Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Cheers for that. I did read that hockey puks work as isolators but not tried them.

Dave

Are you using your cab(s) for FOH or just fold back?  If it’s just fold back, have you tried the cab on a stand?  I have one that angles my combo amp so that it acts more like a wedge, but without direct contact with the floor.  The stand has rubber feet so I guess that acts as a bit of isolation. I’ve never felt the need to try any further isolation, such as a carpet.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Simon C said:

Are you using your cab(s) for FOH or just fold back?  If it’s just fold back, have you tried the cab on a stand?  I have one that angles my combo amp so that it acts more like a wedge, but without direct contact with the floor.  The stand has rubber feet so I guess that acts as a bit of isolation. I’ve never felt the need to try any further isolation, such as a carpet.

I use Mesa SW210 / 115 cabs and a stand wouldn't really work for me. Depending on the band / gig i can use it with or without PA support. I use the Gramma pad on wooden hollow stage where there's a chance of low frequency boom. If i use it for every gig i could probably keep exact same settings for every venue. It does work well but i'm never happy with the stack wobble.

The cabs do have rubber feet but in some circumstances i was still getting stage boom.

Dave

A good one tonight once again in the Forest of Dean. The band was really tight and we played really well. As always an appreciative and vocal crowd at a place we've played several times now and have been invited back again later this year. 

I used the Spector Bantam all night and for the first time in a long while had no aches or pains from my hip or back which was a huge bonus for me, especially after well over two hours of playing. 

• Like 10

On 26/05/2023 at 12:02, Bluewine said:

Maple Road
Saturday May 27th
Burlington  Jamboree
3:00-6:30

Burlington WI

I'll  let you guys know how it goes. Sound and lighting provided and nice hours.

Blue

WFB_IMG_1684715681061.jpg

We played The Burlington  Jamboree  gig today. Not a very big crowd. 

Great stage crew with top notch sound and lighting . We had a few good moments.

You guys like my hat?

Blue

IMG_20230527_201616.jpg

facebook_1685293324602_7068632532552964900~2.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 11

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Cheers for that. I did read that hockey puks work as isolators but not tried them.

Dave

If you are talking about regular ice hockey pucks they are extremely hard rubber and will act as a spacer but won't absorb much sound or vibration and wouldn't work very well for isolation. There are softer foam rubber pucks that are used for fun games and driveway hockey and they might work OK.

• Like 1

Not the bestest :(

Everything went great first set, started the second and I though "I'm really quiet" and I realised that my stage wedge, a QSC K12.2, had the power light flashing rather than steady on. When we got a minute between songs during some singer/crowd banter I flipped it back over to see an error message on the screen. On dear. I put some of myself in the singer's wedge and got on with the gig just fine.

However, the QSC has a problem. If you turn it on it says "Speaker damage, can you hear the 100Hz test tone clear and undistorted?" Well, I can't even hear anything. It's as if the speaker is completely disconnected. Now the question is: authorised QSC service centre (London) or local repair?

Balls.

• Sad 5

4 hours ago, Staggering on said:

If you are talking about regular ice hockey pucks they are extremely hard rubber and will act as a spacer but won't absorb much sound or vibration and wouldn't work very well for isolation. There are softer foam rubber pucks that are used for fun games and driveway hockey and they might work OK.

That explains it a bit for me as i always thought hockey pucks were very hard. Must be the softer ones they were talking about.

Dave

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jack said:

Not the bestest :(

Everything went great first set, started the second and I though "I'm really quiet" and I realised that my stage wedge, a QSC K12.2, had the power light flashing rather than steady on. When we got a minute between songs during some singer/crowd banter I flipped it back over to see an error message on the screen. On dear. I put some of myself in the singer's wedge and got on with the gig just fine.

However, the QSC has a problem. If you turn it on it says "Speaker damage, can you hear the 100Hz test tone clear and undistorted?" Well, I can't even hear anything. It's as if the speaker is completely disconnected. Now the question is: authorised QSC service centre (London) or local repair?

Balls.

That's not good. great quality gear too. Hope its an easy fix. Our PA is all QSC, 12's, 15's and subs.

