Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

19 minutes ago, msb said:

That Bass VI is a ton of fun. 

I've used it in the studio and for a video but never live.  We're planning an EP this Spring which will be exclusively Bass VI and synth.

This is my customised Squier Bass VI. Matching shoes and cat with disapproving look optional. 

IMG_4974.jpg.a7d5fe91e7ab96e616904d552970a3f5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Shortly after buying my Squier VI I decided I needed a TreVerb pedal. And then someone suggested some gain would be nice … next thing I knew I was putting a pedalboard together. 
Wound up spending more on that than the bass.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I've used it in the studio and for a video but never live.  We're planning an EP this Spring which will be exclusively Bass VI and synth.

This is my customised Squier Bass VI. Matching shoes and cat with disapproving look optional. 

IMG_4974.jpg.a7d5fe91e7ab96e616904d552970a3f5.jpg

Cool, love it.

Daryl

• Thanks 1

Awesome fun. Katy Hurt and band opened the new south coast “Buck’n’Bull” pop up country and western themed night at Canvas in Bournemouth. Packed crowd all well up for it, and out of the ~350 strong crowd a fair percentage knew all the words to all Katy’s songs which was ace. It was fecking loud but that aside we had a blast 🤠

IMG_1571.thumb.jpeg.c38966ba6297ae722fc62c4df5787d3f.jpeg

IMG_1576.thumb.jpeg.5b46994c0f060307b707648f2cf910bd.jpeg

• Like 19

The acoustic act is back at The Harley  .Motor Saturday night, 5:30-8:30.

Get this, You know I'm in WI and our Greenbay Packers got into the play offs by the skin of our teeth. We have a huge game with The San Francisco 49ers tomorrow night. Nobody will be interested in bands tomorrow night.

Daryl

IMG_20240119_210005.jpg

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Get this, You know I'm in WI and our Greenbay Packers got into the play offs by the skin of our teeth. We have a huge game with The San Francisco 49ers tomorrow night. Nobody will be interested in bands tomorrow night.

Daryl

IMG_20240119_210005.jpg

By reputation the 49'ers should smash them. Start right after the game so they can drown sorrows in sad cowboy tunes? If by chance they win they can celebrate to upbeat blues tunes. Win, win!

• Like 4

Wimborne Tivoli Theatre last night with The ELO Experience. Capacity crowd of around 500

in this nice venue in Dorset, although a five hour drive down from Yorkshire for us.

Gig went well, and got to meet my cousin who lives in the area for a chat beforehand.

Only a 20 min drive to the hotel afterwards too, so in bed before midnight.

Onwards today to Dartford so hoping the M25 will be kind to us.

IMG_0214.jpeg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

We had a great one last night. Our disgusting racket seemed to go down well. Everything went right and we really enjoyed ourselves. 

IMG-20240120-WA0038

IMG-20240120-WA0012

What bass are you using there ? Looks nice.

Dave

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

What bass are you using there ? Looks nice.

Dave

It's an Ibanez SRMS805 in brown burst. I like it but the close string spacing means it's not for everyone. 

Brown burst does sound like result of a bad takeaway 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

This afternoon/evening. Played for a friend's birthday, our biggest stage with this particular band and only the second with laptop backing tracks. My first time running the laptop and one minor hiccup but overall it was a great performance. We are in a good place and really enjoying it 🙂

20240120_155543.thumb.jpg.ff03a576f2864146cc2db40d62cac8b4.jpg

• Like 13

Just got in from a Spacewasters gig at Signature Brew in Haggerston, London, first gig with our new guitarist and the singer just doing stand up vox having now dropped guitar. Went really well, one of those gigs without sound check, just plug in and off you go. No errors, very receptive audience and home in time for an Uber kebab and Match of The Day (with Lineker muted of course).

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Just got in from a Spacewasters gig at Signature Brew in Haggerston, London, first gig with our new guitarist and the singer just doing stand up vox having now dropped guitar. Went really well, one of those gigs without sound check, just plug in and off you go. No errors, very receptive audience and home in time for an Uber kebab and Match of The Day (with Lineker muted of course).

Unfortunately its Alex Scott - Lineker too busy as leader of the opposition. 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tonight: Oktagon (it's got a K in it) in Knowle - the posh end of Solihull (it makes Didsbury look like the bronx) with the rock band.
The guitarists's missuses joint 40th with a friend.
I was a bit dubious as it was a very posh bar in a very posh area, full of yummy mummies and I didn't think we'd be their cup of tea/glass of Prosecco, but the birthday girl has seen us loads of times, so she knew what she was in for.
We started at 7 (!), the first set went down OK, the second set went down loads better and the place was rocking by the end. Hooray!
Played the Jazz for a change -> small board -> Sansamp -> Markbass CMD121.
There was wood-fired pizza for afters. Mmmm.
Done by 930, home for 10.

