Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='The_D' post='603497' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:25 PM']Where about in Fife? You prob stole half our usual twats from Pubes :)[/quote]

We played at a farm a few miles from Kelty.

How did the Stagger Inn go? I've never been before & haven't found anyone that I know here who has been.

Played at my mates wedding celebration in Cambridge yesterday - pretty awesome. Nervous as well, not been playing for a few weeks tbh, and only got the set list Wednesday, so a few days of intense practice, and.....it went fine!

Glad I could relax later, reception was great, and bride and groom were very happy - job done :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='603723' date='Sep 20 2009, 05:31 PM']We played at a farm a few miles from Kelty.

How did the Stagger Inn go? I've never been before & haven't found anyone that I know here who has been.[/quote]

Playing next week. Should be good and it will be nice to get out of Fife for a gig :)

Band mates, don't ya just love em, played at a small pub in a room the size of an average living room. me and the singer asked could we keep it down. so we did a sound check which was ok. before went on we again said lets not let the volume creep up. Guitarist- o'k but i have volume pedal. :) Singer- if i see you going for it i'll kick you in the back of the leg. so, when we started up. WTF!. one Pa speaker was inline with my and i was blasting. i spent the whole of the first half trying to catch the guitarist's attention cos he has the desk by his side. no luck. at the break i let him know what i think. there's not a lot i can do about the speaker, there;s no other place to put it. which was fair enough but how about turning it down. i'm sure everything's been turned up. me, i cant reach my amp from where i am so its been on three all night, (its a TE 300WATT) second half wasn't so bad but it did creep up again,after the second from last number which was a town called Malice the singer complained she couldn't hear the vocals so the guitarist turns it up. its so loud its distorting and i can't understand a word she's singing. after the gig there was a bit of complaining but i have a feeling it's all been left for practice Tuesday. incidentally, our guitarist has Two 100watt combo's linked together along with two Boss pedals one of which he has linked up to the PA. overkill if you ask me.

Wedding: Youngsters, many out of their heads before we get in(V late) to set up .. hum

However it's in a big venue in Bristol, 300 capacity normally, so that's niece

About 20 emails beforehand to various tech types about PA and lights. Sorry no proper PA and no PA person However there is a PA power amp and speakers but no pre's or board. Fair enough, we'll bring our full 400 watt PA(!) and they can take a lead out of the mains line out for added oomph.

get here and there's a full PA, board and bloke .. however we are on a very fast setup, especially as it's all running way late by now ... why do they not listen to our advise about timing things?

Anyway we setup our PA as arranged a he added some oomph ... about 15 KW or it .. :)
He also miced the drums - we have a bass drum mic that feeds into our FoH but he mic'ed it again and put a snare and overhead up .. It worked well.

It wasn't that loud but, oh boy .. what a sound :rolleyes:
Big Bad Bass Bins under the stage :lol: A treat for ears and feet :lol:

My bass sounded so good that even the melodeon player noticed. It was so easy to play because I cou hear myself really well but I only had to stroke the strings to make this great noise ..
I finally found the environment where all that stuff in my sig comes together and really sings ..

Shame we don't play stages like that more than once every few years :lol:

Two gigs and two quite different sets.

Both OK.

Saturday we had a bad feeling as there had been much sucking of teeth when the venue was mentioned, a new place #2 guitarist had played with his duo years back and had a bit of a rep.

Got there and waited 20 mins for the footie to end then started loading in. A group of punters on a table in the alcove the kit & I were in who decided it would be helpful not to move straight away when the gear started coming in and then sat for a while with stuff going up around them to be bloody minded - oh joy.

Looked like it was going to be hard work with the crowd generally, and #1 guitarist forgot the light boxes so we were under normal lights - not good for a bunch of old farts - but actually it went quite well all in all.

Didn't bother asking about any more though until I have had a chance to get feedback from the others as there was much muttering on the way in abo9ut checking new places out etc etc - fair enough but some of them can be such fussy b@sr@rds we'd never get [i][u]any[/u][/i] new gigs :)

Still next week there's two more and the Saturday is normally a hot, sweaty and good affair so here's hoping!!!

Just got home from playing the London Tatoo Convention at Tobacco Dock.

Dream gig. Secure parking opposite the load-in entrance, so hear stright through a nice big set of doors and into set up area opposite the live room. Stage sponsored by Marshal, so 2 stacks and a VBA bass rig provided. Nice and simple. Great soundman and lighting guy and really good organisation. Then again, the guys in charge of the live music for the event normally do festivals like Download, so this was a doodle for them.

