Why become a member? ×

For sale subforum - shouldn't people have to put their location up?

XB26354

After a recent spate of ads for sale here on Basschat that have no indication, either in the ad itself or in the user avatar of the seller's location, isn't it about time it was compulsory, just like a price? There's nothing worse than seeing a lovely bass for sale, only to find out after enquiring that it's several hundred/thousand miles away! I know that you could possibly search introductions but there have been quite a few posts by users not from these shores who have either just joined without a proper intro or who are inactive. There's nothing wrong with a distance transaction in principle, but unless you're dealing face to face or are known here it's not unreasonable to suspect a scam. Given the sums that basses can go for it's at least a courtesy to let prospective buyers know where you are.
What do you think?

[quote name='XB26354' post='757560' date='Feb 25 2010, 08:49 PM']After a recent spate of ads for sale here on Basschat that have no indication, either in the ad itself or in the user avatar of the seller's location, isn't it about time it was compulsory, just like a price? There's nothing worse than seeing a lovely bass for sale, only to find out after enquiring that it's several hundred/thousand miles away! I know that you could possibly search introductions but there have been quite a few posts by users not from these shores who have either just joined without a proper intro or who are inactive. There's nothing wrong with a distance transaction in principle, but unless you're dealing face to face or are known here it's not unreasonable to suspect a scam. Given the sums that basses can go for it's at least a courtesy to let prospective buyers know where you are.
What do you think?[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='pete.young' post='757652' date='Feb 25 2010, 10:11 PM']I think it's time for the "x posts before you're allowed to sell anything" debate again.[/quote]

Agreed.

Apparently it's a really f*cking stupid idea. I started a thread in the Amps For Sale bit a few weeks ago, suggesting that the topic sub-heading would be a good place to put your location, since it usually just gets left blank (or the title gets repeated for some reason). I'm in Edinburgh, which is a long way away from most of the amps & cabs for sale, most people won't consider posting something that big, so I thought it would be useful to be able to see at a glance where things were.

The consensus appeared to be that it was a stupid idea - and it plainly was because no-one's done it. Maybe I was just being a bit dim asking, having been here for a while I should realise by now that pretty much everything's in Bristol.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='757798' date='Feb 26 2010, 02:16 AM'].... suggesting that the topic sub-heading would be a good place to put your location, since it usually just gets left blank ([/quote]

Sounds like a really good idea to me.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've looked at an item that says collection only and then has no location info.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='757801' date='Feb 26 2010, 02:19 AM']I think you can get a bit more specific than that. If JoeGarcia hadn't just carted 5 basses and 6 amps off to the studio it would all be within 20 feet of me right now.[/quote]
QED.

Let me know when Joe's back, I'll jump in the van & pop down to rob you. :)

J.

[quote name='pete.young' post='757652' date='Feb 25 2010, 10:11 PM']I think it's time for the "x posts before you're allowed to sell anything" debate again.[/quote]

Definitely.

I also think the rules need to be simple and clear (as they are now, more or less) otherwise there's the "TB risk".

Agreed, when I joined the forum and had a combo for sale I think it was Hamster who pointed out that adding location would be beneficial!

I wonder if there is a way that all the posts in Bass and Amps&Cabs could have a template so when you start a new topic you'd have a mandatory fields like price, location, postage cost, description, photos etc...

[quote name='XB26354' post='757560' date='Feb 25 2010, 08:49 PM']After a recent spate of ads for sale here on Basschat that have no indication, either in the ad itself or in the user avatar of the seller's location, isn't it about time it was compulsory, just like a price? There's nothing worse than seeing a lovely bass for sale, only to find out after enquiring that it's several hundred/thousand miles away! I know that you could possibly search introductions but there have been quite a few posts by users not from these shores who have either just joined without a proper intro or who are inactive. There's nothing wrong with a distance transaction in principle, but unless you're dealing face to face or are known here it's not unreasonable to suspect a scam. Given the sums that basses can go for it's at least a courtesy to let prospective buyers know where you are.
What do you think?[/quote]

Not a bad idea. I'll take it up with my fellow mods.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='757896' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:20 AM']Agreed, when I joined the forum and had a combo for sale I think it was Hamster who pointed out that adding location would be beneficial!

I wonder if there is a way that all the posts in Bass and Amps&Cabs could have a template so when you start a new topic you'd have a mandatory fields like price, location, postage cost, description, photos etc...[/quote]
There's a similar system in place on www.sevenstring.org- they have a sticky thread with the template on it and ads that don't comply are deleted.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='758003' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:13 AM']There's a similar system in place on www.sevenstring.org- they have a sticky thread with the template on it and ads that don't comply are deleted.[/quote]

I brought up a similar idea and used 7string.org as a benchmark, but the general consensus was that people couldnt be bothered.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='758032' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:36 AM']I brought up a similar idea and used 7string.org as a benchmark, but the general consensus was that people couldnt be bothered.[/quote]

What if it was mandatory to post a new thread! If someone can't be bothered than what's the point of selling in first place? Maybe some sort of a search that when you put your postcode in it will show a location, ie N22 = Haringey, North London!

I don't think there is a function to FORCE people to do it, and I certainly don't want to ask the mods to ask every single person who doesn't comply to adjust their adverts! Good idea though... perhaps Phatmonkey can tell us if it's technically possible.

ped

[quote name='JackLondon' post='757896' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:20 AM']Agreed, when I joined the forum and had a combo for sale I think it was Hamster who pointed out that adding location would be beneficial!

I wonder if there is a way that all the posts in Bass and Amps&Cabs could have a template so when you start a new topic you'd have a mandatory fields like price, location, postage cost, description, photos etc...[/quote]

I like that - good idea. Though I'm not sure photos should be mandatory for those selling something cheap and rather nondescript, like used strings or cables. There's not much a photo would add to a description really.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure any of it should be mandatory, but a template would at least remind everyone of the information required and point out that if the info isn't there they're much less likely to get a sale.