Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Did an early set at the local hop festival which was rammed. They had 3 stages about town and I was trying to get around to see my mates bands on the other stages..fat chance..!!

We did an early set on the Brewery stage as we were asked to do a later date at one of the pubs ...which then double booked..so we could have had a later slot which might have been a better idea if you are only doing the one set. Having said that... things can get messy and fraught later in the day with overuns and stuff, so it is as broad as it is long. We had a very good crowd...and we played well. Not sure about FOH though... so will be interested in those reports.

Another observation, no one wants loads of backline swap-outs but by the time you have messed around with the stage amp, you could have your own rig set up and everyone would be happier.

I used a GK combo rig which put outs a decent amount of bass...but reminded me a lot of old PV combos with the EQ shelving. I ran it as flat as I could work out within the time frame.

Still, these things are what they are..

Edited by JTUK

Everyone knows that Canteloupe Island is on my 'won't play' list. Well, I got conned into doing it last night when it was called from the stage (it was not on the set list). And, I have to say, despite my hostility towards the tune, objectively speaking, it was utter sh*te......

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='945958' date='Sep 5 2010, 10:09 AM']The very same dad rock fest I played.[/quote]

yeah..?? which stage?
I was on the Brewery, got as far as the Spitfire and couldn't get down to the Railway, I think it was called.
There seemed to be a few blues/soul outfits about.

Next year, I think we will think about the Sunday. Good day out though but as with all things, weather dependant.
The Anchor double booked us, so that was a no show and it was a bit of a bummer because we chose the early start on the Brewery to accomodate them and turned down another slot ..so not so chuffed.

How was the stage sound and general sound of the bands, do you think?

Edited by JTUK

We played at 'Teenage Rampage' on thursday at the Gloucester Guildhall. It was our first gig there and it is by far and away the best venue in Gloucestershire. It was a 10 band battle of the bands and we played our socks off, full of energy and everything went right. We came second to a band called 'The Crowd' but we were given the same prize as them - a chance to play at 'Brisfest'. We were told afterwards by the judge and brisfest rep that we were 'an incredible live outfit' and that we came second because of 'the bureaucracy he has to fulfill'. Our singer is 19 and you're all supposed to be under 18 and for a bunch of 16 year olds the crowd were exceptional - still hurt!

Edited by parker_muse

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='945993' date='Sep 5 2010, 11:18 AM']The Albion stage, always play always go down like a sh*t in a lift, but it is an easy walk from my house.[/quote]

Down by the River..?
I thought they were going to have regular music on after the new owners took over as well....?
When is the boat race..?

I never got any further than the pub down the hill by the Brewery yard..can't recall what the pub is called.
I like gigs in Faversham and Whitstable for some reason..

Played a gig this afternoon, at The Pitz, in The Woughten Centre, Milton Keynes. Great event, was in aid of a departed local musician, 6 bands, all giving their time to this cause, good crowd, had a great time, not only playing, but watching the other bands. On a personal note, we played well, and the crowd seemed to really enjoy it. There was a provided backline - on the bass front, was an Aguilar setup (head, 2x10, 1x15) which I didn`t like, too hi-fi for me, but for a 45min set it did the job, and the sound guys had it sounding great front of house, which is the main thing - great pa, and good lighting, only down side was I`m sure my last cheeseburger was raw.

New venue tonight and they aren't sure what time they want to start on a sunday.
Started early and everyone was spread out in the garden etc..so it looked liked the place was empty.

Funny how that sort of thing relaxes you to the point where you find the sweat spot and then we hit 6th gear ..IMHO..
for the second half when everyone came in from the cold.

Really enjoyed it, took chances, they came off. NICE gig.

Not last night , but the night before (Saturday) .

15th Soggy Moggy Bike rally at Woodgreen Animal Shelter , Godmanchester .

Last band on , headline on the last night .

Enjoyed the Feelgood tribute act before us . Then a " Mr and Mrs " rally competion . Which consisted of a handful of naked men on stage , hulla hooping . Then they asked for women , only 2 came forward though , which is 2 more than I though would do it . All in all , something a bit different you could say .

Big PA , 5 way monitor mix - really nice . 1000 punters , constant ale (though I was driving as usual) .
But a late one . Not on until just gone 10pm , and somehow managed , without a piss break , to play straight through until 12:45am .

Corker of a gig , probably a bit further than we normally go , but well worth it . Hit the sack at 4am - feel it more now than I used to :)

Actress and Bishop, Birmingham on Saturday 11th - soundchecked at 6.30 not on till 11.00 - moody sound man, 20 miles to nip back home, but gear all at venue so sat around in bowels of the pub, people spotted, felt ill...not great prep.

BUT, great gig - crowd grew throughout and we played our best for some time..

Often wish could be like a tennis player and prepare the same methodical way for every gig, but there is no magic formula!!

[attachment=58667:58956_48...519915_n.jpg]

Band I play in (KING FOR A DAY, formerly full bottle) played Saturday night at a local bar. Not many in, but got some great feedback from those that were there. We all enjoyed the gig anyway!
Here is a link to a clip from the gig -

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tGXRljdP1E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tGXRljdP1E[/url]

Did a 21st birthday bash on sat in Norfolk.
We were dreading this originally the client had set a un realistic max budget for a 2am finish. We managed to get them to raise it but we still had cut our price by around £160. When we arrived at took one look at the house and estate we felt we should have stood our ground.
It was a huge farm and a huge marquee. Around 150-180 people all in.

