Why become a member? ×

Bands who don't bring any backline...

StevieC

[quote name='thodrik' post='759192' date='Feb 27 2010, 03:35 PM']My most annoying parts of gigging are this though

2. When you are headlining, a support band will turn up, use your gear and then leave without so much of a thank you or staying to at least hear you play.
3. People not bringing their own gear, but feel the need to complain about your gear
5. Other bassists getting their girlfriends to ask me if they (the boyfriend) can use my gear, on the basis presumably that I will be so smitten with the girl that of course I will say yes they can use my amp![/quote]

ALL OF THESE!

but most of the time im happy to share cabs

Nope, sorry it aint happening, you could be gods gift to bass, but if you think you are going to walk up to me on the night and use my rig when I dont know you from Adam you can f*** right off.

I've done it before and I could not give a monkeys if I seem like a git for it. Buy some kit, a few hundred quid will get you started, so start saving monkey boy. In the mean time try some practicing too. Once you've got a rig together, then you can go getting a gig IMO.

At the nights I run, we have hard and fast rules about this.

Want to to use your bass amp but not let anyone else use it? You can get a gig somewhere else, because we don't want you. If bands can't be nice to each other and share, then they haven't got the right mindset for a DIY night.

And we're not greedy promoters - we never take a penny out of our nights.

Here are the Rules of Duel:
[url="http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=173394714&blogId=516965889"]http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...logId=516965889[/url]

On the other hand, we only put on bands who know what they're doing with gear!

[quote name='dangerboy' post='764085' date='Mar 4 2010, 04:14 PM']At the nights I run, we have hard and fast rules about this.

Want to to use your bass amp but not let anyone else use it? You can get a gig somewhere else, because we don't want you. If bands can't be nice to each other and share, then they haven't got the right mindset for a DIY night.

[url="http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=173394714&blogId=516965889"]http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...logId=516965889[/url]

On the other hand, we only put on bands who know what they're doing with gear![/quote]

This is the common experience. Not sure where the other people play.

[quote name='thodrik' post='759192' date='Feb 27 2010, 04:35 PM']1. Being asked to provide a backline for all the other bands except the headliner on a 4 band bill, but your band are on first before anybody arrives.
2. When you are headlining, a support band will turn up, use your gear and then leave without so much of a thank you or staying to at least hear you play.
3. People not bringing their own gear, but feel the need to complain about your gear[/quote]

Im actually gritting my teeth
These 3 things are my absolute pet peeves

Nobody uses my stuff anymore, I had some cheeky git ask to use my pedal board once 'only for the tuner caus mines broken...'
Yeh right, I went through my bag found a battered qwiktune handed it to him.

If he had said to me 'mind if I quickly tune up before I go on me tuners busted' I wouldnt of minded but am I going to let him stomp all over 300 quids worth of pedals and board?
Hell no.

[quote name='Sibob' post='758407' date='Feb 26 2010, 05:12 PM']Sorry.....whats the difference? lol

Si[/quote]

Bass players seem to be considerate souls on the whole who know how amps work and which buttons to press, etc.

Guitarists on the other hand...................

[quote name='dangerboy' post='764085' date='Mar 4 2010, 04:14 PM']Want to to use your bass amp but not let anyone else use it? You can get a gig somewhere else, because we don't want you. If bands can't be nice to each other and share, then they haven't got the right mindset for a DIY night.[/quote]

It's a different thing. Making arrangements to share kit in advance is one thing. The ranting in this thread is about people who turn up without their amp, assuming that they'll be able to borrow someone else's. That's disrespectful.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='764099' date='Mar 4 2010, 04:26 PM']It's a different thing. Making arrangements to share kit in advance is one thing. The ranting in this thread is about people who turn up without their amp, assuming that they'll be able to borrow someone else's. That's disrespectful.

S.P.[/quote]

My previous post was connected with prior arrangements & again Saturday's gig is a kit share with other bass players using my rig; but yeah it would wind me up if somebody just assumed. I hate bad manners

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='764099' date='Mar 4 2010, 04:26 PM']It's a different thing. Making arrangements to share kit in advance is one thing. The ranting in this thread is about people who turn up without their amp, assuming that they'll be able to borrow someone else's. That's disrespectful.