10 minute line check then 30 minutes set. I honestly couldn;t tell how many were watching us as the light were so bright, but we played a blinder of a set and got lots of compliments afterwards.

I then spent the next hour getting nice and merry in the bar before wandering around the convention looking at the some of body art on show. Some of the women were absolutely stunning! Then toddled odd to Tower Hill district line to get the train home.

Happy Days

Played The Sands in Gainsborough on Saturday with our old drummer as current drummer couldn't make it (it was a fairly short notice gig). Really smart venue, staffed by really nice people who actually genuinely seemed to want to make sure we were looked after. Even better, despite it being an 'all tables' affair, the audience were great, with quite a few up dancing in available floorspace towards the end. 'Old' drummer played as if he was still in the band and we left with a good feeling about everything. That's four in a row where I've just had a fantastic time, which makes it all worthwhile. :)

Supported Swedish band Jeniferever (on the same label as us) not last night but the other day. First time i've commented in this thread, its been that long since my last gig.

It was good, i enjoyed listened and speaking to them though, as much as playing. They have an enviable bass set-up. Two bass players! That meant two P-Basses. One ran an Ampeg SVT-350H and 4x10 the other a Fender Bassman 135 W/2x15.

Anyway, gig went smoothly - i've been in the band about a week and learned up the 5 songs perfectly making no mistakes live... except my watch hitting the G-string unwanted. They're such a good crowd to play with, i'm chuffed and hope it lasts! :)

Edited by TheButler

Absolute cracker at the Cross Keys in Morley last night with Empress which was one of three bands I was playing in but now seems to have taken over all my time. We only formed a few months ago but we are getting rave reviews and branching out in to functions as well.

Playing again tonight at the Woolpack in Almondbury at 4.30 so looking forward to doing it all again :)

Note to self.....must change my avatar

Not so much last night as yesterday afternoon. Played on the back of truck at a biker's show. We got a great sound and played well (not many mistakes and only tiny ones at that). Despite the crowd seeming luke warm to us, we got really good feedback and to be fair they were there to see the bikes which were spectactular. Only downer was that it was in a dusty car park on a windy day and I had to strip and vacuum out my entire kit when I got home.

Played a private function in Ware last night.

I really didn't feel upto it after a rough week health wise. Got through it fairly well, a couple of minor mistakes, but given the level of sweating, coughing, shaking and sneezing going on, not bad. I still made less mistakes than some of the guitards, although I did have one of those hideous "I can't remember how to get from verse to chorus moments on Hotel California".

A couple of weeks off now and then a depp with Mice with Glasses at the end of the month.

Played with Sonic Boom Six and The Skints at the Tunbridge Wells Forum.

The best gig I have done for years, we were playing to about 150 people including BC's (Clauster and Warpig) and it was really good of them to come.

I think we played really well people were dancing and we got a really good vibe just f***ing awesome. The promoter has booked us to play with Mouthwash in Dec so good times.

Couple of pics, spot the Basschatter in the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

We played at a wedding in a converted barn and were warned no smoke but the singer decided he knew best as it was haze not smoke.... half way through the second set the power goes off, fire alarm sounds and we all get evacuated. A few minutes later the fire brigade turn up and we get a bollocking from the venue owner. Luckily for us the couple saw the funny side of it !

Besides the slight interuption to the second set it was a very enjoyable gig, the crowd were up for it and the happy couple were just that... very happy !

Bit of a soul destroying one at a south London pub last night. Big pub, half empty - no atmos. Even The Beatles would have struggled. Wondered half-way through if it had been worth putting the stuff in the car!

On the upside, had a great sound (G&L and Hartke amp working really well together), we played well (did some great locking in the with the drummer) and we got compliments afterwards including from another bassist. :)

But last time for that venue, me thinks....

• 2 weeks later...

We played a pub called The Solstice, we don't usually play pubs, was quite weird as a venue, but was cool enough, and mainly the same people there as normal (but less of them!)

I like this photo, even though it's not great, as it's a bit of an action shot! We should get good photos from this sometime though, as it was for a magazine.

Jam session.
Noodling along for my couple of dad rock specials then a guy came up to sing.
He was a sikh complete with turban and said he didn't sing in English but to just follow him.
30 seconds of bolywood style Bagra vocals later me and the drummer joined in. Staying on A ..
I just thought "what would Wobble do?" and did that. :)

We stoked up a really cool grove and it turned out to be the best 10 minutes of the evening ..