Gig started very quiet but as soon as a couple of young ladies got up to flirt with us the evening kicked off properly.
We played well, and i used my BDI21 on for the whole night, first time for that. My tone was one of the best ive ever had, and considering it was a marquee i was very happy.

The host (who's birthday was also that night) managed to hack me off at the start of the evening as, without asking, he took our singers mic off its stand and tried to take it across the room to do a speech. He had turned down the PA to cut the music and was then banging the mic because he thought it wasn't working. All he could hear was the fold back at the other end of the room.

But the audience was another matter. Way too many drunk ex public school knobs there spraying the dance floor with champagne and beer, turning our PA cabs around and generally being, well, knobs. And my drummer pointed out that they all looked and dressed like Jeremy Clarkson.
At one point there were 4 of them around each mic and we had to turn off all but the lead singers. Normally we dont mind if the odd one or two want to get up and use the backing mics but these twats were fighting each other for the mics.
They were in good spirit though, no real fighting as such and were very appreciative. Oh, the bar was free and ended up as a help yourself so some of them were just getting pints of larger to tip over themselves. The mind boggles

But, and this is the good bit, for about 10mins there seemed to be a craze of girls pulling other girls tops down. Out of about 7-8 at least two were wearing bra's :) . what can i say. More mistakes were made in those 10mins than in all the other gigs we have played this year.
Then later, due to the dance floor being soaked the same drunk girls were falling all over the place, and each other. Wet dresses all round.

So not a bad gig, just a bit manic.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='954458' date='Sep 13 2010, 10:29 AM']They sound like a right bunch of yahoo twats.

Still I bet you got plenty from your BDI (beady eye) :)[/quote]

Yeah, they were. Im really surprised there wasn't any trouble but they were all too drunk to do any thing by the end of the night.

Nothing beady about my eyes, they were both sitting proud and wide open. The girls knew we were looking as they we doing it for us.

God, i love being in a band ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='954469' date='Sep 13 2010, 10:36 AM']Yeah, they were. Im really surprised there wasn't any trouble but they were all too drunk to do any thing by the end of the night.

Nothing beady about my eyes, they were both sitting proud and wide open. [b]The girls knew we were looking as they we doing it for us.

God, i love being in a band ;-)[/b][/quote]

Last night's pub gig was a bit weird as a lot of local muso's turned up so you tend to feel a bit of peer pressure. As it happened I was so exhausted from a late Sat night out that I was too knackered to feel much of anything at all. Still folks came up to us at the end of the gig to say how much they enjoyed it.
Then the obligatory whinge from band leader that I should 'smile a lot and move around on stage'. This is a middle aged blues rock band playing pubs where my available space 'on stage' typically runs to about 3 square feet. If he wants a combination of grinning fool and performing monkey he can put an advert in 'circus weekly' or something ffs. Counting the days before I'm sacked at this rate.
One very experienced local bass player was in to see us and at half time told me he liked the way I commanded my part of the stage and looked like I was supposed to be in a band whereas the other 3 looked like they'd wandered in off the street. Naturally I passed this on to our glorious band leader :)

Well, it was Saturday night, but close enough. We (The Tell) played the Miller of Mansfield near London Bridge, and were the last on of four bands. The first one was a group of kids just starting out - not great, but everyone has to start somewhere, and credit to them for getting out there. The middle two, Dollie Pronto and Psalms, were on tour together. They were both pretty good - [b]Psalms[/b] (from Bath), in particular, were brilliant and I was sorry that we were going to have to play after them rather than before (especially as we had been a bit pants at the soundcheck). I spose that's because the two touring bands were unlikely to bring any punters, so the promoter put us on last to make sure that at least our "fans" would be there for the other bands' sets.

In the end we played to about 20 people (I think - but I couldn't see anyone at all when we were on stage because of the lights and dry ice) - we brought about 8, then there were the members of Psalms and Dollie Pronto, the guys from the venue and the promoter. Everyone was really supportive and we ended up playing more songs than we expected to, and were well received.

Big thanks to the members of Psalms & Dollie Pronto for sticking around to see our set, and for being really friendly and helpful (letting our drummer borrow cymbal stands cos the supplied one was broken). If you get a chance to see these guys, or share a stage with them, go for it.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/psalmsbath"]http://www.myspace.com/psalmsbath[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/dolliepronto"]http://www.myspace.com/dolliepronto[/url]

Last nights gig was great - we played a charity fundraiser, in a marquee, in a friends back garden. None of us had ever been to the house before, so didn`t know what to expect, however we were pretty certain at some point the police might be called (playing Anarchy In The UK & So What at 11pm in someones garden - resonable assumption?). Well the house and garden were massive, marquee was in fact 5 marquees linked together, no probs with neighbours at all. Great crowd, great gig, thoroughly glad we did it.

Friday night at the Maze with Dick Venom and the Terrortones. Played pretty well, although it wasn't quite as tight as some of the recent gigs. The foldback seemed to be all but none-existent, which meant that the newer songs were a little bit ragged in places as we're still looking for cues from each other. The audience was a bit down in numbers which was a little disappointing. We really need to get some supports in with some more popular bands, but we've already discovered that having an exciting on-stage presence can work against you!

A short break now for a couple of weeks while we tighten up the set, finish off a couple of new songs and try and get the graphics sorted for the forthcoming single release before a fairly hectic gigging schedule in October.