Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Belting night at The Globe in Cardiff. Top quality skanking support from Tattsyrup, an excellent FOH sound from the house engineers, good crowd up and dancing from the 'g' of go, went mental for everything we played. Fresh strings on the Shuker, played through the full Genz+Nemesis rig, sounded utterly beautiful.

Great gig in east London last night, nothing particulaly special about the gig itself, played the venue a LOT, same old gear ('73 Jazz/Orange/Ashdown).
It was just one of those times when everything just clicks, great tone, felt free in my playing, the whole band was nailing it.......loved it :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1032064' date='Nov 21 2010, 11:12 PM']It was just one of those times when everything just clicks, great tone, felt free in my playing, the whole band was nailing it.......loved it[/quote]
Yup, couldn't have put it better myself. Oh how i love times like those. :)

Had a bit of a technical nightmare on Friday. Current gig is on guitar, but just hear me out anyway. We were band 2 of 4, so no soundcheck, bit of a rush to set up, very dark stage. Plugged in my lovely Fryette head, turned it on to warm it up all good, went about setting up pedals, no problems. I don't have that much crap to plug in, just TU2>Wah>Tubescreamer>Flanger>Delay>Noisegate>Amp. That was fine, had tuned the guitars during the first band's set, plugged in and went to take the amp off standby. No power light. I quickly checked it was securely plugged in at the back. Yes. Made sure it was securely in the plugboard. Yes. Was the power in the plugboard? Yes. sh*t, had I blown a fuse in the amp? Managed to find another IEC cable and plugged it in. On came the power light. Thank f***. OK, let it warm up, took it off standby, started playing. Sounded a bit quiet. I had checked the ohm rating of the cab before I plugged in and adjusted the amp to suit. Still very quiet. Bugger. Made sure the pedals were all securely connected, they were. Clock was ticking. I bypassed the pedals, straight into the amp. There it was. OK, quick check, reseated everything, made sure the power supply for the pedals was properly plugged in, it was. I played again, it finally sounded like it should. At last. Then, a horrible "something electrical is dying" sound... maybe it's the battery in the wah, which wasn't powered off the mains. Even though it was a reasonably new battery I took out the wah, everything sounded fine. I wa still concerned by the power disappearing from the amp but OK, let's start the show. Halfway through the first song, the amp went silent. Hadn't time to troubleshoot, the power light was still on, so I just plugged straight into the amp from the guitar, started working again. It'll do. Got through the rest of the set without any more shenanigans. One of the best crowd reactions we've had, too.

I tried plugging the amp in on Saturday using the same IEC lead and plugboard... it worked. I've no idea what happened with the power. Turns out a planet waves lead was behind the lack of volume and then the bizarre electrical noise (which was fine before the gig, I always check everything at home the day before) and that's most likely why the sound died. Still, such dramas make you appreciate the times when everything runs smoothly.

Fantastic gig last Friday at The Library, Leeds, oncemore at the 360 Club. Absolutely packed out, great crowd response (and resulting free drinks), but more excitingly, twas filmed for BBC Introducing and recorded for BBC Radio Leeds. Can't wait to see the footage! A camera phone photo may have to suffice for the time being:

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1032209' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:33 AM']Had a bit of a technical nightmare on Friday. Current gig is on guitar, but just hear me out anyway. We were band 2 of 4, so no soundcheck, bit of a rush to set up, very dark stage. Plugged in my lovely Fryette head, turned it on to warm it up all good, went about setting up pedals, no problems. I don't have that much crap to plug in, just TU2>Wah>Tubescreamer>Flanger>Delay>Noisegate>Amp. That was fine, had tuned the guitars during the first band's set, plugged in and went to take the amp off standby. No power light. I quickly checked it was securely plugged in at the back. Yes. Made sure it was securely in the plugboard. Yes. Was the power in the plugboard? Yes. sh*t, had I blown a fuse in the amp? Managed to find another IEC cable and plugged it in. On came the power light. Thank f***. OK, let it warm up, took it off standby, started playing. Sounded a bit quiet. I had checked the ohm rating of the cab before I plugged in and adjusted the amp to suit. Still very quiet. Bugger. Made sure the pedals were all securely connected, they were. Clock was ticking. I bypassed the pedals, straight into the amp. There it was. OK, quick check, reseated everything, made sure the power supply for the pedals was properly plugged in, it was. I played again, it finally sounded like it should. At last. Then, a horrible "something electrical is dying" sound... maybe it's the battery in the wah, which wasn't powered off the mains. Even though it was a reasonably new battery I took out the wah, everything sounded fine. I wa still concerned by the power disappearing from the amp but OK, let's start the show. Halfway through the first song, the amp went silent. Hadn't time to troubleshoot, the power light was still on, so I just plugged straight into the amp from the guitar, started working again. It'll do. Got through the rest of the set without any more shenanigans. One of the best crowd reactions we've had, too.

I tried plugging the amp in on Saturday using the same IEC lead and plugboard... it worked. I've no idea what happened with the power. Turns out a planet waves lead was behind the lack of volume and then the bizarre electrical noise (which was fine before the gig, I always check everything at home the day before) and that's most likely why the sound died. Still, such dramas make you appreciate the times when everything runs smoothly.[/quote]

Sounds like Fibbers? Dodgey power in that place. Seen something similar a few times in there.

