Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

First date for In Isolation and Gothzilla mini-tour, playing upstairs at The Olde Salutation Inn in Nottingham:

336676997-1345787859322707-8507568595224

With X-Superstar and Feather Trade also on the bill for this gig it was a bit cramped on stage and I had to do a bit of a rewire of my "bass rig" in order for Feather Trade's bass player to also use it, but the gig went well and we seemed to have the biggest audience of the night.

Just getting ready to go to Heckmondwicke for tonight's gig.

• Like 8

On 04/11/2007 at 19:19, bassninja said:

So how did it go?

It was awesome! My band did its first ever live TV appearance on The Late Late Show in Ireland (not to be confused with J Corden's paltry offering) for St Patrick's Day. Viewing figures estimated at 1 million plus! I will probably create a seperate topic about the whole experience in general but it was simply amazing. Vid below for anyone interested:

Edited by acidbass
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Went to an open mike on Wednesday with two guys I never met before k(guitar and cajon) to jam some stuff shared online. Was a bit ~ (6 doesn't work if the cajon player isn't expecting it) so to finish I called a straightforward 12 bar blues which went fine. Actuallya video shared later showed it was quite good but you can only see my headstock!

• Like 4

I went out last night for a rehearsal with a new band after a bit of a break from playing. Things in the last year or so really knocked my confidence on top of covid and a whole host of woes. So, it felt a bit like a rather tall horse to try to get back on. I did as much homework as I could and was even a bit nervy walking in for the first time.

It went really well and the whole band (two new members added on the same day) gelled really well, like-minded had a great vibe in the room and I'm playing stuff that I've never really covered before. It felt rather liberating! I took both of my MIJ Fenders with me and the Berg' stack. Sounded absolutely brilliant - and the first time I'll be gigging on just 4 strings for .. I dunno! 25 years?? 

It felt good. 

• Like 16

On 14/03/2023 at 16:55, Bluewine said:

We're going to record this one live.
Maple Road 

Rockfield Music & Media
Germantown WI
Saturday Night 3/18
8PM

Blue

FB_IMG_1678429864126.jpg

Not our best performance but we put on an honest fun Maple Road show. Our first lead guitarist had a fantastic night. Me, I made more than one mistake. We recorded the evening live.

The best part was this very cool intimate venue. This guy turned his old 3 story Victorian home into a a little concert hall with a full size bar. BYOBB ( bring your own brown bag ). 

Plenty of cool couches sofas and davenports and a section with theatre type seating.

This might seem shallow, however I did enjoy the attention during our break. I like and enjoy that people I don't know want to talk to me only because I played. If I look at my life on the whole, other than my playing there's no real reason anyone would want to talk to me.😀

Great crowd and all ages. The place was packed , looked like about 125 people.

Very lucrative gig.

Acoustic gig toda at The Ziegler Winery, 1-3.

Blue

FB_IMG_1679152200145.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Wet and windy wilds of  Wiltshire yesterday. The Woodbridge Inn is a real homely boozer with extremely friendly staff and about a million lovely dogs in residence. They even have their own pooch sofa in one of the bars.

The room we played in sounded really good. I used my GT Core as preamp into the effects return of my Veyron. It really does produce a great sound. Tidy and tight and nicely in the mix.

Unfortunately I am still awaiting any news of payment from the BL and there was virtually no one there to watch us.

We're out again this evening. Hopefully better things await.

As much as I love playing my bass, I can do it for free to nobody quite happily in my room at home.

Edit:

Payment came through via bank transfer - the hold up was the band NOT the venue. Don't want to slander a lovely pub .

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Wet and windy wilds of  Wiltshire yesterday. The Woodbridge Inn is a real homely boozer with extremely friendly staff and about a million lovely dogs in residence. They even have their own pooch sofa in one of the bars.

The room we played in sounded really good. I used my GT Core as preamp into the effects return of my Veyron. It really does produce a great sound. Tidy and tight and nicely in the mix.

Unfortunately I am still awaiting any news of payment from the BL and there was virtually no one there to watch us.

We're out again this evening. Hopefully better things await.

As much as I love playing my bass, I can do it for free to nobody quite happily in my room at home.

