Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Yellowhouse had a good one last night. Large sized pub in Harlow and our first gig there. They have bands a couple of times a month and it's a typical sports bar/food place. Quite a difficult sound though - it was long and low with a wooden floor, no carpets and full length glass windows down the whole of one side. The bass and kick drum was just disappearing as soon as you stood 20 feet away out front. (On stage it was loads of fun though as the bass was properly cranked up to compensate - my eyeballs were shaking. New strings on a Warwick Corvette with EMG's, a Mesa BB750 pushing hard through a pair of Barefaced Big Baby cabs.)

We weren't sure if we may be a bit too rowdy/rocky for what we assumed would be a Sex On Fire/Mr Brightside crowd but had loads of people coming up after saying it was refreshing to see something a bit different from what they usually had there. Half a dozen regulars also went down the 'best band we've ever had here' convo which is always nice for the ego. Rebooks guaranteed for next year. Easy load in and excellent hospitality from the owners and security guys as well. We enjoyed ourselves. Oh, and i was back home in 20 minutes 🙂

• Like 14

On 30/06/2023 at 23:13, Bluewine said:

Maple Road

This Saturday 7/1 @
The Baree
7:00
Thiensville

Very cool upscale outdoor venue. Probably the most important gig of the summer.

Blue

FB_IMG_1687610679514.jpg

The Baree was a good gig.

Fantastic crowd.

Blue 20230701_203224.thumb.jpg.039f48f2f12ab39067878fad32c34b72.jpg

20230701_203238.jpg

IMG_20230702_103531~2.jpg

• Like 21

Played somewhere in the Cotswolds last night. 

Aren't satnavs great? Started the day in Charmouth and several hours later ended up headlining an event somewhere else. Just bunged in the what three words link and headed off.

Modern gigging. Don't even need to know where you are, where you've been or where you're going IMG20230701183740.thumb.jpg.e23f1170f4cd5feb329cd08eef3118d0.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3

One of our fave annual gigs - Porlock Weirfest - came round again last night. Nothing beats watching the sun go down over the sea from up on stage at The Bottom Ship. Glasto? You can keep it 😊

Mrs Scrumpy took the video just after nipping into the pub. This was as close to the stage as she could get when she came back. At least you're spared our ugly mugs. Not played SOF for a while but the crowd were hollering for it. Shame we didn't all start from the same place 😐 Watch closely for proof of the curative power of music; the guy who arrived on crutches is now waving them above his head!

I'm trying to remember how to do a link that everyone can share...

Silverback wrap Porlock Weirfest 2023

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

One of our fave annual gigs - Porlock Weirfest - came round again last night. Nothing beats watching the sun go down over the sea from up on stage at The Bottom Ship. Glasto? You can keep it 😊

Mrs Scrumpy took the video just after nipping into the pub. This was as close to the stage as she could get when she came back. At least you're spared our ugly mugs. Not played SOF for a while but the crowd were hollering for it. Shame we didn't all start from the same place 😐 Watch closely for proof of the curative power of music; the guy who arrived on crutches is now waving them above his head!

I'm trying to remember how to do a link that everyone can share...

Silverback wrap Porlock Weirfest 2023

The link isn't working Mike.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Aren't satnavs great?

See my post above...

..."At the junction, turn right. Where the tarmac runs out, keep straight ahead for half a mile. In a quarter of a mile, there is a huge pothole. Jink left then immediately right and wait for the bang. In one hundred yards turn left onto a farm track. Bounce downhill for two miles. At the next junction, stop and check for sump damage." 😄

• Haha 4

Some nice gigs here, folks. Clutching at Straws did Rock on the Rec festival Stamford earlier today. A lively line up of songs… we started with Mamma Mia 😂. New “floor amp” setup for our singer/rhythm guitarist and mind on other things (plus the usual “you get what you get” line check monitor mix) meant it wasn’t popping, but we played well and I mixed up the 20 year old set list for an hour of bangers that the boys had to think about a bit for once.

