Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Dep for a 'pig roast' in Colerne village, somewhere in the wilds of Wiltshire, last night. Thankfully wasn't what I imagined it to be, after seeing 'Deliverance' :lol:
Open air on the back of a lorry - was a bit cold & not easy humping a Trace rig up onto it - lightweight rigs are seeming more attractive these days.

Band played a mix of R&B,ska & rock'n'roll... finale was a 15 minute version of 'Born to be Wild' with a slap solo! :)

According to the organisers there 300 people were there, but didn't look like it me. Good gig though & I enjoyed it. :rolleyes:

Edited by nick

Played a pub near Richmond (Surrey). Two 45-minute sets, timed to finish at 11:00 as agreed.

We were running a tad late and by 11:10 we were only just finishing our second set, no encores played, so we called to the bar "Have we time for one more?".

The landlady (a Filipino) pointed at the pub clock and shouted "12 o'clock, you play until 12 o'clock!".

Oops.

We had a fabulous time. Script out of the window, just wing it, play a bunch of songs we haven't rehearsed in weeks (months in some cases) and it went brilliantly. The whole pub was rocking and we were falling about laughing on stage but still playing well.

Great gig.

Oh dear..............

We have a couple of self imposed rules. We always turn down invitations to play at weddings and birthdays (because the inviter may well love us but his granny and 6 year old nephew are unlikely to) - and we never play in working men's clubs. Rules , though , being for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men - we broke both last night to play for a guy who's been a good friend of the band at his wedding ann.

Disaster. The so called 'private room' was open to the regulars , who insisted in bingo etc. We had a warm up acoustic solo act who was told to turn down so we had no chance - and were summarily paid off in the middle of our set because of the (very modest) volume. First time ever. We're going to include it in/on our advertising - ' Dr Blue - as paid off at Westgate Common WMC' !!!

Played an acoustic gig (so upright bass) in Reading last night. Usual rock venue so the soundman initially struggled with the less conventional instruments & the onstage sound was at best shocking BUT we went for it & watching friends videos after we were surprisingly good.

Played at The Mad Hatter in Surbiton last night (new venue for us).

From the outside it looked like a typical "Builders on Coke" pub and some of the clientele only added to this impression.

However, after sorting out the sound during the first few numbers we eneded up playing for over 3 hours in total and the crowd wanted more and more.

Great gig resulting in a fistful of re-bookings for the rest of the year and 1 private 50th birthday party.

Got home past 2am and had the usual ringing ears and adrenaline-filled "can't sleep" night :)

Duke of Cumberland, Whitstable with the Blues Bandits.
I like these type of gigs as you never know who will be on them and the band leader gets in some really nice mixes of players.
we go through a pretty standard repetoire - depending who is singing and who knows what -..and jam the hell out of them.

Sometimes we can really get hold of the song and take it somewhere and it always goes down well.
Nice appreciative audience as well.

Sh*te place to park, tho.

Played at the ACE Centre in Nelson last night - only about half full but I guess that's a sign of the times. First set was spoilt by the midi controller on the keyboards playing up. Fortunately the really excellent soundman Steve is a keyboard player with a band called Legend and he managed to fix it at half time. Second set was absolutely stonking and we and the audience had a great time.

Friday night at The Central in Nottingham for the Hellfire Harlots Roller Derby team party. Went really well. Mr Venom remembered that "VampireMan" - our forthcoming single - actually has a second verse with words and both the new songs were well received by the audience.

And many thanks to the headlining band (who's name I can't remember) who not only stepped in as last-minute replacements for The Eviltones, but their bass player also leant me his amp after mine died some time between the soundcheck and the actual gig.

Next gig's in a week's time. I can't wait!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='925422' date='Aug 15 2010, 10:54 AM']Friday night at The Central in Nottingham for the Hellfire Harlots Roller Derby team party. Went really well. Mr Venom remembered that "VampireMan" - our forthcoming single - actually has a second verse with words and both the new songs were well received by the audience.

And many thanks to the headlining band (who's name I can't remember) who not only stepped in as last-minute replacements for The Eviltones, but their bass player also leant me his amp after mine died some time between the soundcheck and the actual gig.

