Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

12 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I'm going to miss the mini histories of the places you play. I love reading them. I used to play miner's halls and various iterations of working men's clubs in the Welsh Valleys and I loved the old architecture and fixtures/fittings inside. They told a story and I could imagine the places as they used to be in the heyday of the mining industry in those parts.

Thanks. I’ve often considered myself fortunate to be able to play in some amazing buildings over the last few years,

and their history always fascinates me. Theatres have been my main places of work, and although new ones

are often impressive it’s the older ones that are the most interesting. Since handing in my notice with the band

last year, I’ve played at many of my ‘old favourites’ whilst thinking I won’t be returning to them. 😕

Still, all good things etc…..

Edited by casapete
  • Like 10

Very brief... first gig for Bendricks Rock.  Incredible,  best audience reception I've seen in a venue thst I've been going to slmost weekly for the ladt two years. The classic rock and indie rock mix went down really well  with loafs of dancing. Yes loads of first gig flubs, but the audience either didn't notice or didn't care. Really buzzing.  Photos to follow!

P.s. one guitarist locked himself out of his car,  so he's downstairs waiting on the rac 🤣

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

FREEZING night in Wrexham, taking part in the Metal For The Masses competition…. lots of fun though, and delighted to be through to the semi final.  

The Greco Thunderbird was awesome, and the TC head into an Ashdown 8x10 sounded great.

I’m literally just about warming up now! It was COLD!! 🥶

IMG_7069.jpeg.5b7e2c2098d4511868fe82c32e01d5f3.jpeg

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 18

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Very brief... first gig for Bendricks Rock.  Incredible,  best audience reception I've seen in a venue thst I've been going to slmost weekly for the ladt two years. The classic rock and indie rock mix went down really well  with loafs of dancing. Yes loads of first gig flubs, but the audience either didn't notice or didn't care. Really buzzing.  Photos to follow!

P.s. one guitarist locked himself out of his car,  so he's downstairs waiting on the rac 🤣

That's great. Nothing to beat the feeling that all the hard work in rehearsals paid off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

FREEZING night in Wrexham, taking part in the Metal For The Masses competition…. lots of fun though, and delighted to be through to the semi final.  

The Greco Thunderbird was awesome, and the TC head into an Ashdown 8x10 sounded great.

I’m literally just about warning up now! It was COLD!! 🥶

IMG_7069.jpeg.5b7e2c2098d4511868fe82c32e01d5f3.jpeg

Good luck at the semis!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

That's great. Nothing to beat the feeling that all the hard work in rehearsals paid off.

I would say the feeling of watching the guitarist trying to get in their locked car probably would beat it for me :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

First time in Shotts Bon Accord Club last night with Glam covers band.

175 tickets sold. Decent sized venue with a large stage that was quite high at chest height. No chance of fans clambering onto the stage to tear of my clothes.

To be fair that doesn't happen at gigs without stages but its nice to dream of younger days. :biggrin:

Dancers from about the 2nd song in, lots of phones taking vids, lots of ladies in Glam gear which is always nice to see.

Bus load came over from another club we played and told us they would be following us around the local gigs we do which was fantastic news.

We had a wonderful female singer doing a support slot for us and we invited her up for our last song, an extended version of Shang-a-Lang with a bit of Scottish themed intro to the BCR bass and drums. Always fills the floor and gets a fantastic reception as our encore.

Committee guy at the end said the feedback was some of the best he'd had about any act in the club so that was good as at times they weren't the most enthusiastic sounding audience we've had but whenever the singers ask if we are doing alright so far it was a rapturous applause and cheering. Weird.

They're looking to get us re-booked possibly around Xmas but we only have one free night available so here's hoping.

No pics as yet.

Dave

• Like 13

We've just had two weekends of not gigging (except for the weekly Sunday jam night that we host).

The pub in Bolton that we played at made us set up in an inadequate little alcove last time, but this time they moved a few tables and let us set up in the spot we are used to. It's amazing how quickly some rust creeps in, even though we're usually out all the time. Our guitarist flubbed a line of lyrics in Purple haze and just came out with something phonetic to keep the tune going. It was hilarious. I played part of a bass line in the wrong key partway though one song, as my mind was totally elsewhere. I gave my bass a look as if it was the bass' fault and some people laughed at that.

