Why become a member? ×

Bands who don't bring any backline...

StevieC

Afternoon All

Excuse the rant but what's with bands who turn up [b]without[/b] their own bass amps, guitar amps and drum kits??? We're playing another gig tomorrow night with three other bands. The promoter told us earlier this week asking if it would be OK if the two bands on before us could use our backline, as they didn't have any.

As it goes, we don't mind, but how do these people practice or gig on their own? Is their own gear so bad that they daren't show it in public? Or is it that they just can't be bothered? Don't they care how they might sound?

The last time we turned up for a gig, the band billed before us didn't even know if we would be bringing any gear with us. What did they think they were going to do?

Lots of questions but here's to a good gig tomorrow night - with my very own gear!! :)

End of Rant...

StevieC

[quote name='witterth' post='758390' date='Feb 26 2010, 05:04 PM']very often "can they use your gear?" questions are retorical ones, IME.[/quote]

I've said no before. Playing with a crappy emo/hardcore punk band once and the guys asked in advance could they use my amp and cab and I said no. I aint entrusting my expensesive electronics to someone who is potentially a hamfisted imbecile!

Common practice over here is the most local band supplies the backline. Bands just bring cymbals, pedals, snares. Guitar heads optional. There are a few who don't want people using they're gear but thats up to them. I've no problem with people using my gear as long as they understand overloading/clipping etc. Lots of other bassists are shocked if, after breaking a string mid song, I give them my streamer whilst I restring their bass. Usual response is " man I'd never let anyone play my warwick if I had one! " That statement comes up a lot. Wonder if any would return the favour??

I'd probably let someone use my cab at a push, but not the amp and definitely not the bass!

When people turn up to gigs with no gear, expect to use mine and find themselves without any gear to use, that's their look-out...

You wouldn't turn up at a pub with no cash and expect beers for free would you? (it'd be nice though!)

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='758389' date='Feb 26 2010, 05:04 PM']Sharing ....the bass amp makes sense on a multi band night for quicker change overs.

I'd expct guitarists to bring their own amps though.[/quote]

Sorry.....whats the difference? lol

Si

I had this cobblers on Wed night and was not popular when I said they could use my amp, after giving me a £500 cash, refundable deposit, against any damage.
Been on the receiving end of somebody busting my amp (he pushed it forward, it fell over, taking out 3 rotaries). He accompanied that with a shrugged "Sorry mate".
It's mainly greedy/inexperienced promoters trying to get too many bands on at one time.
And too many bands desperate to gig at any cost.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='758389' date='Feb 26 2010, 05:04 PM']Sharing drums (minus snare & tinware) and the bass amp makes sense on a multi band night for quicker change overs.
But I'd expect to ask/be asked first.
I'd expct guitarists to bring their own amps though.[/quote]

+1

but with the addition that if guitarists can be persuaded to share amps as well then that make the change over even quicker.

I have this very problem next weekend - I'm trying to get the schedule together for a charity bash. We've got two support bands, a guitarist/singer and the headliners (us) and the timing is tight. The five minute changers are helped by the fact that the two support bands have agreed to share guitar amps as well (they are sort of familiar with each other, which helps). Fortunately we are both organising and headlining it, so if it overruns then we take the hit and cut our set.

Obviously from an organising point of view it would be easier to have fewer acts, but of course each band brings its own followers and so means more money for the charity (Leukemia Research)

Personally I'll lend my kit to most people and let people have a go, but then its not expensive stuff so I don't feel the need to be precious about it. I must admit that I'm a bit more wary with my anglo concertina (not so much because its worth a lot more, but because it is more easily damaged), but even then am happy to let most people have a (supervised) go.

Edited by Count Bassy

At local gigs (the gigs i've played at when i was 15/16) then it was common practise for there to be a backline n you just change the drum pedals, cymbals n snare.

Saves a lot of hassle changing stuff about, but i would expect that all to be sorted before the night.

Oh n add to that, i'd say that people might not have loud enough kit to use for gigs so they have to borrow it otherwise they can't be heard.

Edited by ash_sak

When I was in a touring band with either old Peavey or Ampeg cabs, I had no problem letting people use them, and appreciated being able to use other people's so we could travel in one car. But since I got a GK Neo and now TecAmp S212, I drive myself to every gig and no one uses my gear but me, too expensive to replace. I understand the transport or turnaround reasons, and tha's fine, but if you don't own a giggable amp you shouldn't be gigging.

With only limited experience here, but most of the venues up here have house backline which makes things nice and easy. The one venue I've played at where there isn't such a thing, I've let the other bands use my rig, but it's a bit of a PITA - I can't relax, watching them like a hawk for the slightest suggestion of a drink being placed on top of it! I MUST be asked, never had to deal with it yet but anyone who just assumes it's OK to plug into my rig without my permission will be tersely told that's not on.

Plus you've got to take the damn thing to the venue and home again. I prefer venues with house gear - Johnny Punter isn't going to notice whether I am plugging into my rig or anything else because a lot of the time it's DIed into the venue's PA system. I just turn up with a bass and play. As long as I can hear myself on stage then I'm cool with that.

Gear shares are pretty common place from a lot of shows I've done and it doesn't bother me. I'm with Mog in that the local band brings a backline. Ultimately you can say no though. More recently I've been playing bigger gigs and we're not doing the kit share.

Last time I had another band use my amp / head was Wilko Johnson and I'm hardly going to say no to Norman Watt-Roy!

Ultimately though, if it's your gear it's your say.

