Why become a member? ×

Gearstalkers

Pete Academy

[quote name='3V17C' post='756896' date='Feb 25 2010, 11:40 AM']yeah i'm a 'gearstalker' too.. and also I tend to judge a band on the quality/brand/level of gear they have before I've heard them play a note.... any one else guilty of this?! c'mon.. own up!! (my assumptions on said bands are normally correct though it must be said!!)

peace

c[/quote]

I find it to be a very good way of working out the quality of the band also...Although sometimes I'm surprised, for better....and for worse occasionally :)

I've had plenty of 'Pedal Spotters' at gigs. They are usually interested in the Singlecut
or the 6 string,and I get alot of comments if I use my pedal board.
I always get comments when I'm playing my electric upright.

The funniest ones are those who hover half way up the room,and occasionally point
and whisper,followed by a quick air guitar rendition.

I suss every piece of gear the moment I walk into the room-not in a stand at the front of a stage staring
way.I just take a good quick look as I walk past the 'stage'.

[quote name='Higgie' post='756938' date='Feb 25 2010, 12:13 PM']I find it to be a very good way of working out the quality of the band also...Although sometimes I'm surprised, for better....and for worse occasionally :lol:[/quote]

I think this is part of why I have an inverted snobbery when it comes to my gear - my aim on the whole is to use the cheapest stuff that will get the job done. I'd far rather someone see my cheapo "beginner's" bass, expect me to be pretty useless and then be surprised by my prowess than raise expectations with flashy gear only to disappoint them when I start to play. :) In reality, of course, the vast majority of people won't notice or care in the slightest what I use anyway.

It's not just that, though - apart from a generally anti-consumerist mind-set, it's also the straightforward, non-inverted snobbery of looking down on any overt display of wealth or possessions as appallingly vulgar. :rolleyes:

(no disrespect to those pros / semi-pros whose "posh" gear is their livelihood)

<edited to make myself sound slightly less of a prat :lol: >

Edited by Earbrass

.................Steps forwards, unzips anorack, holds up hand................Yes & i'm not ashamed!
I like when it happens to me, makes a change to be noticed although i always feel happy to go unnoticed, makes me feel like i've done my job properly & i've played well.
The usual attention/talking point concerns if i've switched the LED's on my Alembic & i get the ''Cor that looks flash mate, how much did that cost?'' but i tend not to have them on that often, depends on the stage lighting or if the rest of the band ask me to, it does feel a bit cheesy some times.
My most recent comment was at a gig where the guitarists had half stacks & i had my MB & 1X15 traveller & the guy commented how the bass really cut through well, he thought i had brought my practice amp! I just couldn't be arsed to lug my 4x10 in the rain, so did the load/unload in one trip.

[quote name='Marvin' post='757302' date='Feb 25 2010, 05:06 PM']I've tried this approach but on occasion failed miserably. :)[/quote]
Here's How:
[list=1]
[*]Move along side wall of venue until level with the front of the stage. Turn through 90 degrees
[*]Raise your hand and wave, as if to someone across the room
[*]Proceed smartly across the front of the stage, continuing to wave.
[*]Keep your head pointed forwards at all times while [i]swivelling your eyes [/i]to track the gear. Moving your head is the mark of the hobbyist.
[*]If someone on stage notices you, ignore them. If challenged, produce a card bearing the following words:
[/list]
[font="Courier New"]"I cannot speak. Barbary pirates cut out my tongue. Can I have a go on your bass, mate?"[/font]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='757331' date='Feb 25 2010, 05:29 PM']Here's How:
[list=1]
[*]Move along side wall of venue until level with the front of the stage. Turn through 90 degrees
[*]Keep your head pointed forwards at all times while [i]swivelling your eyes [/i]to track the gear. Moving your head is the mark of the hobbyist.
[*]If someone on stage notices you, ignore them. If challenged, produce a card bearing the following words:
[/list]
[font="Courier New"]"I cannot speak. Barbary pirates cut out my tongue. Can I have a go on your bass, mate?"[/font][/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Ich Bein Ein NERD!

Can´t help looking at what gear is lying around at a gig. And I dont mind talking gear if another ´gearstalker´ asks me about any of mine if I´m playing.
with my main band:
the drummer just about knows his name,
the guitarist doesn´t own any of her equipment (amp, Strat and pedals are all mine!) and hasn´t the foggiest when it comes to gear.
And the singer, oh, the singer... (how do I make my mic work?)
Amazing musicians and lovely people, just totally geartarded.
Lets leave it there shall we :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='757331' date='Feb 25 2010, 05:29 PM']Here's How:
[list=1]
[/list]
[font="Courier New"]"I cannot speak. Barbary pirates cut out my tongue. Can I have a go on your bass, mate?"[/font][/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I can't stop laughing

[quote name='Dubs' post='756871' date='Feb 25 2010, 11:03 AM']I've reached the point in my band where I've stopped talking about gear because it became a running joke where I'd turn up to practice with a new head almost every other week. They think I'm the ultimate gear slut, but I know I'm not as bad as some on here :rolleyes:[/quote]

See that... thats me that is... :)

I will always check out the gear on stage, but keep it discreet. I'm not one for talking gear with others much, but will talk the talk with someone who approaches me as I don't want them thinking I'm that ignorant arse in the band - that's the singers job.

Love the term 'Gearstalker'!

[quote name='3V17C' post='756896' date='Feb 25 2010, 11:40 AM']yeah i'm a 'gearstalker' too.. and also I tend to judge a band on the quality/brand/level of gear they have before I've heard them play a note.... any one else guilty of this?! c'mon.. own up!! (my assumptions on said bands are normally correct though it must be said!!)

peace

c[/quote]
I think that everyone does that.... including punters!

[list=1]
[/list]

:) :rolleyes: :lol: I nominate this post for the 'BASSCHAT POST OF THE YEAR' Award!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I reckon I have it down within 50ft of a stage, scarily down to mic choice as well, but I'm a bit of a PA nerd, soI will go check out th Sound guy's kit more than any bass stuff (which is SO predicatble).

It certainly is no indication of the quality of the band, IME

Guilty as charged m'lud.........
I enjoy the anticipation of checking out the gear and then trying to figure out how it will sound.
Love it when the gear is nothing special but the band sound great,( and even more when there's sh*tloads of
fancy kit and the band make it sound rubbish!) The drumkit is often a good indicator of this too - nice small kit
= great player / massive kit with assorted perc etc = horror!
A mate of mine who I used to be in a band with used a standard Squier Strat- you could see punters checking it out to see
if it was a 'real' Fender and then tutting. Of course when he played it was amazing.He's just one of those players
who can make anything sound wonderful.

Most gearstalkers I ever encounter is when I use my Hohner B2A - 'whats that then mate' etc. You can see them a mile off -
they always want to know where the strings attach and how to tune it.