Why become a member? ×

Best bass solo

Clarky

In no particular order-just one's I can think of now.......

Willy Weeks-'Voices inside'
Marcus Miller-'Panther' ( 'Live and More' version)
Jaco Pastorius-'Havona'
Stanley Clarke-'School Days' and 'Vulcan Worlds'
Victor Wooten-'Sinister Minister'
John Patitucci-'Got a Match'
Janek Gwizdala-'Culture'
Jeff Berlin-'Joe Frazier'

And that's without thinking of Upright players.......

Lemmy - "Stay Clean" from Motorheads "Overkill" album.
Chris Squire - "The Fish" from the "Yessongs" triple live album.

Rickenbackers, plectrums, distortion & a teenage me blown away & addicted to bass playing for ever. :)

I've long since discovered more "sophisticated" players but the two examples I've given above still do it for me.

Edited by RhysP

Not sure what constitutes 'Best Bass Solo', but i like this one for being musical and melodic.
Marcus Miller Fretless solo on 'Friends & Strangers'..
I believe he was in his late teens when he played it.
Its from the Album 'Mountain Dance' with Dave Grusin.
Not a hundred notes a minute, but it is incredibly Lyrical.
Bass solo at about 02:50

Bit of a bum bandit album cover though.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I don't listen to a lot of music with bass as a lead instrument but I do like to hear it occasionally. The one that stands out for me is the warts and all production job on The Byrds Live at the Royal Albert Hall 1971 CD that came out a year or two ago with SKip Battin soloing on Eight Miles High

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='715607' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:35 PM']+ 1000

Colin is the man -- Even Stanley Clark says so!

B[/quote]

I have tried and tried to get into colins stuff,back door etc,and apprciate hes an amazing player but i just dont find it very funky,stanley clarke is much more the sort of stuff i like,things like journey into love and school days.

Simple but effective: the bass solo on Lenny Kravitz's "It ain't over 'til it's over".

Tacky eighties: there was a really really good bass solo on a 12" version of Freedom by Wham.

A solo from a song I actually like: Flea's solo from Aeroplane on One Hot Minute.

Once I get the chance to research the stuff on this thread, I may change my mind and wouldn't be at all surprised if I did given the wide experience of BC'ers generally.

However, for now, I'm going to say Jeff Berlin's Dixie.

I'll go away and try to work it out again now......

T

[quote name='Clarky' post='716098' date='Jan 17 2010, 10:30 PM']Wayne I do believe you are becoming predictable - see my OP :)[/quote]

Becoming? :rolleyes:

TBH Clarky it has to be posted, it's almost the law.

Oh and for some reason I have the same gear as him pretty much but I still can't play it, what's up with that? :lol:

Edited by waynepunkdude

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='715571' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:08 PM']I'd agree with you on that one. School Days is a staple one to learn as well. :)[/quote]

I'd thoroughly agree with that too.
However in my band it has taken on the status of Smoke on The Water or Purple Haze being played badly in a music shop.
I turn everything up and use it to shut up the Guitard's or keyboredist noodling at rehearsals between songs.

My earliest and probably still current favourite bass solo was Bert Ruiter's playing on Anonymous 2 by Focus. I guess that dates me somewhat.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzqWIz9wWs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzqWIz9wWs[/url] (part1)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxU44vMfhUw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxU44vMfhUw[/url] (part2)

Bass solo starts at 6:20 in part 1 (I couldn't find a single link) but the whole track is wonderful listening.
Very slow start and build-up but worth sticking with it (if you've not heard it before - IMHO).

If we're talking about solo bass in the literal sense, I have to agree with this:

[quote name='silddx' post='716256' date='Jan 18 2010, 01:17 AM']This one from one of our own ..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=61774&pid=716250&st=160&#entry716250"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry716250[/url][/quote]

Usually I run a mile but thus has got groove and a tune. Lovely.

Apart from that, the one that had a huge impact for me was Guy DeLacroix's solo on Jean Michel Jarre's Magnetic Fields I from the Live at Lyon CD. Not many notes, but 10/10 for 'I'M HEEEERE!' value.

Oh, and Willie Weeks on Voices Inside.

And Tony Levin at the end of Don't Give Up.

Brian Ritchie on Violent Femmes 'Please do not go' it's a bass solo on an Earthwood acoustic bass, if you're not familiar, google it when you go looking for the track. Madness.

Victor Wooten's fretless lead parts on 'Big Country' from the 'Live at the quick' album, tasty.

And on the 'Graceland Live in Africa' dvd Bakithi Kumalo leathers a solo into 'boy in the bubble' as well as doubling up the slap break on 'you can call me al'.

My all time 'wish it was me' solo is the one Mark King did on the 'live at Wembley' dvd, he starts with a cheeky chord strum, and ends up kicking the living bastard fook out of his Jaydee, not melodic or very clever, but, when I first saw it, It was like aliens had landed and I was watching the news.

Flea's ditty on 'Aeroplane' needs a mention as it was a bonafide actual hit with a bass solo, allbeit shortened for the radio.