Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

3 hours ago, SICbass said:

Nice rig, lovely bass. And, between the hairstyle and the axe, if your band ISN'T a Who tribute, it seems an awful waste 😜

Here's a full sized comp.

We're a punkyish/alternativeish four piece.  Singer Eddie fronted Department S (and before anyone one asks, yes we do), guitarist is ex-Members (amongst others), session drummer (loads) and moi.

alices.jpg

• Like 4

Played a couple of gigs with my brother in law at the Leith Jazz & Blues Festival in Edinburgh yesterday. I've played on and off with him since the 90s but only a couple of times in last couple of years. His usual guys weren't available so he asked me and a drummer he knew from about 40 years ago to do the gigs. For a thrown together band we did okay, the crowd had fun and the manager of the second bar we played in, who'd obviously made a mint in bar takings from his bursting at the seams bar, offered us twice the agreed fee at the end of the gig (my brother in law refused due to some reason I couldn't understand).

image.thumb.png.40a0ae179fd23855b0741e1ece9a1725.png

• Like 9

Weird gig at The Gunner's Club in Sunderland. Turns out it's not just a name and they take the 'gunners' bit very seriously. This was not the place for a stray acab joke, that's for sure.

The pictures were all taken during either set up or soundcheck, it absolutely filled up as soon as we started the first song and everyone came upstairs from the bar below. All in all a good gig, and when the free pint was drunk the next one was £2.90, ahhhhhh social clubs.

347238647_209275215334777_4197571511358395163_n.jpg

PXL_20230602_191549134.jpg

PXL_20230602_191603619.jpg

PXL_20230602_191528235.jpg

PXL_20230602_203852756.MP.jpg

PXL_20230602_203751372.jpg

PXL_20230602_203748099.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 11

First gig for the new band, Dirty Roses (rock covers). It was also one guitarist's first gig. Not perfect, but we got plenty of compliments and the audience stayed to the end. First real outing for the GR Bass AT800 Cube combo. It was also the first outing for the singer/guitarist's Les Paul that he won in a competition a couple of months ago, and for my Ibanez EHB1265MS/Aguilar. Had some problems with the power supply on my pedalboard so had to just go wired. The only real pink torpedo-up was the encore - our last number in the set is Sweet Child O' Mine, which we play downtuned a semitone. The other guitarist does that on his Variax by simply turning a knob. However, he forgot to turn it back for the encore, Angels, so as soon as I came in there was a horrible discordant clash, unlike the horrible discordant clashes I normally do. He quickly realised and sorted it out, and it didn't stop everybody singing along.

Band.thumb.jpg.748366d1ef6828b1dccc2554c811cbad.jpg

• Like 13

I've definitely been quieter on the gig front recently because we are concentrating on finishing our album, but yesterday we were out at my local pub in Aldbourne for a very nice outdoors gig. All acoustic, all gothic and it saw me playing bass, mandolin, mandocello, tenor banjo, bodhran and even singing some lead lines. We found out the day before the Aldbourne Brass band were doing a concert as we finished so a decision was made to start earlier. A decent turn out and as our set continued, a very elderly audience started showing up for the Brass band. They positioned their deckchairs facing away from us whilst we played to a packed beer garden. I was then approached afterwards about playing some local festivals. Apparently he loved us but all the Brass band fans had been complaining that we played "miserable music". I might use that on some promo! 

Generally we were well received and played well. Nick had been struggling with his voice but thankfully he did a brilliant job. We did a fair few new songs and they all went down brilliantly. I must say that I do find 2 hours playing as a duo to be very hard work. I'm shattered today! 

da89b8a8-f7f2-4bc1-899b-e1f6c803b4ee.thumb.jpg.fc1c7f797107f48464ad1a009c6ecfb1.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

Apparently he loved us but all the Brass band fans had been complaining that we played "miserable music". I might use that on some promo! 

Goths? Miserable? Never!

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

Last two shows of our debut 'Bootleg Rock Show feat. Leather & Lace' Tour this past weekend.... and what gigs they were!

Portsmouth New Theatre Royal and Shrewsbury Theatre Severn's Walker Theatre..... both 3/4 full and amazing audience responses so a wonderful way to finish out the tour.

I managed to take 15 of my Spectors (& one Hamer) out on this tour for different shows....It was lovely to get to play so many of them out live and I received many compliments from discerning audience members (as well as delight from our regular touring soundman). 😎

Audience and venue reactions mean that we will do another short run towards the end of this year and then another proper tour next year as well as hopefully a visit to Holland & Belgium too! Very proud of my bandmates and our crew....whodathunk after playing for 40 years I'd still be out there and having more fun/doing better gigs than ever? Don't Stop Believing indeed....