Dave

Almost perfect yesterday, we had a late afternoon slot at a small festival in Harpenden. Great weather, we played well, the crowd liked us, saw some good bands before and after our set and saw the mighty Hatters win the Championship playoff on the pub TV! And I got paid too!

the only downside is our singer is pregnant so this will be our last gig for a while.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We played The Burlington  Jamboree  gig today. Not a very big crowd. 

Great stage crew with top notch sound and lighting . We had a few good moments.

You guys like my hat?

Blue

IMG_20230527_201616.jpg

Well as you asked, I do quite like your hat.  Hat opinion is mixed on here though: I was once congratulated for not wearing a hat.

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Bluewine hat looks well cool. But then you always look cool.

Last night for me was a private party with the Bandeoke band.

Different line up with drummer and guitarist I hadn't met before, lovely setting, lovely people. The wheels only fell off a couple of times but as ever we got through.

Only problem for me was the amp going phut in the soundcheck. I always carry my trusty Elf in the gig bag so it didn't affect the show. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Played in a local pub last night, was well attended considering there was a live event nearby. I hadn't actually touched a bass in 3 weeks as I had been on holiday and my fingers show it today! Sadly our guitarist who we got in December who fits in well and is excellent has announced he is leaving due to work commitments, so that means we have to begin the whole new guitarist thing, so that is most of our busy months going to be wasted again which put a damper on it, especially as we played really well last night.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Have you considered a dep?

We have, but for reasons I won't bore you with, we've decided to put things on hold for a few months. I may well be doing some deps myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simon C said:

Well as you asked, I do quite like your hat.  Hat opinion is mixed on here though: I was once congratulated for not wearing a hat.

I don't see the reason for this aversion to hats comes from - if you think that you look cool in a hat, then wear one... 

The problem is that people who look good wearing hats are, generally, the same people who look cool without a hat...! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, spike said:

We have, but for reasons I won't bore you with, we've decided to put things on hold for a few months. I may well be doing some deps myself.

Only ask cos our singer went to Japan for a few months and we kept things going surprisingly well. It can be a good experience. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peteb said:

I don't see the reason for this aversion to hats comes from - if you think that you look cool in a hat, then wear one... 

The problem is that people who look good wearing hats are, generally, the same people who look cool without a hat...! 

Hats are very useful if you can't be arsed to do anything with your hair, or the barnet's gone a bit awry ... 

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Hats are very useful if you can't be arsed to do anything with your hair, or the barnet's gone a bit awry ... 

But do you think that punters can't see through that one?? 

I did a gig yesterday with a few bands on the bill (a John Bonham memorial in his home town). One of the support bands were a bluesy type act, but a bit different with loads of BVs, and there were definitely a lot of cowboy hats on stage! But they got away with it because: a) they were very good, and b) they looked pretty cool anyway and didn't really need to hats to cover any barnet deficiencies! The exception to the last point was the singer, who was an older gent who had a fake ponytail attached to his cowboy hat. However he owned this by keeping doffing his hat (including ponytail) to one and all, and generally not caring that he was a little follically challenged.

The main thing was that they pulled it off as it was all part of their image and that they were really good... 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

…or you lack any hair at all 🤓

I found a wicked Stetson on Friday at Buckle and Boots, even the missus said it looked good. I was all set to buy it to wear onstage that night, then saw the price tag and wept a little 🤣

• Haha 3

I've loved hats since I was knee high to a garden gate and would happily wear a tea cosy if it was the only headgear available.

People with anti hat prejudice project their own character defects onto those sensible enough to wear them.

• Like 1

We were lucky enough to headline the John Bonham 75th birthday memorial event in his hometown of Redditch last night. 

There was a great crowd and a really good set of bands playing, not to mention that I got to play through the usual hire-in rig of a SVT4 & fridge, which I don't get to do too often these days. All great fun... 

20230527_212902.thumb.jpg.9f0d2915d7cd738b4ce52b3b1983708f.jpg

Edited by peteb
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Personally, I look like an idiot in a hat. I want to look great in a hat eg cowboy, flat cap, etc. I don’t so I applaud those who carry it off, whilst remaining slightly and irrationally bitter about the whole thing. 

I've never been much of a " hat guy ". However I'm  losing allot of hair so I'm  becoming one. Lol 😆 

Blue

• Haha 4