp BDDI through the PA and Terror as stage monitor. Sounded just how I like it though so I'm not complaining. Think I'll get an attenuator thingy for the next one to save time.

Played Portishead Working Mens Club :rolleyes: last night with a 60's Beat music/Motown covers band I joined a week ago.
sh*t hot jazz drummer held it down well, grooved everything along - joy to play with. Good gig, nice appreciative audience - enjoyed it. :)

Edited by nick

Did the Farriers Arms Beer and music Festival at Mersham.

A few power supply problems early on until we got to grips with that and then we did really well.
would prefer PA suport but this was their first (very good ) effort so that is a lesson learned for them.

Got to say, we nailed the gig and our sound can cope with tented gigs anyway.

Next up will be the Faversham Hop festival which should be a great day out

[quote name='bluesparky' post='903844' date='Jul 24 2010, 10:54 AM']It's only happened a handful of times so i've not gone too deep and gynecological about it yet, when it does stop and then kick in again there is a chunky tha-doomp, which would imply something along the lines of power issues.[/quote]
If it's got a barrel jack socket, it could be that too - I currently have slightly dodgy sockets on one Warwick, the Mazeti, and the Jack, all of which need replacing sometime fairly soon.

Played at the Kasbah in Coventry with Different Glory, the originals band, last night. 25 minute set, first band on a three-band set with Idle Playthings and The Arcadian Kicks. Borrowed Idle Plaything's bassist's Orange mini-rig (Orange Terror?) - saved me bringing my kit in too and it was only for on-stage monitoring. Good sound engineer, good sound both on stage and FOH. All went well, the people who've seen us before reckoned it was the best we've played. I enjoyed the other two bands too, quite a varied selection of music.

We played Bristol on Thursday where we gave a passionate performance but I'd had too much Guinness - my night was made by 2 of the singer's friends calling me "the cool one in the band". I haven't had that for a few years so a nice ego stroke. Last night was Maidenhead where we gave a solid (but hungover) performance. A great 48hrs!

The Fountain in Chichester..........................damn I love that place it's always (there I've jinxed it now) a great night. Crowd up for it & singing along.

The fretless was sounding gorgeous again tonight, and I even managed to get through White Punks as the last song in the first set on it :) No time to change.

Some barking mad female punters, frankly scary, but they were getting into it so really who cares. Plenty of totty about, and quite a lot of people down from Goodwood who had been tucking into the alc all day but all friendly enough. Had one guy in the first set staggering up to Steve 1the vocalist who made some jokey comment about not really wanting to be so close as to share DNA and he was off out the door - I thought it might have been Steve's comment, but apparently someone else in the crowd tapped him on the shoulder and asked him to get out of the way

Checked levels with the drummer after the first couple & he asked me to back it off a bit, but a little later asked me to turn back up...RESULT!

I so wish every gig was like last night. Back to the Red Lion Stubbington after a long lay off next Friday and I fear it will be average. Hey ho.

Played at The Grapes in Bury St Edmunds last night.

Brilliant night as usual, except 3/4 of the way through the second set, when a friend of the band came up and i had some of her WKD. Thegirl that had been dancing in front of me and flirting lots barged into said friend of the band and told her she was my girlfriend(!!!), and a mini shoving fight ensued. The end result was a pint of beer spilt over my pedals and the area I was standing in.

The bar staff then chucked a single dish cloth over. Great!

Other than that though, it was a great night!