20230602_175152.jpg

20230603_173818.jpg

FB_IMG_1685832816053.jpg

IMG-20230604-WA0001.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 12

Under The Castle festival near Bolsover. We were the "headline" for Friday night but that just meant we were on at 10:30pm and everyone was too drunk, tired and cold. Apparently this festival was SOLD OUT but I reckon we played to 100ish people. Still, worth doing and I had fun. The highlight was a fan who's been coming to see us for years. He grabbed me early on, way before our set, and insisted on introducing me to his friends. He was ranting on about how he first saw us playing tiny little gigs and now we're "massive". Very amusing as I looked around the festival counting the number of punters :)

• Like 8

I forgot to mention that Mrs Zero informed me that one young lady had been jiggling along to us so enthusiastically that she jiggled out of the top of her dress. Mrs Zero was also rather surprised that I'd missed it. Must stop looking at the fretboard so much. Sorry, there is no photographic evidence.

• Haha 4

On 03/06/2023 at 22:37, Mickeyboro said:

On behalf of @King Tut - an excellent show by the Verity Bromham Band in Wimborne. 
Classic rock with a side order of humour, good fun and recommended!

E868BB0B-2B5C-45B5-AA45-F34608251C93.thumb.jpeg.6c1c67a4f1c86f3cb1f58191c900a4fc.jpegD495A1AE-2379-4A4F-B86E-900360DD4ADD.thumb.jpeg.19161a10ebf3951bf58779da035d69ab.jpeg530CEBF6-44AB-4DBF-9F3E-DC3275671811.thumb.jpeg.350b40e2e952b2450e22592acae0b866.jpeg

Great little theatre in Wimborne, with the added benefit that the average age of the audience when we played there in February made the band feel young (and we're no spring chickens)! 

Good to see @King Tut playing bass in a band with my old housemate's dad...! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I forgot to mention that Mrs Zero informed me that one young lady had been jiggling along to us so enthusiastically that she jiggled out of the top of her dress

Happened to me once - not jiggling out of my dress - but the large lady in front of me jiggled out of the side of her top(!) and believe me, I wish I had been looking at the fretboard. I went straight into an experimental jazz odyssey. 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I forgot to mention that Mrs Zero informed me that one young lady had been jiggling along to us so enthusiastically that she jiggled out of the top of her dress. Mrs Zero was also rather surprised that I'd missed it. Must stop looking at the fretboard so much. Sorry, there is no photographic evidence.

We had a woman whose trousers and knickers kept dropping down somewhat at the back exposing a good bit of her backside at a gig a few years back!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I've played a few biker festivals where ladies tops suddenly seemed to be inadequate for their intended purpose, although I'm pretty sure that the reason for this was quite deliberate...! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/06/2023 at 05:48, neepheid said:

20 dwindled down to 3 by the end.  Bar staff so keen to get the place closed that they helped us load out.  What an odd night, grateful for the 3 who stuck around to the bitter end but have to chalk this one down as a bit of a bust.

Oh well, private birthday party next weekend, I hope the birthday boy has lots of friends.  We'll even accept casual acquaintances! :D

The whole small crowd issue is something I still struggle with.

Last weekend we played a 3:00 slot at The Burlington  Jamboree.  Brand new stage with top notch sound , lighting and crew. I felt so sorry for our band leader addressing one table of 6 

Blue

FB_IMG_1685293259638.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, peteb said:

I've played a few biker festivals where ladies tops suddenly seemed to be inadequate for their intended purpose, although I'm pretty sure that the reason for this was quite deliberate...! 

Lol, the Biker culture over here in the States has " aged out ". Most of the ladies  gave up wearing skimpy tops 30 years ago.

I guess my point is, the older bikers were not replaced with young ones.

Blue

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Lol, the Biker culture over here in the States has " aged out ". Most of the ladies  gave up wearing skimpy tops 30 years ago.

Blue

To be fair, I am talking about gigs in the late 90s / early 00s. 

The biker crowd seems to have aged like everyone else. While there are some younger guys around to replace the older ones, certainly not enough to keep the numbers up to the same level. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

You need to play at Sturgis bike rally.

Lot of skimpy gear on show there from what i've been told and seen. :laugh1:

image.png.1157bcb4baf57e9c1486f86e2b494c1a.png

Personally i prefer this pic.

image.png.036e35058f6a24d0722643e2ab8e1b6d.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Emergency Exit punk gig in The Cave in Paisley last night 6-9pm. Great wee gig with a very enthusiastic audience including a rather young looking girl who danced almost every song. 

Not sure if this link from Facebook will work.

Dave

http://www.facebook.com/jackie.mills.9889/videos/218513660945121/

Videos look great, really need to get my derrière in gear and come see you. 👍

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Angelus said:

Videos look great, really need to get my derrière in gear and come see you. 👍

Punk audience can be a hit or a miss. Was a decent wee crowd last night probably because it was glorious weather.

Glam band is really starting to pick up now and we are getting reasonably busy with bookings already in for next year incl one on 28th Dec 2024 so that's good.

Enjoying both bands as they are so different. One is turn up, plug and play and the other being more a show.

Did think about trying Horse & Jockey but its awfy wee and not sure we could fit in there with the punk band. Not sure what they pay either ?

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, peteb said:

Great little theatre in Wimborne, with the added benefit that the average age of the audience when we played there in February made the band feel young (and we're no spring chickens)! 

Good to see @King Tut playing bass in a band with my old housemate's dad...! 

Who was your old Housemate? My bandmates make me feel young - except for our drummer!

• Like 1