If previous band was anything to go by, there was absolutely no bass guitar in the foh mix! Hey ho.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Len_derby said:

The covers band, Night Shift, played at the South Normanton Gala yesterday. South Normanton has the distinction of being on the Which short-list for the shabbiest high street in Britain but fortunately the Gala took place in the grounds of nearby Carnfield Hall. The gala is totally run by volunteers, including the bar staff, and we just got expenses plus free beer and chips. Only a 15 minute journey too. Lots of very drunk happy people dancing around to our set. It was also the first run-out for the shirt my daughter brought me back from Bali. It was a bit breezy in the field but I took off my jacket for show time.

EA92F70F-4177-4507-AE96-95CA5246A50E.jpeg

Nice monitors.

Second of our 3 gigs this week was at The Fairfield Halls in Croydon. Interesting venue with great

crew, and an enthusiastic audience. Had some lovely food before the gig at The Boxpark too.

Finished up our gigs with a festival at Madehurst near Arundel. Organised by the local cricket

club, it’s an annual event which funds the club itself as well as various local charities. Around

3,000 tickets sold meant the organisers were happy. We were on with 3 other bands, who were

all really good. Great to see young musicians knocking out recent chart stuff for the audience dancing

- also made us wonder if we could follow them with our 90 minute set of ELO stuff. Needn’t have

worried though, and I was amazed that a lot of the younger people actually knew most of the songs. 

IMG_3238.jpeg

IMG_3237.jpeg

d94775ac-b8a2-49e4-8535-e0a16816ee25.jpeg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Second of our 3 gigs this week was at The Fairfield Halls in Croydon. Interesting venue with great

crew, and an enthusiastic audience. Had some lovely food before the gig at The Boxpark too.

Finished up our gigs with a festival at Madehurst near Arundel. Organised by the local cricket

club, it’s an annual event which funds the club itself as well as various local charities. Around

3,000 tickets sold meant the organisers were happy. We were on with 3 other bands, who were

all really good. Great to see young musicians knocking out recent chart stuff for the audience dancing

- also made us wonder if we could follow them with our 90 minute set of ELO stuff. Needn’t have

worried though, and I was amazed that a lot of the younger people actually knew most of the songs. 

IMG_3238.jpeg

IMG_3237.jpeg

d94775ac-b8a2-49e4-8535-e0a16816ee25.jpeg

Looks beautiful. 

Interesting,regarding young musicians.

It saddens me to say I have not been impressed with the young musicians in my neck of the woods. No bands really. Most of what I see are marginal acoustic solo and duo acts. 

So I wonder what will happen with actual rock bands, what's the future. Most guys my age (70) around here are starting to throw in the towel.

Blue

• Sad 1

Headlined an event called Picnic in the Park at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire yesterday as part of the Elton John tribute band. Nice afternoon out, good crowd, didn't rain (yay!) and a big stage to throw rock star shapes on. All boxes ticked really.

• Like 13

Settle Down festival on Saturday. We were on first at 3pm and I didn't have high hopes for a crowd but they really packed in. My mate has loaned me a very nice drum kit to try and I always think you get a new source of inspiration when on a different instrument... either that or the fresh heads I'd just put on, but it sounded awesome.

Our bassist was told to turn right down on stage, which he hates. The engineer did explain the issue to him but I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I asked for bass in my monitor as I couldn't hear the bass amp, and he says "sure, you can have as much bass in the monitors as you like". What's the difference between loud bass on stage from an amp, or loud bass on stage from monitors? I must be missing something there

Anyway, the crowd were on our side from the first note. It felt like the best gig for ages.

20230701_155629.thumb.jpg.47559e8c618b3fa82832dd9058f7d9ef.jpg20230701_140039.thumb.jpg.01203946440a1ee5509c62c57567c8e9.jpg

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Settle Down festival on Saturday. We were on first at 3pm and I didn't have high hopes for a crowd but they really packed in. My mate has loaned me a very nice drum kit to try and I always think you get a new source of inspiration when on a different instrument... either that or the fresh heads I'd just put on, but it sounded awesome.