Sadly they just don’t seem to promote any bands that play there, not what I’d consider properly at least,  I’ve tended to promote when we’ve played there as I live locally and posted on local notice boards etc - it’s a shame really because we’ve had some good nights in there, despite the location being a bit middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

Friday night was St. Patrick's day lunacy with beer spilt on monitors, pedalboards (not mine I don't use pedals of any description) and a bent mic stand which surprisingly failed gto stop a 16 stone punter hitting the deck.

Saturday night was Dormans Club (ex British Steel works club) a place I could use the two new girls again, in safety.

Suffice it to say Friday night's gig was more rewarding in dancing punters than Saturday nights.

336534295_765959314726658_4457150910256869591_n (2).jpg

• Like 9

Well, it was Cheltenham race week for me. Normally I do 6pm till midnight for five nights on acoustic and vocals, on an upstairs/downstairs rotation with two other guys in the first pub next to the race course. But since the whole nearly dying of covid thing, I can’t do that anymore, so I was on bass this year and only did three shows a bit further into town. The first two were standard race week stuff, just fighting off utterly hammered, red-faced, tweed clad muppets demanding oasis for every. Single. Song. 
But last night was a birthday party in a local pub and was just lush from start to finish, one of my fave gigs of the year. Plenty of space for me, no muppets crashing into me (ok, one did take a tumble over the foot lights, but only one), I had a great sound in ears and had great fun locking in with the drummer. Top night. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 9

After a traumatic week at work being made redundant I needed a good night out and some cheering up. This did the trick nicely. We sacrificed all musical integrity and pumped out an evening of rocky crowd pleasers in a sports bar type pub local to me. Dance floor full from 30 seconds in. Opened with She Sells Sanctuary and didn't put them down until Killing in the Name Of.. as the 4th encore. A week of extremes for me - on the floor on Tuesday and high as a kite by Sunday morning.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, karlfer said:

Friday night was St. Patrick's day lunacy with beer spilt on monitors, pedalboards (not mine I don't use pedals of any description) and a bent mic stand which surprisingly failed gto stop a 16 stone punter hitting the deck.

Saturday night was Dormans Club (ex British Steel works club) a place I could use the two new girls again, in safety.

Suffice it to say Friday night's gig was more rewarding in dancing punters than Saturday nights.

Got the same rig. Only pedal you need is a tuner (in my case). Good stuff!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, karlfer said:

What are those aerodyne basses like?

3 hours ago, Mudpup said:

After a traumatic week at work being made redundant I needed a good night out and some cheering up. This did the trick nicely. We sacrificed all musical integrity and pumped out an evening of rocky crowd pleasers in a sports bar type pub local to me. Dance floor full from 30 seconds in. Opened with She Sells Sanctuary and didn't put them down until Killing in the Name Of.. as the 4th encore. A week of extremes for me - on the floor on Tuesday and high as a kite by Sunday morning.

Sorry to hear you got made redundant but hopefully the gig cheered you up a bit.

Hope you get another job soon.

All the best

Dave

• Like 3

One of our regular venues in The Cave, Paisley Glasgow tonight 6-9pm. with the punk covers band Emergency Exit.

Not overly busy but always a good enthusiastic crowd.

Good feedback with sound engineer from another Glasgow venue saying the bass tone was amazing with plenty of low end and the top end really cutting thru the mix allowing the Les Paul guitar to sit right in the middle of the mix. 

Another guy has seen our Glam covers band 3 times and when he heard we were playing in Glasgow he cancelled another gig to come along and see us. I was quite chuffed with that.

Used my P bass first set but wasn't entirely happy with it. Combination of wider neck and string spacing meant i was making a few mistakes so went back to old faithful Sandberg MarloweDK.

I was using the P bass at home all week too but its different at gig pace and standing up so a little bit more work is needed on it. Not 100% sure i like the P bass tone for some of the more aggressive songs. It lacked clarity in the top end but it was ok and i would try again next gig.

Have to admit the Sandberg just wins hands down in the punk band.

Dave

• Like 7

7 hours ago, markbunney said:

What are those aerodyne basses like?

Negative.

The P neck dives a little however my inner arm is over the body when playing and this negates most of that slight issue.

