Why become a member? ×

Gearstalkers

Pete Academy

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1360779935' post='1976421']
Yes, I have never been that impressed with PRS guitars, tonally. But the top end ones are one of the ultimate 'flash your cash' guitars, so if you're the kind of person who solves most dilemmas by throwing money at the most expensive option they will appeal. Despite sounding pretty run-of-the-mill.
[/quote]

My mates CE 22 is the best sounding guitar I've heard, also has great hardware - really nice trem / graphite nut / locking tuners. I guess it would cost £2000 ish in todays money but thats not too outragious IMO. I paid similar money for my status, Id rather thave one good instrument than a couple of "OK" ones from the main big brands.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1360850358' post='1977346']
Id rather thave one good instrument than a couple of "OK" ones from the main big brands.
[/quote]

Of course, it's just that most 'OK' brand guitars will make a PRS sound positively lacklustre (as would an objective listener, I suspect). Take something from the top end of a brand like Ibanez, Charvel, Vigier etc etc and that will show you what a good guitar sounds like! :lol:

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1360761659' post='1975969']
If I see a guitarist with a PRS and MesaBoogie, I tend to roll my eyes in disgust. There goes somebody who has gone into their average high street music shop and bought the most expensive stuff they had... and convinced themselves it sounded good.
[/quote]

Haha, you know that I know that you know who this is ;) :D twidly didly dee, adjust pots and repeat.......

I tend to spot gear at gigs, but don't huddle around people.

Most interesting thing I saw at a gig was a modulus Funk Unlimited in blue sparkle, the guy was kind enough to let me have a go on it too. Since then I've had gas for that.

Usually a lot of other bassists ask me what my bass is, after seeing it and look confused with my answer too.

I usually role my eyes at bassists who bring two of the same instrument with one being a 5'er the other a 4'er, because the 5 can't do what the four can..............
Guitarists too who bring more than one guitar, it's ok if one is acoustic or something and it's been sound checked and doesn't feedback at every chance.
Also role my eyes at people bringing 4x12 stacks to the local dive for the worlds smallest stage, and the bassist still roles up with his/her combo.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1360871318' post='1977770']
because the 5 can't do what the four can..............
[/quote]

:lol: .
As good a reason as any, I guess.

Me, I'm the gearstalker par excellence, I suppose.

One of the best presents I ever got was when my wife came home after a trip to another country, and just said "JX-8P" and "PG-800" :). (These are a Roland synth and its programming unit.)

Used to bring everyone to madness when we would watch TV, and I'd go: "That's a 421! Classic stuff! Did you know it has ... " (a Sennheiser MD-421 that is; not a nice-ish cab ... er ... pecabulator).

Have always tried to not bother band members or staff IIRC, except once, asking about their Lexicon (sp?) and TC reverbs when a band was completely set up before a gig, and were just using up time walking around. Got a very friendly and informative lecture about the whats, hows and whys.
Bought the TC, as it was a LOT cheaper :).

Ref: Websters' dictoinery. :lol:

best,
bert

Some folks take an interest in my Sei single cut at gigs - some get string blindness and assume as it's an unusual body shape that it's obviously a 'six string' - while it's only ever been a 5 - I've had some people even comment "is that a Sei, I've never seen one, can I touch it etc..." depending on how nice or nutty they look I usually let them try it... sometimes not!

Personally I spot pedals and laptop/software stuff... all in the name of research obviously :)

Edited by urb

Having a Dingwall is a magnet for gearstalkers, especially when they've never seen fanned frets before. I had a bloke at a wedding a few weeks ago, I noticed him squinting at the bass all through the first set, then in the interval he sidled up and started a conversation; he was in a band, etc, etc, and I could see he was dying to talk about the Dingwall, but he was fairly drunk by this time and didn't want to look like he didn't know what he was on about. I was doing something else at the time, too, so I was able to string him along a bit:
GS: "....and so we play this sort of stuff too. Nice bass, by the way."
Me: "Thanks"
GS: "Is it hard to play?"
Me: "No, it's very light. About seven and a half pounds."
GS: "Right, right. And the, erm..."
Me: " The pickups? Very strong - it's passive, but it's as strong an output as any active I've had."
GS: "No, the whole....erm..." (starts to gesticulate up and down the neck)
Me: "Hmmm?"
GS: (clearly giving up) "Why are the frets all wonky?"

:)

Had a girl come up on stage and said she was hypnotised by our keyb players fast fingers...???
what to say about that..!!!

Our gtr has probably 3 PRS gtrs and I asked him what was it about them and he said it does every sound style he wants
and he is a strat guy. Since he always sounds good, that is fair enough.

The best amp on a gig recently was a 'vintage' AC30..but it lasted 6 weeks before breaking down.

I don't think a bad player will get a sound out of any gear anyway.
If it sounds good, it is allowed, IMO.

I can't recall the last better than average bass sound I heard, tho...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1361099958' post='1980944']
Had a girl come up on stage and said she was hypnotised by our keyb players fast fingers...???
what to say about that..!!!

[/quote]

I once played Didgeridoo at a local on Australia Day. A lady came up to me afterwards, first commenting on the girth of the didgeridoo, then commenting on my circular breathing, not too subtly insinuating that it might come in handy in a more .. ahem... intimate setting!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1361117063' post='1981265']
then commenting on my circular breathing, not too subtly insinuating that it might come in handy in a more .. ahem... intimate setting!
[/quote]

Sorry, RR, but not all of us are as erudite as you. Could you please explain in more detail what you are in fact alluding to here? It boggles the mind.

On another note, just like your genius sig, it again confirms my thesis on how people can be classy without class. :lol: ;)

Oh, and pics, please!

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1361118865' post='1981306']

Sorry, RR, but not all of us are as erudite as you. Could you please explain in more detail what you are in fact alluding to here? It boggles the mind.

On another note, just like your genius sig, it again confirms my thesis on how people can be classy without class. :lol: ;)

Oh, and pics, please!

best,
bert
[/quote]

Let's just say that she requested a private recital; a continuous and prolonged drone, preferably with crescendo, on her bagpipe.

No pics. She was devoid of class, and my girlfriend (now wife) was ten feet away watching with amusement.

Just left a Gearstalkers' paradise at The Animals with Steve Cropper's last night, in Morecambe, Lancs. of their UK leg of this tour.

2 x 335's, an old off white & battered Precision, Cropper's custom Peavey Tele, 2 x Marshall Bluesbreakers (belonged to the support band "The Stumble" who are excellent btw, bought one of their CDs and would definitely see them in their own rite, as did also a very nice CAR Tele, rosewood board - but you can't have everything) Peter Barton's new Ashdown with 8 x 10" - and Danny's (who owns the 335s) cream AC30. Stumble's bassist had a copy Jazz but I couldn't make out the logo & he was too mackied to ask when I saw him.

I saw a few of the punters trying to date the Gibson's screwing their eyes up behind the headstocks in the gloom.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1361145385' post='1981963']
....Stumble's bassist had a copy Jazz but I couldn't make out the logo & he was too mackied to ask when I saw him.....
[/quote]

He was playing a Sadowsky Jazz when I saw them at the Isilington gig.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1361146128' post='1981972']
He was playing a Sadowsky Jazz when I saw them at the Isilington gig.[/quote]

Thanks, I did wonder, the Mrs said she could see an "S" at the beginning & it obviously wasn't a Squier, a Schecter.......... or a Satellite :lol: