Why become a member? ×

First/current gigging rig

ThomBassmonkey

I'm probably going to be selling my first proper giggable amp over the next couple of months so it's made me all nostalgic because I've had it for so long, I thought it could be interested to find out what other people first gigged with. Could be interesting to see what people use now for some comparison of how your tone started and how it is now.

My first decent upgrade was my Ibanez BTB406 into a Carlsbro Bassline 80 combo. Upgraded to a Bassline 150 shortly after since the 80 just wasn't powerful enough for practices (and obviously not in that case for gigs), had that 150 for close to 9 years though and it only let me down once (in a practice fortunately).

Currently just upgraded to a GK rig (700RB + 210RBH) and the same BTB406, but will over the next couple of months probably be getting a Warwick or MM (still not decided yet, it could be something completely different).

First gigging rig?
That'll be a Tanglewood Rebel (not the 4k-the old style with painted neck and headstock and slimmer
body) into a Trace Elliot Commando 100.

Currently I'm using a Genz Benz Neo-Pak into a Bergantino HS410 with a choice of Basses-usually
a Shuker Singlecut 5 at the moment.

.....And I've still got that Tanglewood.

No name hand painted (Humbrol paints usually used on my Airfix kits :)) 335 style semi acoustic with the pickup and controls on a kind of floating scratchplate thing ....
Loudness was provided by a "Baker" kit-built 30 watt valve head into a home made 1x15 cab lined with very scratchy loft insulation.

My first giggable rig was a Peavey Fury IV into a Peavey TKO 115. The bass has been untouched since I got my Stingray at the end of 2006, and is now gathering dust at my parent's house.

The combo lasted a while longer, but I steadily grew more and more sick of its limitations, not to mention its weight! As soon as I could afford it I got myself a tasty rig - bought a Little Mark II last May, swiftly followed by an Aguilar GS112. Upgraded that to a GS212 back in October. I've pretty much fallen in love with 12s. :)

First proper bass setup was a Yamaha RBX 260 with a P bass pickup and a Trace Elliot Commando 100 combo. That RBX actually had more thump than the American P I bought several years later.

Currently using Eden WTX 260, EBS Proline 2x12 and Overwater Progress III. The Eden and EBS has much clearer highs and tighter fatter lows and also much more transparent sounding than the Trace and Yamaha but it was a great little rock setup at the time, good times!

Memory gets a little confused at this point; Ibanez Roadstar 924 bass (named Lisa after the lady I was after) or Yamaha BB1100S, into either a Carlsbro Cobra 90 combo or Laney DP150 head and home-built cab.

Haven't gigged on bass for a while, but still have my trusty Music Man StingRay (15 years) and Peavey MegaBass head / MegaBox Cab rig (17 years).

Edited by Malc62

First post school paypacket in 1977, bought a mates first attempt at building a bass and his vox 60 watt head into a matching 1x18 cab....gigged it through the first year or two in various punk bands...traded the lot for a leather jacket.
Currently play whatever I've bought that week...through whatever I traded the week before .. :)

I survived on a beat up old Peavey combo for years. The thing weighed a tonne but I picked it up from an ex-player who's wife stuck it in the paper for £50. My mate & I picked it up in 1989 and I sold it on in 2007 for £100 to the guy who played bass with some ex-bandmates. He was electrocuted inside of 3 rehearsals!

These days I have an Ampeg SVT 115E cab that I use either an Ampeg SVT 150h or a 1978 Fender Bassman head with depending on how much power I need.

First gigging rig was a Peavey TNT150 combo which was changed after the first gig for a Trace 7210H cos it wasn;t loud enough. I then added a 1048H cab

Would've been using my Riverhead Jupiter bass back then - what an arse I was for selling it - I've been looking for one ever since.

2 weeks to my next gig and I'm sans gear - I should have my Trace 4x12" cab and possibly an Orange Bass Terror by then. My Black precision is on Evilbay until some time tomorrow.

Most probably I will be using a Hartke A100 and Epiphone Les Paul bass.

Edited by Delberthot

:)
Blimey... I was only talking(laughing) about this the other day.

As a schoolie in the early 80's I had to make do with an old H&H guitar amp with a reverb unit sat in the bottom... :lol:

To get my first BASS rig I drove [b]miles[/b] to get to get two 4 x 12 ORANGE cabinets and a head to match (in my vain attempts to emulate Bruce Foxton) back in the mid-late 80's .
I remember going at them with vanish soap , because they'd been stored in a barn and weren't "orange" enough... :rolleyes:
The head set on fire and the cabs were quickly sold soon after.

As if that wasn't heavy enough.. it was followed by a HH Bass machine head with an 8 x 10 cab.

I put it down to maturity now that BIG isn't [i]always[/i] beautiful :lol:

Now, I cart around two Aguilar 2 x 10 cabs and a Thunderfunk head.
Much easier on an old mans back.

Daz

[quote name='deaver' post='745050' date='Feb 14 2010, 06:01 PM']Burns Flyte through a WEM Dominator MkII. Somewhere I've got the photos to prove it, when I can dig them out I'll put them up here.[/quote]

Would love to see that pic!!!

Mine was Hondo P bass,, through a HH 100watt Pa head into a 15"cab... no-one complained at the time!!

My first ever at the time of my first gig was...

A large H&H combo on wheels... I have no idea what model and an Ibanez bass (If I recall it had something like TR Reeves written on the headstock)...? Sounded awful... but that was more to my playing...

Now - EBS Fafner & EBS Neo 212 and either My Overwater Evolution or my GB Spitfire...

My god how times have changed :-)

My first set up back in '75 was a Dan Armstrong DAN4 amplifier (100 watts with graphic eq) which sat on top af an HH 2x15 cab. My forst bass was a '62 P Bass.

Now, I use either a Markbass TA501 head or TC Electronics RH450 heads on top of Bergantino HT112/EX112 1x12 cabs. I also have a Markbass F500 and an Eden WT400 Traveller Plus which I got in '99 and I don't think I will ever part with. Still got the '62 P Bass and a bunch of other nice basses that I picked up on the way.

Edited by alanbass1

Mine was borrowed for about a year from a band mate.
twas a BC rich bass in cream (looked like duffs from GNR) and a laney dp 150 bass combo.
hated the bass as I wasn't fond of anything with pointy headstocks and I didnt understand the concept of action or playability on a bass. Managed to afford my own bass the following year which is still my number 1, good ole mex jazz bass.
Wasnt too fond of the combo either which I did buy as it was too big as a combo with 4x10 speakers and the controls had too many switches and dials that I didnt have a clue what to do with. sold it on finally about 2 years ago for 50 quid.

EDIT- oh yeah my current rig is yet another laney combo, got rid of my swr rig as it wasnt being used and the laney is on loan to a friend until I need it

Edited by Stu-khag

I had a Jim Deacon P-Bass copy and a Carlsbro Cobra 100W as my first ever setup about 8/9 years ago.

I now play a Streamer Stage I - I've been through more rigs than I care to remember over the last 3 years, but I'm currently rockin' a TecAmp L410 and an SWR Bass 750. Sounds sweet as a nut...

In 1972, a WEM 1x18 cab with a WEM 40watt head. Used a vox bass through it. Sounded grim but it did the bit.

Still have the vox bass, a very short and fast scale.

Met Charlie Watkins (Watkins Electronic Music) years later and took a mosfet amp from his hands in his workshop at his house. He was even graceful enough to be genuinely interested in my stories of that WEM rig and my questions about the Watkins Rapiers that were flying around the scene at the time. A legend in his own lunchtime.

T

:)