I'm not keen on the look of the Jazz's tone/vol controls.

Positives.

Both are quite light, I love the simplistic no scratchplate look especially with colour matching headstock.

12" board radius is great and sets up beautifully, torque adjustable tuners, MOP effect markers, medium jumbo frets  (don't like like narrow tall).

The BIG thing is the new "vintage voiced" pickups are FAR superior to any on the previous model Aerodynes I have owned/played. These basses sound excellent (to my taste) with no effects & flat EQ.

Very impressed with them, great package but I'm not sure the P is long term simply because of nut width. We'll see.

Played a multi band St Pat's event in Bristol yesterday. 

Chaotic as these things often are we ended up going on late, no set up time so played by Braille. Couldn't hear anything beyond the vocals and we were pulled early so that the band after us didn't have to finish late 🤷🏻‍♂️

Still, I got paid and got home in reasonable time. 

• Like 5

Yellow Arch Studios in Sheffield on Friday night. We've never been here before but it's a cool venue, you'd probably get 200ish in the room, great stage, PA etc. Crazy Arm were on first, not heard of them before but they were all exceptional players. We (Headsticks) went on 2nd and absolutely smashed it. People were going crazy from the off. 40 minutes of non stop drumming and I was soaked. We have a song called "Naked" and it's about the emperor's new clothes and being lied to by politicians, but for some reason, sometimes people strip off to it. Friday night a regular fan of ours apparently stripped totally naked, went mad in the mosh pit, banged his head, and got kicked out by security. I didn't see any of this but a few people confirmed it after the set. Can't wait to see him at a gig soon :)

Shanghai Treason were on after us, who were great at sound check, and I feel terrible 'cos they're all lovely people, but I spent their set catching up with a good friend who lives in Sheffield and I never get to see him. I hope that's not earned me a black mark!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, karlfer said:

Negative.

The P neck dives a little however my inner arm is over the body when playing and this negates most of that slight issue.

I'm not keen on the look of the Jazz's tone/vol controls.

Positives.

Both are quite light, I love the simplistic no scratchplate look especially with colour matching headstock.

12" board radius is great and sets up beautifully, torque adjustable tuners, MOP effect markers, medium jumbo frets  (don't like like narrow tall).

The BIG thing is the new "vintage voiced" pickups are FAR superior to any on the previous model Aerodynes I have owned/played. These basses sound excellent (to my taste) with no effects & flat EQ.

Very impressed with them, great package but I'm not sure the P is long term simply because of nut width. We'll see.

Thanks. I used to have the all black aerodyne jazz bass and loved that, so have been looking into these new ones.

We played at Boscombe Rec Club, it is where we rehearse for free and part of the agreement is we give them two gigs a year for free, it's a shame to see a recreation club so poorly supported by their members, I'm sure it if we to close there'd be uproar.

Not overly busy but the few that were there seemed to appreciate us, a fairly early finish was welcome.

• Like 6

Saturday night in Heckmondwicke at Westgate 23 for In Isolation and Gothzilla.

Small band room at the back of the pub that normally puts on punk gigs, but someone who knew our drummer from when he used to be in Every New Dead Ghost recommended us. We were a little bit worried that with it being an unknown venue in a small town we might end up playing to the drummer's friend and Gothzilla's manager, but it seemed as though every vaguely alternative person in Heckmondwicke and the surrounding are had turned up, so there was a good crowd.

Vocal only PA meant that I had to use my RCF powered cab for FoH bass (these days it only really gets used for rehearsals), but it coped perfectly well, and although I was louder than I preferred on stage, I could still properly hear all the other instruments, which has been a problem in the past when I was using a conventional bass rig for the audience to hear the bass.

Next weekend's gig in Bathgate has unfortunately been cancelled, so nothing now until 30th when Ex-Superstar, In Isolation, Gothzilla and Feather Trade play in London.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Next weekend's gig in Bathgate has unfortunately been cancelled, so nothing now until 30th when Ex-Superstar, In Isolation, Gothzilla and Feather Trade play in London.

What's the band name. Why was the Bathgate gig cancelled. Its just 30mins from me and a great venue. Assuming its Bathgate in Scotland of course.

Dave