My gig last night was one that I said no to a few days earlier because it was like a drunken childcare facility the last time I played it. This time - aside from two guys in their 20's wrestling in front of the band, I had to wait for a half hour after we finished playing to wait for the drugged up idiot to stop trying to kick his way through the front door. Here's a guy that got thrown out before our break and literally spent to the next 90 minutes trying to kick the front door in. My guess was PCP.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1032792' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:04 PM']We played there twice in the last few weeks without problems :)

This one was in Kildare :)[/quote]
:lol: Never had that in the Phoenix myself!? Were ye on the bill with Spitting Bones? Ragin I missed that session, heard it was savage.

[quote name='Mog' post='1032801' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:12 PM']:) Never had that in the Phoenix myself!? Were ye on the bill with Spitting Bones? Ragin I missed that session, heard it was savage.[/quote]

Is everyone else enjoying imagining this conversation complete with accents?

[quote name='Mog' post='1032801' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:12 PM']:) Never had that in the Phoenix myself!? Were ye on the bill with Spitting Bones? Ragin I missed that session, heard it was savage.[/quote]

That's the one, yeah it was a very enjoyable night, apart from the aforementioned dramas. It was my first time seeing Spittin' Bones, really enjoyed their set.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1032811' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:16 PM']Is everyone else enjoying imagining this conversation complete with accents?[/quote]I'd understand if one us had said "Top o' the mornin" or "To be sure, to be sure, to be sure"...

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1032876' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:55 PM']I'd understand if one us had said "Top o' the mornin" or "To be sure, to be sure, to be sure"...[/quote]

Sorry guys, no offence intended. I have a mate from dublin, and he does an impression of a tipperary accent that amuses me greatly.

How was my gig last night? A bit of a 'mare on my part, certainly the first set when I played like a complete & utter lady's front bottom :)

Crowd enjoyed the night as a whole and the second set was much better, but boy was I having troubles in the first. I suppose 'cos the r/h last week went really well, I was loose, but tight with the drummer (if you know what I mean) and got all the fills & fiddly bits right.

Tonight (IMV of my performance) OMFG - as da yoof have it.

Basses sounded really nice where I was, which was a plus.

Ah well. Shower, pit & SEBB tomorrow bright & early, so something to look forward to

Edited by WalMan

am feeling a few attendances down just lately..which is sad as the band then gets off to a slow start and it is only when the second set kicks in that we really get going.

I would say we stormed the place in terms of that set, but we could have done with a few more people.
It is tough atm..!!!

Lost the final of the battle of the bands last night by one point. Oh well. The winners were a really good originals trio, very polished and they'd seriously thought about their songwriting with regard to their line up. At no point did I, or anyone I spoke to, think, they could have done with another guitar or a keyboard on that one etc. They just tipped the voting by slipping in a really funky version of Voodoo chile, their only cover of the night. (Can't beat the old favourites)

I was using their bassplayer's Trace 500 head and a 1x15 cab. I used to use a TE rig and then moved to Eden for about 4 years and now, onto a Markbass 3x10 due to weight and have been really happy with it however, last night, I really found it a welcome change to be back on TE gear. So easy to get a great sound. Quite nostalgic. Although it wasn't me that had to load it into a car afterwards so maybe it was just selective memory.

Still, a great night all round.

Aw man, that sucks. I presume the rest of you will be 'having a word' with her at some point?

Our gig last night was a good one -- a xmas bash for a load of prison staff. Very swish do at a flashyy venue, easy to see where our tax money is going. :) What economic crisis? Still, it was good for a 'corporate', they were up and dancing all night and even wanted a bunch of encores. And i bumped into an old mate i'd lost touch with, a really good drummer i played with some years back. So that was a nice bonus.

[quote name='Rich' post='1039755' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:28 AM']Aw man, that sucks. I presume the rest of you will be 'having a word' with her at some point?[/quote]

I don't know what's going to happen, we're all pretty angry. Also it turned out our old trombonist actually made it to the venue, he was going to surprise us all (he had to leave the band at the end of the summer when he moved to Banbury) so it would've been great to catch up with him, but no... Quite angry!

[quote name='Rich' post='1039755' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:28 AM']...........

Our gig last night was a good one -- a xmas bash for a load of prison staff. Very swish do at a flashyy venue, easy to see where our tax money is going. :) What economic crisis? Still, it was good for a 'corporate', they were up and dancing all night and even wanted a bunch of encores. And i bumped into an old mate i'd lost touch with, a really good drummer i played with some years back. So that was a nice bonus.[/quote]

Talking about taxpayers money...

Have done quite a few for a local army base Sgts mess.. and they can lay on one hell of a spread.
God knows what an Officers mess function is like....

Sometime ago, admittedly..!!

Quit the band last night. Played a social club in a small village near Stansted airport. Normally I really look forward to a gig but last night all I could think of beforehand was that it would pay for a new set of strings.

The band have been p*%%*ng me off for some time and last night was typical - guy with the PA was late as usual, so a rushed sound check, the drummer and guitar player changed things around at random, the singer called one song and started another, then broke a string on his acoustic and didn't have any spares, etc etc etc. It being the coldest night of the year didn't help and there were about 15 people there including the bar staff.

So at the end, I took my money, said thank you very much, and left. And immediately felt so much better. Should have done it ages ago.

No gig last night, but 2 outdoor ones friday night, with different bands at the same venue. Both just half hour sets. So bloody cold I couldnt work me fingers, only about 30 people, but apreciative ones for the first one.

Between the 2 there was an acoustic folk duo, which more or less cleared the streets. As the second one is just a loose lineup anyway, I let the other guy take over and went down the pub, noboy left watching by then anyway.

Edited by Slipperydick