Our bassist was told to turn right down on stage, which he hates. The engineer did explain the issue to him but I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I asked for bass in my monitor as I couldn't hear the bass amp, and he says "sure, you can have as much bass in the monitors as you like". What's the difference between loud bass on stage from an amp, or loud bass on stage from monitors? I must be missing something there

Anyway, the crowd were on our side from the first note. It felt like the best gig for ages.

20230701_155629.thumb.jpg.47559e8c618b3fa82832dd9058f7d9ef.jpg20230701_140039.thumb.jpg.01203946440a1ee5509c62c57567c8e9.jpg

Is that a Kemper you're using there @cheddatom

How are you finding it in a live situation ?

Dave

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is that a Kemper you're using there @cheddatom

How are you finding it in a live situation ?

Dave

No that's the Ferocious Dog rig, they were headlining 3 nights on the trot, so left all their gear set up. I'm on drums with Headsticks so was just showing off my fancy kit on the riser :) 

• Haha 1

Back on ham hill after a month. A bit different this time. The last time we went was with our replacement guitarist who left and this time it is with our old guitarist that came back. Although the last one should have been better, he is a better guitarist, it was warmer etc, this one just seemed to be better, everything gelled, I played well, it sounded better so no idea. Maybe it was just after we heard he was leaving, so there was a bit of a worry. However the crowd seemed better, maybe last time was just too hot, there was a lot more dancing and engagement right from the start.

Played the bongo - really like that bass, plays well, used the dwarf, again, works well, especially having the synths in the board too, all on the new HB rocketship pedalboard which is smaller than the previous one (wish I got the metal case now!), everything seems to be going well, noone complained about the sound at all. Shame that it was the last time I decided to record and video rather than this time. Still, got sent a few short crowd videos.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

It saddens me to say I have not been impressed with the young musicians in my neck of the woods. No bands really. Most of what I see are marginal acoustic solo and duo acts. 

So I wonder what will happen with actual rock bands, what's the future. Most guys my age (70) around here are starting to throw in the towel.

I heard a PROPER rock band rehearsing recently - I could hear them from the kitchen.
Absolutely smashing Guns & Roses, Ramones, Stooges sort of stuff and (I think) a couple of originals.
I posted on the local fb group saying how good they sounded (and a request for some led zep), turns ott they're all 14-16 years old.
Got loads of replies saying how good it was to hear young 'uns rocking out, and people asking when they were gigging next.

There is hope for the future!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, cheddatom said:

It will probably be partially directional and partially tonal. I can't see it in the photo but from what I encounter and larger stages, I imagine that the drum monitor is angled slightly towards the back of the stage so as to minimise spill to FoH, also it will probably be EQ'd to maximise being able to hear the instruments. IME the problem with bass rigs interfering with FoH is excessive bass. These days I rarely use my FRFR when I gig relying instead on the PA foldback, however on those occasions when I do bring it, I normally have in pointing across the stage to minimise FoH spill.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It will probably be partially directional and partially tonal. I can't see it in the photo but from what I encounter and larger stages, I imagine that the drum monitor is angled slightly towards the back of the stage so as to minimise spill to FoH, also it will probably be EQ'd to maximise being able to hear the instruments. IME the problem with bass rigs interfering with FoH is excessive bass. These days I rarely use my FRFR when I gig relying instead on the PA foldback, however on those occasions when I do bring it, I normally have in pointing across the stage to minimise FoH spill.

Yeh I figure the excessive bass was the problem, he's using a 4 x 10 and 2 x 10 BareFaced stack, and it's loud as hell, but by the time bass had been sent to everyone's monitor, it sounded just as loud and just as bassy to me. I guess it gives the engineer the control once we get going - he could cut the low end out of the monitors but couldn't cut it out of the bass amp. It sounded great by all accounts anyway

• Like 1