I'm happy to share my amp, done it a couple of times, but then it only cost me around £150, and I've shared other's on many occasions without causing them any grief. My guitard is generally also happy to share his Marshall head as long as he's happy that the guy borrowing it knows what he's doing with it.

Every gig I've done there's either been a house backline or some sharing going on. As long as everything's well communicated in advance then everyone at least knows where they stand.

When this doesn't happen and bands just turn up expecting to use other's gear is when problems start, and stuff gets annoying.

The worst thing is when a band says they'll let people borrow gear and then do a U-turn on the night, just leaves everyone up a certain creek without a certain essential rowing implement.

[quote name='karlfer' post='758415' date='Feb 26 2010, 05:17 PM']I had this cobblers on Wed night and was not popular when I said they could use my amp, after giving me a £500 cash, refundable deposit, against any damage.[/quote]

I understand if perhaps someone wouldn't take no for an answer coming out with something like this to shut them up. However we've had bands go on like this from the very beginning, and it's just not on - a straight no is always preferred, and from my bands at least, respected.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='RussFM' post='758482' date='Feb 26 2010, 06:30 PM']I understand the transport or turnaround reasons, and tha's fine, but if you don't own a giggable amp you shouldn't be gigging.[/quote]

Most amps are giggable at a pinch - I did a load of gigs when I were a nipper wi' nowt but a 30 watt Laney Linebacker. It really was rubbish, but bass can be DI'd and guitar cabs are likely going to be mic'd anyway. You cant hear each other but you get by. If the sound engineers no good it probably makes no difference anyway. :)

Obviously, thats if theres a full PA. Without one, youre stuck.

Nowadays, if I knew the venue had decent foldback, I could imagine turning up with just a decent DI box. Thats if I had a DI box of course.

EDIT: oh, and a band. Pretty essential, that.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='StevieC' post='758380' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:56 AM']Afternoon All

Excuse the rant but what's with bands who turn up [b]without[/b] their own bass amps, guitar amps and drum kits??? We're playing another gig tomorrow night with three other bands. [u]The promoter told us earlier this week asking if it would be OK if the two bands on before us could use our backline, as they didn't have any.[/u]

As it goes, we don't mind, but how do these people practice or gig on their own? Is their own gear so bad that they daren't show it in public? Or is it that they just can't be bothered? Don't they care how they might sound?

The last time we turned up for a gig, the band billed before us didn't even know if we would be bringing any gear with us. What did they think they were going to do?

Lots of questions but here's to a good gig tomorrow night - with my very own gear!! :)

End of Rant...

StevieC[/quote]

Hi StevieC.

Have you seen this relevant thread?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76099"]Some people are unbelievable.[/url]

Gary

I generally find that in most gig situations, the bassist is generally the least likely to bring any gear, so bassists that are really into their gear have to suffer for the laziness of others/

Generally if it is organised beforehand I don't have a problem with providing cabs or on some occassions an amp/combo, especially if annother band is bringing a kick drum, guitar cab etc, it seems only fair.

But generally once you are gigging with bands that are supposed to making a go of being a 'proper' band, I would expect bands to at least bring their own heads, drum breakables, snare drum, guitars and drum sticks.

I have no problem with bands/bassists I know and trust using my cabs and even my head at a push. But there are unfortuantely so many bassists that are so clueless about gain and the issues of clipping that handing them a valve preamp is about as safe as handing them a shotgun...

It can get annoying, if you spend your money/make yourself broke by buying a really nice amp, but at a gig bands show up with nothing and essectially say that they have to use your amp or else the gig can't happen! Everybody else gets the benefit of using your nice amp, without having to spend any money whatsoever. Generally with planning and organisation you can try to avoid it, but it does happen quite a lot in my experience.

My most annoying parts of gigging are this though

1. Being asked to provide a backline for all the other bands except the headliner on a 4 band bill, but your band are on first before anybody arrives.
2. When you are headlining, a support band will turn up, use your gear and then leave without so much of a thank you or staying to at least hear you play.
3. People not bringing their own gear, but feel the need to complain about your gear
4. People saying that they have no transport and thus couldn't bring their own gear even though they live round the corner and could fit it in a taxi, much in the way that you had to fit your 1x15 combo into the back of taxi, but had to pay £10 as you live further away.
5. Other bassists getting their girlfriends to ask me if they (the boyfriend) can use my gear, on the basis presumably that I will be so smitten with the girl that of course I will say yes they can use my amp!

[quote name='thodrik' post='759192' date='Feb 27 2010, 03:35 PM']1. Being asked to provide a backline for all the other bands except the headliner on a 4 band bill, but your band are on first before anybody arrives.[/quote]

+1.

As it happens, the gig organiser has bumped us up from second on the bill to third as a 'sweetener'. Practically speaking, i'm glad my Phil Jones amp has two channels. Channel 1 is set up to my requirements, and channel 2 can be used by the other bassists, set as they want.

As I say, I don't mind other bassists using my gear, but I can't imagine ever turning up for a gig without my amp in the hope that someone else has;

a. Brought one.
b. Is willing to let me use it.

My lad plays in pubs etc around London and they are rarely allowed to use their own gear.

Its very often down to the poor perishers who are top of the bill to allow the other bands free use of their gear. The drummers take their own snare, pedal and cymbals. The band do have their own backline but as they are usually early in the bill have to use what's already on stage. A couple of last-on acts have said 'no', no-one seems to mind, just means a lot of shifting about before they come on.