Why become a member? ×

First/current gigging rig

ThomBassmonkey

1984, Early 70s Ricky 4001 through a Vox Venue 100 bass combo. Arion distortion for those fuzzy moments. Sounded the DBs!
2010: EMG-equipped Thunderbird or Status S2 through Ampeg SVT3, Dod bass distortion, Boss CS3 stereo chorus, Boss DD3 Delay.
Thats my entire "rig" for 90% of my playing, but I'll stick in the odd pedal or 2 from my collection as and when the gig/session requires.
My sound hasn't really changed much in the intervening 26 years, I know what I like/am good at/can get away with and I'm sticking to it :)

First rig, in about 1980, was a Selmer Treble & Bass 50w head & matching 2x12 cab (about £30 from a charity shop) plus a home-made 1x12 bass reflex cab. My dad helped me make that & I wish I still had it. Wouldn't want the Selmer (it was sh!te) but they do fetch a few quid these days. At that time I had a shortscale no-name JapCrap LP-shaped bass, bought off a schoolmate for £50, which was actually half-decent. I did a fair few rehearsals with that lot but don't think I ever gigged it - as soon as I got in my first serious band I got a Washburn B-20 Stage series (lovely but incredibly neck-divey) and an HH VS Bassamp 100w 1x15 combo, which had a control panel that lit up green in the dark - epic stuff!

These days I have a Gallien-Krueger RB700 1x15 combo & have jut got a Hartke 2.5XL to sit it on:

[attachment=66973:GK_Hartke_rig.jpg]

And an assortment of elderly JapCrap & slightly odd basses to plug into it.

Jon.

circa 1978 - unbranded P-bass, through a red 4 channel FAL PA a speaker amp, into a 1x15 cab. Bought a celestion speaker and made the cab!

circa 2010 - Fender CS sea foam green Jazz or MM stingray 2005 buttercream, Fretless Fender deluxe jazz thru a Matamp GT200 with 1 or 2 Matamp 4x10's, Boom!

Tony

First gigging setup was a 2nd hand Yamaha (one of the BB range I think) through a Peavey TNT 150, mint amps, wish I still had it! Then "upgraded" to an Ashdown MAG 300 2x10 combo (which was worse, and a lot quieter than the TNT!), then got an SWR rig and a Spector 5 string. Still gig with the Spector, but play it through a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and a Barefaced Compact, good times!

First gig set-up (1984):

Aria SB 'Black & Gold I' and Fender JV Precision > Boss chorus, flanger, octaver and MXR phaser stompboxes > Carlsbro Cobra 90 combo.

If you check out my sig, you will notice I still have all of this gear - apart from the sh*tey Carlsbro. Yes, I am a gear hoarder :)

Current gig set-up:

usually StingRay 4 or StingRay 5 > Digitech BNX3 > Ampeg SVT3 Pro + Ampeg 410 & 115 cabs.

First gig?

1975 – Avon EB3 copy > [url="http://www.chambonino.com/work/work1.html"]Linear Conchord[/url] 30w valve amp > 2 by 12 sealed cabinet. Awful.
1976 – Second incarnation: Sound City 120 > home made reflex 1 by 18 cabinet. Big and heavy but it worked pretty well. Wilson Rapier bass.
1977 – Third incarnation: Sound City 120 > SAI 2 by 15 cabinet.
1978 – Fourth incarnation: H||H VS 1 by 15 combo. Shergold Marathon fretted
1980 – Fifth incarnation: Marshall Superbass 100 > Fender 2 by 15 Dual Showman. Shergold Marathon fretless.
2007 – Sixth incarnation: Eden Nemesis NC115 (240w @ 4Ω, 1 by 15 plus tweeter)
2009/10 – Seventh incarnation: Eden WT550 > Barefaced Super Twelve T

First:
Höfner Artist II -> Phoenix PHA1 amp -> Custom Sound 4x12 cab

Current:
Shuker custom/Status S1/Wal Pro IIE -> Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 -> 2 x Nemesis 1x15 cabs

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='744933' date='Feb 14 2010, 04:24 PM']Hofner Artist Bass

I wish I still had the Hofner.

HOFNER ARTIST BASS
[/quote]
I've still got mine.
I get a big nostalgia rush every time I pick it up. My goal is to finally make it giggable again, it's got that fabulous 'woof' in the sound that you only get from clunky short scale 60s basses. I also need to get hold of a replacement plastic logo for the headstock, but the last one to appear on fleaBay went for £62... :)

• 4 months later...

I promised this about a year ago. Anyway, here it is, Burns Flyte with WEM Dominator c.1984. The jumper I can neither explain nor defend. Current rig is LMII with Barefaced cab, usually with a Jap Precision.

[attachment=78634:earlywem_001.JPG]

Edited by deaver

My first rig was a Peavey International Series Dynabass (cracking for a first! Even though I've destroyed the neck and truss rod with Billy Sheehan type antics, it still plays and sounds great! :)), direct into a Laney R5 2x10 combo.

Current rig is in my sig :)

Epiphone thunderbird through a fender rumble 100 combo. - 4-5 years ago
Fender Jazz through a bass pod pro, through the same rumble 100 combo. - Today

Still searching for a new amp (It's a bit of a wallpaper paste amp thisun) but my project bass is coming in way over budget so it's been put off for a while.

Kind of wish I still had the thunderbird though, it had a nice boomy sound and played ok sat down. I stupidly decided to sell it to a friend cheaply because he wanted to start playing, on credit at the time and he took ages to pay, saw he'd sold it on ebay a few months later, w***er.

Edited by Ross

First "proper" setup in the early '80s was:

Westone Thunder 1
Acoustic 120 head
Acoustic 404 1x15 cab.

The 120 went up in smoke during a rehearsal sometime in the mid '90s, and was replaced with a Carlsbro TC60 all-valve head. Sounds gorgeous, but runs out of steam at all but the smallest of pub gigs, so I've added a Hartke HA2500 amp.

Still going into the Acoustic 404, and still using the Westone - I love that bass !

I brought my first rig from the proceeds of 3 years of summer jobs working on my Grandfather's market garden in Kent. My rig was a Nashville 60 watt PA amp and a Crook 412 cab. The bass was a Framus Star Bass. I know, you've never heard of them, but believe me it was the best sound I'd ever heard!!

See my sig for current rig(s).

This thread highlights how much GAS I've had in the last year. :)

I've stuck with GK but I've moved on from the 700RB-II and two 210RBHs to the 2001RB-II and two 410RBHs then downsized a bit with a more compact rig in the MB Fusion and two NEO212s (still got the 2001/410 rig for bigger gigs).

My bass has changed from the 406QM to a Warwick Thumb BO5 to a Sandberg JJ5 and now I'm using a Sandberg MM5 (with the JJ5 as backup).

First Rig:
Burns Sonic Bass
Korg VCF Pedal
Amdek Chorus Pedal
No name 100W transistor head
1x18" cab (from a reggae sound system)
2x12" cab (home made)

Current Rig:
Gus G3 5-string bass
Bass Pod XT Pro
Linn Adrenalinn
Tech Soundsystems Black Cat 1kW amp