A nice, relaxed evening and not too far from my house.

428518548_901295412002100_48133037140149   431137039_903268301804811_76557662579969

429553138_903268531804788_31919981725038  

429587920_903268515138123_49763927048791

430334490_903268485138126_30667135663753

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 17

image.thumb.png.781dfe05c51339dc7eb670c8197c955f.png
First gig of year for us! What with a change in vocalists and 2nd guitar, it’s not been a productive start but we’re up and running now. New guitarist is quite versatile (1st guitar off stage at this point in the gig enjoying his new wireless freedom!) and a change to female lead vocals has meant a more ‘lounge’ oriented set but it went down well. Played at an embassy club, there’s not much of a live scene here in Islamabad so you always get an enthusiastic crowd as they’re just grateful someone is playing, so you’re never quite sure if they’re applauding your musical performance or just the fact you turned up! 

• Like 18

Had a great gig with the Inevitable Teaspoons last night at Krakatoa in Aberdeen.  Sound was a bit of a 'mare, we were late starting because the regular sound guy was off ill so it was the venue owner with a newbie assistant trying to chase the bugs out of the system - some annoying feedback coming from somewhere, took a while to track down the offending mic.  But the crowd were patient and they were (hopefully) rewarded with a decent set.  I felt really relaxed in my own performance, the sort of good feeling you get when you can have a laugh with the drummer if either of us does something a little odd instead of worried scowls.  Played my Reverend Triad, and it got some questions (chiefly "what is your bass?" - happy to inform, 'mon the Reverend!).

Rather more bizarre after we finished and I came off stage I got stopped by a guy at the bar who said very nice things about my playing, and paid me the very specific compliment of comparing me to Leland Sklar (!) - and he wasn't talking about my beard because that's a no contest - I'm only similar to Leland Sklar in that respect in the sense that I have a beard at all!  He complimented me specifically on my fingerstyle and was talking himself down because he "only" plays pick.  I was quick to point out that it's just a different technique, neither one is "better" than the other and mentioned that I can't play pick for toffee.

Anyway, was kinda blown away by that very bass-specific compliment that I'm not sure what I did to earn, but I'll bloody well take it!

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 16

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

you heard about the bass player that locked his keys in the car … took him two hours to get the drummer out

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

My band 'Shreds.' played at The Outpost in Liverpool last night.  This was our first time playing in Liverpool, and we were headlining a show that had three other bands on the bill.  The fam came along with me to watch the show, and my son is always happy to help sell merch (he sold 4 t-shirts!).

We arrived well in advance and were greeted with an incredibly competent and friendly sound guy who said he's been working there for 14 years.  We normally play LOUD, but this was a small room and he asked both the guitarist and I to trust him and turn our amps down a bit, so we did.  We had a setlist of 20 songs, three of which were new.  During the soundcheck we managed to 'rehearse' each of the new songs.  Things sounded just fine to me during the soundcheck.

I think that about 40 people showed up and when it was our turn to play, I soon realized that I could not hear myself very well on stage.  I backed up against the bass cabinet, which helped somewhat, however it wasn't quite loud enough for me.  I usually have problems hearing our guitarist on stage, but now both guitar and vox seemed super loud through the monitors.  I probably should have commented to the sound guy, but I was afraid of losing the guitar feed in my monitor so I just carried on.

The show started 30 minutes late, there were some technical issues with vox during one of the other bands' set, and the bands before us seemed to burn a lot of time by talking to the crowd.  Once we got up on stage, we were told that we'd have to cut our set short.  So, the three songs that I worked so hard to perfect on bass this past week were tossed out!  Oh well, at least I learned them in preparation for the next show! ;)  They did sound really good during the soundcheck, which was attended by the fam and a couple of the other bands. :)

428097050_1444050852861819_926755199258791356_n.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Particularly great stage sound last night…. Which is unusual for us, because we normally turn up and use the house drum shells and bass cabs, whatever they are…. but my TC BQ500 into the Ashdown 8x10 was ace…. and nice and loud. IMG_7073.jpeg.df5facf0250b8efb15b7a73995d9cd2f.jpeg

