Why become a member? ×

Bands who don't bring any backline...

StevieC

Ive had this before....and I have lent my 'old' amps and cabs out before....but none of my new high end gear.

I would possible lend a cab to someone who looked like he knew what he was doing. I wouldnt lend an amp unless it was a friend and I set up the gain etc for them.

I would never lend a bass....unless I had an old one I wasnt so bothered about.

My backup plan is always take a Sansamp....so if you cannot for any reason take an amp, at least you have a pretty good PA sound.

Let's face it, if you want 'your' sound when you play live you have to use your own rig.

I found this out the hard way..

My previous band was booked to play a major gig in a city square here, which was also due to be broadcast live on national TV. It was part of an annual charity event and consequently there were 4 or 5 bands due to play. We were assured by the organisers that there was no need to bring our own backline as 'professional level' gear would be provided.

Now, call me pedantic but I don't call some tiny 1 x 10 '100w' Hartke combo really up to the job... :) Especially as the material I played required the use of 5-string bass droptuned to low A!

To counteract some of this negativity.
I have never had a problem with another band and equipment. I always make sure it's sorted well in advance. I mark my amp settings with a little mark of corrector pen so I can reset them in a jiffy if someone else is using them.
If we're not on last I plan the stage set up so I can be off in a couple of minutes.
It helps that we seem to share bills with bands who are normally sensible people and just want to get on with it with minimal fuss like us.
Apart from Wayne of course. Nightmare......... :)

[quote name='thodrik' post='759192' date='Feb 27 2010, 03:35 PM']1. Being asked to provide a backline for all the other bands except the headliner on a 4 band bill, but your band are on first before anybody arrives.
2. When you are headlining, a support band will turn up, use your gear and then leave without so much of a thank you or staying to at least hear you play.
3. People not bringing their own gear, but feel the need to complain about your gear
4. People saying that they have no transport and thus couldn't bring their own gear even though they live round the corner and could fit it in a taxi, much in the way that you had to fit your 1x15 combo into the back of taxi, but had to pay £10 as you live further away.
5. Other bassists getting their girlfriends to ask me if they (the boyfriend) can use my gear, on the basis presumably that I will be so smitten with the girl that of course I will say yes they can use my amp![/quote]

This happens to us (me) a lot!

I lent my old combo out to bands, just to be nice while we started, but our band is trying to get somewhere so we've spent a lot of time earning to money to buy some good gear and I don't want people using my stuff!

On the other hand I've busted my balls to get my Warick rig to gigs in my tiny Rover to be told "we have an amp here" for me to look across at a tiny 1x15 combo that's falling apart!

If you can't afford/can't get your rig to a show you shouldn't be playing that show. The money you pay us wouldn't cover my gear if some oik busted it.

[quote name='matski' post='765007' date='Mar 5 2010, 12:19 PM']Now, call me pedantic but I don't call some tiny 1 x 10 '100w' Hartke combo really up to the job... :) Especially as the material I played required the use of 5-string bass droptuned to low A![/quote]

:rolleyes: Sorry but that made me giggle. Mainly because I can relate.

I agree with your whole post though. Many of us have spent over £1000 on a rig, none of us have spent that much because we're happy using the next guy's 100w 1x10 combo. Similarly, none of us have spent that much so that the guy with the 100w combo can sound amazing without spending a penny.

I've lent out my gear loads of times and have no problems doing it if I trust my gear's sturdy enough to take a bashing and I trust the bassist using it not to give it too much of a bashing. Underlying fact though is that it's my gear and I'll do with it what I want.

And I've NEVER played a gig where the promoter has said "you cannot use your amp", I've played ones where they've said that they would much prefer it if I use theirs, but they've never forced me to (though because I'm a nice guy, unless I have a real problem with the provided amp, I'll use theirs).

[quote name='matski' post='765007' date='Mar 5 2010, 12:19 PM']Now, call me pedantic but I don't call some tiny 1 x 10 '100w' Hartke combo really up to the job... :) Especially as the material I played required the use of 5-string bass droptuned to low A![/quote]

I would call it very reasonable for Poland! I played countless gigs without amps, or with a 15W Laboga combo! Trust me Hartke is god send :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' post='764917' date='Mar 5 2010, 12:11 PM']This always gets the audience's attention, IMHO.[/quote]

Not when you adjust your setlist for such venues!
Whenever we did these gigs we started with a song that just had 4 bit open E's for the first 20 seconds on bass.