It was my first gig with the ACG custom earplugs in... bit weird at first, I felt a bit disconnected and like the band lacked a bit of ooomph.
Got used to them after a bit, and found they helped with the BVs as I could hear myself through my headbone.

A good night, all things considered.

• Like 16

My final gig tonight and I didn't go out on a high. Hand cramp meant I could barely hold my pick in the last few songs and my playing sucked.

We were opening for a Motorhead tribute and unfortunately, the crowd weren't in to our stoner/sludge metal. 

Not a good night. Even the drive home was horrible with the wind and rain.

• Sad 21

My band 'Shreds.' played ALOFT at 'The Haworth' in Hull last night... this was part of the Hull Punk Festival that is taking place this weekend.

The venue room and stage were quite nice, but the drums were situated up on risers to the far left.  We were informed ahead of time that amps and cabs would be supplied as part of the backline.  I didn't know exactly what gear this would be, so I brought my usual Mesa Strategy 888 and ultimately plugged that into the Mark Bass 4x10" cab on stage (sounded good to me!).  Our guitarist usually uses a JCM800, but decided to go with the backline amp which was a combo and seemed to have a single 12" speaker (if even that?).  The cabs were mic-ed up and fed back to us as part of the monitor mix.

However, the 'monitors' there were smaller than my home stereo speakers... and with the small on-stage guitar amp that was part of the backline I really could not hear guitar at all.   While playing we asked the sound guy to turn up guitar in the monitors... he seemed to acknowledge this, but the volume never went up.  I had to watch our guitarist and rely on some visual cues.  When we finished, our guitarist muttered to me, "Well, it's definitely not a Marshall".  

We seemed to play well despite the impairment, and even sold two t-shirts and gained a number of additional followers on Facebook.  All in all, it was a fun show.

421179737_10161470152006276_8738963026799872997_n.jpg

Edited by tvickey
typo
  • Like 14

Played in Dartford last night. The Orchard Theatre was closed down as a result of defective concrete

that was found in the roof in September 2023, and our gig there soon afterwards was cancelled.

However, due to amazing work done by Dartford Borough Council and Trafalgar Theatres, they 

managed to construct a brand new temporary theatre venue close by to The Orchard, which

was built and opened for business in late November 2023 as The Orchard West, only 9 weeks later!
Absolutely incredible feat, and shows what can be done when people work together.
Businesses in the town were worried that they would struggle without the theatre bringing in people,

and the council listened and reacted accordingly. It was ready for the Panto season! 
Anyway, we had around 800 people in ( holds just over a thousand) and it went really well. Great 

audience and the theatre crew were amazing. A long drive back though, dodging muppets on the

M25 and M1 as well as long 50mph speed restrictions for no apparent reason meaning I got home

just before 3am. Bit of lunch soon and then am driving up to Scarborough this afternoon for my

favourite gig with our acoustic duo. Severe weather warnings in place so crossing everything.

IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_3556.jpeg

IMG_0216.jpeg

• Like 26

44 minutes ago, casapete said:

Played in Dartford last night. The Orchard Theatre was closed down as a result of defective concrete

that was found in the roof in September 2023, and our gig there soon afterwards was cancelled.

However, due to amazing work done by Dartford Borough Council and Trafalgar Theatres, they 

managed to construct a brand new temporary theatre venue close by to The Orchard, which

was built and opened for business in late November 2023 as The Orchard West, only 9 weeks later!
Absolutely incredible feat, and shows what can be done when people work together.
Businesses in the town were worried that they would struggle without the theatre bringing in people,

and the council listened and reacted accordingly. It was ready for the Panto season! 
Anyway, we had around 800 people in ( holds just over a thousand) and it went really well. Great 

audience and the theatre crew were amazing. A long drive back though, dodging muppets on the

M25 and M1 as well as long 50mph speed restrictions for no apparent reason meaning I got home

just before 3am. Bit of lunch soon and then am driving up to Scarborough this afternoon for my

favourite gig with our acoustic duo. Severe weather warnings in place so crossing everything.

IMG_3559.jpeg

IMG_3556.jpeg

IMG_0216.jpeg

That theatre is just a few minutes up the road from me. The land that the temporary theatre sat on was a huge patch of bare earth for years since an old coop was demolished.

Quite a feat to get it up and running so quickly 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

My final gig tonight and I didn't go out on a high. Hand cramp meant I could barely hold my pick in the last few songs and my playing sucked.

We were opening for a Motorhead tribute and unfortunately, the crowd weren't in to our stoner/sludge metal. 

Not a good night. Even the drive home was horrible with the wind and rain.

That's a real shame, Steve.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 21:06, Bluewine said:

Daryl

IMG_20240119_210005.jpg

Fun gig, not a huge crowd. I was happy with my playing. We had a lot of cool grooves last night.

Daryl

20240120_165742.jpg

20240120_165705.jpg

20240120_165725.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 12