S.P.[/quote]

Yep, fair enough, tons of difference. As far as my lad's band is concerned its always agreed in advance at least so all know what to bring.

[quote name='thodrik' post='759192' date='Feb 27 2010, 03:35 PM']I have no problem with bands/bassists I know and trust using my cabs and even my head at a push. But there are unfortuantely so many bassists that are so clueless about gain and the issues of clipping that handing them a valve preamp is about as safe as handing them a shotgun...[/quote]
This sadly is not just "local bassists"
I once did a bike festival , and the night after I played , my mate played and supported a ' name ' bassist , and a couple of others . My mate has the same Eden head as me , and the pro turned up , and proceeded to turn up the gain to such an extent that the amp was clipping madly .
My mate ran on stage , turned the gain to half , and turned up the master , to give him the volume increase he was after .
I mean this guy could have either damaged the amp , speakers , or both .
I guess numerous world tours , writing for mags , having articles about you , account for zilch when you don't understand the very basics of an amp .
So even if you think the person using your gear knows what they're doing , no knows how to be careful like you do .

[quote name='E sharp' post='764469' date='Mar 4 2010, 09:09 PM']proceeded to turn up the gain to such an extent that the amp was clipping madly .[/quote]

Just being a pedant here but what's wrong with that? It's the preamp that will be clipping (some would say producing a nice overdriven valve preamp sound) - not the power stage.

[quote name='M4L666' post='764468' date='Mar 4 2010, 04:09 PM']I'm never allowed to use my own gear. I've also played gigs where I'm not allowed to EQ :/[/quote]

Perhaps a [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/characterseries.html"]VT Bass Deluxe[/url] would be useful?

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='764688' date='Mar 5 2010, 06:05 AM']Perhaps a [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/characterseries.html"]VT Bass Deluxe[/url] would be useful?

[/quote]

One of the many reasons I bought my Boss GEB7 was venues that didnt allow eq or were running tight 5 min change overs and you dont get enough time to, its easy to bend down for 20 seconds of the first song and play with it.

I had no problems with people using my Carlsbro 1x15 combo, i was made of sturdy stuff and simple to use. My new GK rig though is far from simple (it has no less than 5 volume controls) and through the 2x10 I'm using, it's pushed fairly hard so I don't think I'd trust people not to blow it up. I might have a re-think in a couple of months when I get another 2x10 but for the moment no one else uses it.

If people turn up to a gig without an amp though, not a problem. I'm going to start taking my £20 DI box with me just in case. If they have a problem with that, maybe it'll inspire them not to be so damned lazy in future.

Most of the gigs my band plays, the stage is big enough to put a few amps in front/on top of each other so they're just left set up and taken off at the end of each set.

And for the discussion earlier about guitar amps not being shared, I see the issue more as valve amps rather than specifically guitar. Solid states are just more sturdy IME so there's less risk involved in lending them out.

I have to ask.... what is the attraction of these gigs..?
The tone coming over is that they sound a PITA..!!

Who is going to enjoy a fraught evening worrying about some ( potential ) idiot/idiots on your gear..?

Two crucial rules in 99% of gigs. It needs to be fun and you need to get paid, otherwise forget it.

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='764688' date='Mar 5 2010, 05:05 AM'][/quote]

Drool!

I have the SansAmp Programmable BDDI with an XLR cable and M/F converter for gigs with no amp - which has got me out of a sticky situation on more than one occasion.

My most regularly-gigging band often does the 4- or 5-band nights on the usual London circuit. The general rule of thumb for me is headline act brings backline. they need to soundcheck first and play last, so it makes sense they bring the gear. If they don't bring an amp (or won't let me use it), I'll DI, and pray for decent foldback. If they do bring an amp and let me use it, they get beer and sweets.