Looks quite cool crouching to play them then jumping up for the song coming in.

Or maybe im just a showboater!

[quote name='throwoff' post='765143' date='Mar 5 2010, 02:03 PM']HAHA

I think I might well buy one of these -

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fullers_unilock.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fullers_unilock.htm[/url][/quote]

I like your style sir!

[quote name='throwoff' post='765166' date='Mar 5 2010, 02:18 PM']How good would it be the first time someone tried to plug in without asking you first and just stood there dumbfounded[/quote]

I pop the fuses out of the back of the amp. Same result :)

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fullers_unilock.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/fullers_unilock.htm[/url][/quote]
Brilliant! :rolleyes:

[attachment=44178:Hartke_inputs.jpg]

Oh bugger. :)

Is that a disco ball finish? Cooool.

I'm due to order various small bits anyway, that could be a nice addition. :) Would certainly do the job (1 input and a pad button wins 2 inputs. :rolleyes: )

Thinks whilst walking stagewards "Ha Ha that sorted them......key...sodding key.......where did I put it....not in here..ahh here it is....NO, NO, NO..... that's the door key....Oh Sh.."

On multiple original band gigs, gear sharing is often encouraged to make life easier for the soundman and to make change overs quicker. This makes sense, as almost always on these gigs, each band will play for only 30 mins or so, almost certainly to an audience of no more than three people. On many occasions I have lugged my 4x10 and other gear down my garden path and into the car, only to arrive at the venue to discover a bass amp has been provided by another band who are happy to share. Then my kit has to be loaded in to the venue anyway, so it doesn't get nicked from the car. Then it has to be loaded back into the car and back into my house. I don't want to come across as an idiot by insisting that I use my own kit, as it's set up for "my sound, man" and given the almost inevitable short set played to three people scenario mentioned above, I'm really not bothered if the sound isn't exactly what I want. I've often turned up with just a bass and if no amp is provided I'll just go direct. This approach saves a hell of a lot of hassle particularly as these gigs are almost always unpaid and you have to finish work at 3.00 to get to the venue for 5.00 to hang around doing nothing until 7.30 when the sound man decides to turn up. Whenever I've turned up without an amp, there's always been one for me to use.

Edited by arthurhenry

I hate people using my rig and try to say no, but am just a big soft muppet. I ALWAYS make em use a compressor though, even if it means going through my pedal board, its my cabs i worry about more, and ill never afford new ones if they blow em.

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='765409' date='Mar 5 2010, 05:15 PM']On multiple original band gigs, gear sharing is often encouraged to make life easier for the soundman and to make change overs quicker. This makes sense, as almost always on these gigs, each band will play for only 30 mins or so, almost certainly to an audience of no more than three people. On many occasions I have lugged my 4x10 and other gear down my garden path and into the car, only to arrive at the venue to discover a bass amp has been provided by another band who are happy to share. Then my kit has to be loaded in to the venue anyway, so it doesn't get nicked from the car. Then it has to be loaded back into the car and back into my house. I don't want to come across as an idiot by insisting that I use my own kit, as it's set up for "my sound, man" and given the almost inevitable short set played to three people scenario mentioned above, I'm really not bothered if the sound isn't exactly what I want. I've often turned up with just a bass and if no amp is provided I'll just go direct. This approach saves a hell of a lot of hassle particularly as these gigs are almost always unpaid and you have to finish work at 3.00 to get to the venue for 5.00 to hang around doing nothing until 7.30 when the sound man decides to turn up. Whenever I've turned up without an amp, there's always been one for me to use.[/quote]
I can relate to that a lot - I usually never ask about if there will be an amp at the venue anymore because there always is an amp.

The 'if you are a headliner expect to provide backline' bit kind of annoys me as in my experience

a) if you are headlining there is always some guy that is totally clueless that is going to misuse your gear
:) if you are not headling, the headlining band will be against other people using their gear, due to reason (a).

I think 'if you are headlining be prepared to let people use your cab' is a better deal. People can bring their heads and change overs don't take very long.

It becomes more problematic when people are using combos, but they are by definition much easier to move so change overs shouldn't really suffer.

Good organisation with promoters and other bands can get you pretty far in avoiding backline duplication, but for me there is nothing more annoying than people never getting in touch/replying to messages before the gig who just turn up expecting to have an amp provided for them.