• Like 14

Inauspicious start to last night's gig when we arrived to find the thugball was on the telly and there were a dozen or more Villa fans in our bit of room. It finally finished and we started loading in, trying to move through the thick as pigshit thugball fans who stood in our way with glazed expressions, completely unresponsive to being asked to move. Then Mrs Zero and the drummer's wife wanted to sit at a table close to us but a miserable old git repelled them. Still, eventually we managed to get set up and the gig itself went well, with just the one car crash when everything went wrong in "Place your hands" (we did manage to get to the end). I think our second 45 minute set finished up at 75 minutes. The gaffer loved us and wants to get us back - just hope the agency sorts us out some more gigs there outside the football season.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, tvickey said:

I think that about 40 people showed up and when it was our turn to play, I soon realized that I could not hear myself very well on stage.  I backed up against the bass cabinet, which helped somewhat, however it wasn't quite loud enough for me.  I usually have problems hearing our guitarist on stage, but now both guitar and vox seemed super loud through the monitors.  I probably should have commented to the sound guy, but I was afraid of losing the guitar feed in my monitor so I just carried on.

As monitoring is everything to the band we’ve decided to take matters into our own hands. So when we have a foh engineer, we feed two di’s, one to the foh desk and another to our own stage box which feeds our iem’s which we are in control of. We even get the stage monitors turned off because we don’t need them, which also helps keep feedback issues at bay. It’s definitely made a difference to the our playing. 
BTW love it that your son is selling merch! Does he also play?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

First time in Shotts Bon Accord Club last night with Glam covers band.

175 tickets sold. Decent sized venue with a large stage that was quite high at chest height. No chance of fans clambering onto the stage to tear of my clothes.

To be fair that doesn't happen at gigs without stages but its nice to dream of younger days. :biggrin:

Dancers from about the 2nd song in, lots of phones taking vids, lots of ladies in Glam gear which is always nice to see.

Bus load came over from another club we played and told us they would be following us around the local gigs we do which was fantastic news.

We had a wonderful female singer doing a support slot for us and we invited her up for our last song, an extended version of Shang-a-Lang with a bit of Scottish themed intro to the BCR bass and drums. Always fills the floor and gets a fantastic reception as our encore.

Committee guy at the end said the feedback was some of the best he'd had about any act in the club so that was good as at times they weren't the most enthusiastic sounding audience we've had but whenever the singers ask if we are doing alright so far it was a rapturous applause and cheering. Weird.

They're looking to get us re-booked possibly around Xmas but we only have one free night available so here's hoping.

No pics as yet.

Dave

Selling 175 tickets is huge !

Daryl

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rayman said:

Particularly great stage sound last night…. Which is unusual for us, because we normally turn up and use the house drum shells and bass cabs, whatever they are…. but my TC BQ500 into the Ashdown 8x10 was ace…. and nice and loud. IMG_7073.jpeg.df5facf0250b8efb15b7a73995d9cd2f.jpeg

I've got to start gigging my 1991 Gibson Thunderbird. 

Daryl

• Like 5

I had an acoustic gig today. 2-5 at The Twisted Pear in Beachwood. Respectable size crowd and it was a nice place. Somebody spent allot of $$$ renovating.

We were ok, my playing was pretty decent, I got paid and I was home by 6.

Daryl

IMG_20240229_210724.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 13

12 hours ago, Boodang said:

BTW love it that your son is selling merch! Does he also play?

Yeah, my son plays guitar (but not with us).  He's nearly 16 years old and is looking to form his first band... all he needs now is the ever-elusive drummer. ;) 

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.ca4e430fe2f8d47deb201f172038ed25.png

pic courtesy of Emma Bowden @armadillocentral.com

Brilliant gig on Saturday at The Plough in Shrepreth. Good turn out, some lovely comments from the audience and staff and being not far from home. I had lots of friends and family in; which is always nice.Very good friendly venue; a great local pub that prides itself on on being a proper music pub- nice stage, good house PA and an owner who also knows his way around a desk; he did a great job on the sound while running a busy bar and looked after us really well. He also happens to stock some great beers and Mrs C was driving !

We had a great time one of the best pub gigs I’ve played.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I had an acoustic gig today. 2-5 at The Twisted Pear in Beachwood. Respectable size crowd and it was a nice place. Somebody spent allot of $$$ renovating.

We were ok, my playing was pretty decent, I got paid and I was home by 6.

Daryl

IMG_20240229_210724.jpg

Shorts and t-shirts....sigh!

• Like 2