This is a big problem I have when playing gigs - for example last Friday:

I turned up with my amp after being told to bring my own rig. I get there and it turns out that I don't need to use my own rig and I can use the rig of the bassist in the band headlining. Conversation went like this:

Me - Well I've bought my rig now so I might as well use it
Bassist in headlining band: There is no need because I've got 400w on tap here and you won't need any more than that
Me: I can use my rig on stage and take it off before your band goes on
BIHB: You won't be able to move it all off in 15 mins (!) and that will take part of our set away so you are being unfair to the crowd and to us as a band
Me: It definitely won't take more than 15 mins
BIHB: Just use my rig mate and save yourself the hassle
Me: (Here comes the trump card) So I guess its OK to mess around with your amp settings to get the sound I want?
BIHB: No, I'd prefer you to not mess with my settings
Me: So I have to use your rig and play with settings I don't like because you don't think I can get my amp off stage in 15 mins?
BIHB: Well yeah

I ended up using my rig. I use an Epifani head and BFM Omni which is a great combination. I worked hard to afford my gear and the least I can do is be able to use it at gigs and get the sound I want. I don't want to play through gear (no offence to anyone) that cost less than mine and may not be able to get the sounds I want. Its twats like this bassist that make gigs a pain in the arse, no wonder so many bands don't bring amps because they want to avoid the arguments that come from it.

If you are headlining, expect to provide the backline. Unless a venue can't organise a piss up in a brewery like the place I played.

Edited by Stan_da_man

Someone said that "bassists in general know what they're doing with gear" - that's really not the case. I've had some total retards use my bass amp. I've also found that no matter how loud and clearly you tell them how to use it, they will ignore what you've said. I let people use my rig, but only because I know it has protection in so it'll cut out on them before it dies.

[quote name='M4L666' post='764468' date='Mar 4 2010, 09:09 PM']I'm never allowed to use my own gear. I've also played gigs where I'm not allowed to EQ :/[/quote]

ARRRGH How can people tell you what to use?

That happened to me once, at a battle of the bands. We were a 3 peice and the other bands were 4 peices with two guitars. I was allowed to use my own bass amp, but....wait for it..... I wasn't allowed to use my guitar combo for the bi-amp rig because the other bassists didn't have one!!! Yeh, they have guitarists instead, but that doesn't matter, you have to have sh*t tone.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='764085' date='Mar 4 2010, 04:14 PM']At the nights I run, we have hard and fast rules about this.

On the other hand, we only put on bands who know what they're doing with gear![/quote]

That is a different thing altogether though, isnt it.

That would be a case of upfront organisation of time and resources, not some prat turning up on the night with no kit and no idea what to do with decent kit, who you dont know from Adam asking for a loan of your gear, who will just shrug his shoulders if his actions in any way damage said gear.

I would expect you to be willing to provide some recompense if some oik in band A broke or stole kit from band B and did a runner though, since you are insistant on these conditions. After all you force this to be an issue. You do offer this dont you? Otherwise I wouldnt want to be playing a gig you set up anyway.

Course I probably wouldn't be playing in the venue, since you probably wouldn't be liking any of the bands I play with, no doubt we arent hip, cool and down with the kids enough for you :)

How about you provide quality backline for everyone, always, and take the hit if things go pear shaped. I assume you are happy doing this, and therefore you must be vetting the people who use this equiptment in some way (even if they are just mates). If not, and something gets trashed by some little swine who then hightails it out of dodge leaving you none the wiser, I really feel for you. My attitude comes from this happening to me a couple of times. Think what you like, it's an attitude that has served me and my kit very very well ever since.

It's a completely different kettle of fish if the people in question are close friends, everythings been organised and arranged up front and you can be sure that should some accident happen they definitely will help you get things sorted (financially as much as anything) and will take responsibilty for any problems they cause. I'm putting on a gig with just such a set up, and yes all my and my son's kit will be used by other people that night. But I know every single person involved very well, so it just isnt an issue.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='764897' date='Mar 5 2010, 10:57 AM']If you are headlining, expect to provide the backline.[/quote]
If I am headlining, I will expect to provide the backline if it's arranged in advance. Otherwise, unless I know you personally or you are a good friend of a good friend, forget it. This has been my policy ever since the last time I lent my rig to a support on the spur of the moment... went in to watch them halfway into their set, only to see the EQ clip and output limit lights on my Eden head pretty much permanently illuminated.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='764897' date='Mar 5 2010, 10:57 AM']...
BIHB: No, I'd prefer you to not mess with my settings
Me: So I have to use your rig and play with settings I don't like because you don't think I can get my amp off stage in 15 mins?
BIHB: Well yeah

I ended up using my rig.[/quote]

Hah, brilliant. What a loser.