Next gig's in a week's time. I can't wait![/quote]

Good luck getting that amp sorted in one week

T

Had the top off yesterday and the main fuse on the PSU/Power Amp board has blown. Provided that it isn't a symptom of a larger issue then I'll be up and running again tomorrow once I've got a replacement. Otherwise I'll have to sweet talk my friend who works for Korg into loaning me a Hartke...

• 2 weeks later...

Good fun. We played two sets at a small local festival, one our usual electric set on an outdoor stage with a lot of skanking kids getting into it, then later we did an unplugged set with me on DB in a little 'big-top' style tent to a crowd of I think mostly parents with their kids. Both sets went down really well, punters were very enthusiastic, great audiences, good times. :)

Saturday I had a stand in for a band whose guitarist I played with in a club band 25 years back. Had one run through with him a week ago - tops & tails of songs - nothing too difficult, other than the songs my lot do, but in different arrangements & keys.

Gig on Saturday & I had rang a couple of times to try to sort out times & venue, but not got anywhere. So Saturday morning I get up, go for a hair cut then Tescos for a laptop bag, fill up with diesel, through the car wash, down to the gm for a session and off to a tile shop to pick up the ties for the bathroom - all the time having forgotten to take the mobile with me. So I get home around 2:45 to a slew of more panicy voice messages saying "you realise th gig is in the afternoon don't you" - Thanks for the heads up thinks I. So I finally get the address, empty the tiles, load the gear and am back out of the house for an hour plus journey by 3:15 for a gig that they say will start at around 4:30. Pick up what appears to be a pished driver on a cross country road with few passing places (doing less than 25 mph & veering away from road signs). Got past him then picked up two tractors towing enormous loads of hay. my mood is going from bad to worse. Still I eventually arrive around 4:15 & get set up and we start at ....................6:15

Anyway, all in all went OK. Watched the second guitarist & drummer & got through with no major problems. Finished around 9:30 & home by 11:30.

Did my first gig with my own band 'Whither Then'? at The Fox Inn in Eastgate St. in Bury St Edmunds last Sunday. Quartet with a singing pianist, sax, bass and drums playing a fusion of jazz and 'Blue Note' funk. Monster players all 'round and an astonishing evenings jazz. One of the best jazz gigs I have ever done and certainly one of the best in a long while. Probably the best drummer I have ever played with (having never met him before, I find out he lives less than half a mile away from me), the best pianist I ever played with (Chris Ingham) and one of the strongest saxophone players I have ever played behind (Hertfordshire's Colin Watling). I guess that's what happens when you get to call the gig: you get the best players. Monster gig, real treat - did one set on double bass and got all blistered up so reverted to electric for the remainder of the evening (two more sets).

Feel invigorated by it.

After an astonshingly awful (but very short) 'rehearsal' (I use the term loosely) last Thursday my latest employers finally got back to gigging after a 6 week hiatus last Sat, standard pub gig. Amazingly we probably put in one of our best performances since I've been with the band. Shame there weren't more folks around but with it being bank holiday I think a lot of people were away for the weekend. Still, them that were there seemed to enjoy it. Then I did a whole afternoon's filling in at a jam session the next day. More gigs in the coming month so we will hopefully get some fresh material worked up in sound checks. Or I'll get sacked, I can never quite tell with my current lot!

only 60 models, pah I had at least double that tonight - Airfix something or other

Last night it was Baldy Jim's retirement doo in Glasgow. Jim is the singer in my pub band and he retired last week after 40 years service doing something on the railways involving trains funnily enough.

It was downstairs in Waxy O'connors - 40 minute set so Jim could have a retirement party with a difference instead of having a bunch of boring old C U Next TuesdayS talking about work and other assorted pish.

Really good night.

Tonight was a wedding where the bride and groom had got married abroad so everyone turned up to the reception sober meaning that it took most of the first half to get the audience on the dance floor.

The Thunderbird is a dirty dirty bass. It can do Jazz bass burp and fart but also heavy overdriven preamp, clanky, rattly harmonicy - well you get the idea.

If you ever get a thunderbird - fire on a set of Hartke strings and drop the action as low as it will go.