Why become a member? ×

Sterling Ball does it again...

OutToPlayJazz

Must have taken him 5 mins to come up with that!!

Naah I'm joking, but I do prefer the look of the normal SR5. I think the new pointy shaped bass is quite nice in the right colour combo though. Not sure I would buy one (well, I wouldn't) but it's a bit different, at least.
ped

[quote name='Buzz' post='711989' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:08 PM']As I'm not fond of the scratchplate on the normal SR5, I think these are an improvement.[/quote]

Agree 100% to that.

The standard Ray 5 plate makes it not look like a Ray to me - the round scratchplate is all part of the Ray look to me, lol.

I just looked over on the forums at www.music-man.com

Seems they have the Classic Ray 4 and 5 as discussed, the Classic Sterling 4 as discussed, and a new Big Al 5 with a single fat humbucker.

I know EB MM have become a little unpopular recently, but im VERY impressed with whats going on. Vintage style instruments are massively in fashion with modern bands and those new classic line are very very nice. Perfect colours.

I know for a fact the Classic Ray 4 or 5 are definitely for me...love the necks and the colours. Once we have proper pricing in the UK and im sorted in Newcastle im going to HAVE to deposit one hahaha.

This isn't good for my GAS. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm so glad they've done this. I remember playing a SUB 5, and (apart from the Hammerite-esque finish) vastly preferred it to the regular Stingray 5. I was hoping it would survive the death of the SUB range, and here it is, complete with nicer finishes and a huge dose of retro! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='711997' date='Jan 13 2010, 11:18 PM']They always are on Ray 5's. Still very playable, though.[/quote]

Had a few mates who were always moaning about the G coming off the side of the fingerboard although I guess they could have done something about it if they wanted to.

[quote name='leschirons' post='712268' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:34 AM']Had a few mates who were always moaning about the G coming off the side of the fingerboard although I guess they could have done something about it if they wanted to.[/quote]

Both Bongo 5s I had gave me problems, so each time I filled the slot and cut a new one a string width in.

[quote name='ped' post='711971' date='Jan 13 2010, 09:56 PM']Must have taken him 5 mins to come up with that!!

Naah I'm joking, but I do prefer the look of the normal SR5. I think the new pointy shaped bass is quite nice in the right colour combo though. Not sure I would buy one (well, I wouldn't) but it's a bit different, at least.
ped[/quote]

Man, I hated the old SR5 design, which is why I loved my SUB5 so much, it looked and felt like a 'ray. These basses look lovely to my eye.

Gotta give it to EB (or SB), style-wise they seem to capture a great balance of retro and contemporary in their range that Fender and Gibson have never quite managed with theirs.

C

[quote name='Paul_C' post='712427' date='Jan 14 2010, 12:02 PM']Both Bongo 5s I had gave me problems, so each time I filled the slot and cut a new one a string width in.[/quote]

As you did for me also Paul, it was a real problem when I first got the Bongo, and not one that I could get used to.

C